• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mike D's deuce recovery/modification thread

skinnyR1

From another thread here I received this advice from Clinto, concerning the pinion flange pitting or using a sleeve....

..... let a machine shop polish the flange and if the groove didn't come out, let them turn the flange down slightly and use a different pinion seal with a slightly smaller inner diameter.

The exact quote and the meat of the advice: In this case we have a stock "shaft" diameter of 2-3/8"(= 60.3mm). Bore is 3.350", so what I normally do is resurface down to Ø 60mm, or little under if necessary, and install a 85(+)x60x10 (metric)seal. Normally they all come sligtly oversized and fit in well, even if our bore is 85.09mm. Or you could try to find one (not so popular) that comes bore =3.350" x shaft =2.343", any std.width.....

With all that said, I chose to buy a new flange from Boyce for $55 instead. I thought that was a fair price, vs machine shop cost or a 35 dollar sleeve.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can get a"ready sleeve" for the yoke or just try and find a replacement yoke . BTW 60 MPH is PAST 'all out' for your ride .

skinnyR1

BTW 60 MPH is PAST 'all out' for your ride .
I sort of agree with that statement.

With the bigger 395's, it cruises along relatively comfortably at 55 mph. 55 mph is about 2200 or 2300 rpm now.

60 is kinda pushing it, as far as the braking capabilities are concerned, and the general comfortable feel of the truck. I agree with that, but on the open highway with an empty truck I, in my opinion, feel ok with that speed. I'll drop the rear tire pressure and will probably smooth it out some more.

I gotta say though, after putting 500 miles or so on my deuce, part of ownership is accepting the feeling like at any moment the thing is going to come apart. The shakes, rattles, groans, and general feel of driving a barn with a park bench behind a steering wheel down the road are part of its character.

skinnyR1

Opted to take the truck into work this morning. 10 degrees out, it started on the third try. My batteries aren't strong, so I have to make sure of my starting procedure. I choose not to use the manifold heater as it seems to just dump fuel on the turbo and kill the batteries quicker. With the dual 650 cca rebuilt batteries that are in my truck, I maybe get about 45 seconds of cranking on a cold morning till they are dead or to weak to turn the motor fast enough.

1. Turn the power on, let fuel pump run for about 15 seconds.
2. Pull out the engine stop lever, and crank for about 5 seconds. Obviously nothing will happen.
3. Wait 30 seconds. Reset the engine stop lever so it will run.
4. Crank for 5 -10 seconds with foot to the floor until white smoke comes out of the exhaust, indicating I have fuel.
5. Wait 30 seconds.
6. Crank again floored. It will usually start at this point, or at least hiccup indicating it will start soon.

I also received my new pinion flange yesterday, so while it was warming up, I installed that. I also dropped the rear tires down to about 32 psi.

Proceeded to drive the 25 miles into work. Half of it is down the highway. The dropped tire pressure is like night and day. The truck now runs smoothly down the highway. I would venture to say that it is ALMOST comfortable to drive it in at 55 mph. Almost. Haha. But it is much much better to drive now. I am quite happy with it.

I put a set of blindspot mirrors on, and can actually see vehicles that are around the truck.

The pinion isn't leaking now, so that is one less leak to worry about. At this point, I think that the truck is pretty well sorted. I still have a pile of parts to install, as well as my relay box to convert 24v to 12v for a trailer. Fun fun fun. I really enjoy this truck.

Last edited:

skinnyR1

I'm sick of the truck slobbering all over my driveway, and more importantly, the parking lot at work. People have started to notice where I park. So i decided to make a cheap catch can.
Rakor sells one for $100 but im cheap.

$15 worth of pvc and some paint, and im all set now. Ill have to dump it periodically but that's no big deal.

I also wanted to flip my wiper motors so im not lookin thru them, but in the process I broke the shaft off. Ill have to drill it and put a cotter pin in instead.

uploadfromtaptalk1394317666525.jpguploadfromtaptalk1394317678692.jpguploadfromtaptalk1394317691159.jpguploadfromtaptalk1394317704636.jpg

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my truck from Kublos back in June of last year and after putting the slober extention on it, I can def see vapor. I have noticed my front right axle next to the slober tube does have some oil on it. I have come to realize that there are very small leaks. On the plus size, I wont have to worry about rust. :)

Mine doesn't slobber that bad at all there is a little spot and that's it.

Hey skinny pm your address and I'll send you a spare motor I have..... it doesn't work and I can't figure out why but the parts are good. You need the shaft that runs through to the wiper arm?

skinnyR1

You are the man. Yes, I just mainly need the shaft and maybe the nut, since it broke off in the nut. Whatever ya got ill make work thank you so much. I owe ya one.

skinnyR1

Started to install sound deadening today. I decided to cut up 3/4 inch thick rubber stall mats from tractor supply, and line the floors with it. Ill post some pics tomorrow.

On a side note, I noticed some rust under the rocker panels. Rust from the inside out. The door sills have plugs in the top. The front most plug is missing. These plugs are on the sill that is covered when the door is shut.
Are all plugs supposed to be in place? Why are they set up like that anyway? I t seems that without the plugs water is allowed into the sill, causing the rust that I have.

That's exactly what I was going to do. The $40 matts?

Also on the rockers mine are the same rotting from the inside out and the passenger side is really bad. Idk how I'm going to fix it.... It's bad....

welldigger

Ditto. I'm gonna cut the rot out the best I can. Then I'm going to drill holes so at least the water can drain instead of sitting there. Especially in the front bottom corners of the cab.