• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mike D's deuce recovery/modification thread

skinnyR1

I installed the aero xl3535 muffler in a snow storm today. I made a custom bracket to attach it, so that the clamp is moved up about 10 inches.

I will cut the top off and put a flapper on it next week. The top is about ten feet high. Not real happy about how the height looks, but I am sure it will be quieter.

Didn't get to run it as I bought 1/2 id instead of 1/2 od fuel line. I took it off before I noticed. Ill report back later on the sound reduction. Ill also take it all off and paint it up later.

I also dumped the oil and installed the spin on filters. Easy. There was a bit of antifreeze in the bottom of the oil, but kilos changed the head gasket s with out dumping all the oil, so hopefully it was just some left over. uploadfromtaptalk1390073327169.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390073349137.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390073364796.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390073379232.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390073390597.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390073401702.jpg

skinnyR1

I got the correct fuel line and drove it around today. The exhaust is quiet now, but it now just makes all the other noises more noticeable. I didn't take it on the highway, but around town is quieter.

I fixed the fuel tank leak, but the ip is still leaking. And the pinion seal is leaking really bad now.

I need the correct pipe tap to finish my turbocator install.

Oh, and one wheel has a slow leak apparently.....

skinnyR1

Some pictures of the turbocator....

Looks like I need a new hard line from the ip to the most forward cylinder. Leaks worse now.

I pulled the seal out on the pinion, just waiting for the replacement to show up.

The 3/4 inch impact wrench from harbor freight was the best 75 bucks I have spent so far on this project. It has turned everything right off.

uploadfromtaptalk1390248333118.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390248349146.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390248360063.jpg

skinnyR1

I made some additional progress this week toward eliminating leaks, although I haven't road tested it yet due to the cold salty weather conditions.

Instead of buying a new hardline for the ip to the cylinder, I cut a 1/4 off the end of the tube and used a new parker 1/4 inch bite ferrule. I got them from Grainger. Napa didn't have them.

I will have to road test it to see if it leaks or not, as it never did at idle.

I also pressed in the new pinion seal and buttoned up the rest of the turbocator.

Also just picked up a set of fiberglass troop seats for a good price. I was shocked to actually find them local. They came off a 5 ton, but are the same.

Pics are of the fuel line. Old vs new ferrules. uploadfromtaptalk1391016428148.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391016445563.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391016477395.jpg

skinnyR1

Took it for a drive today. Fuel leaks are fixed. Pinion leak fixed.

Got the fiberglass troop seats installed. Much better.

I was looking to get a baseline for my egts. Max I could run it up to was about 1100f and about 7 pounds of boost. So I have some room to turn up the fuel. It is quite hilly where I live, so the truck needs all the help it can get.

I am still slightly concerned with the slobber tube. It puffs vapor out constantly, and drips oil at about a drop every 30 seconds when I come to a stop. Oil pressure is about 25 psi at idle when hot. Fresh oil change with rotella 15w40. Not sure if that is normal or not. Of course, I would rather it didn't leak at all.

Any thoughts on the slobbering?

I found a local 5 ton to snap some pics next to today when I was out and about. uploadfromtaptalk1391314731069.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391314746470.jpg

welldigger

Had the truck been sitting a while? Sometimes you can have a stuck ring and after a good hard drive it will clear up the slobbering....mostly. Otherwise I wouldn't really be too worried about it. Not until it really starts venting some pressure.

skinnyR1

I am essentially the first person to drive it after the government owned it. I drove it back from Pennsylvania, about 250 miles down the highway. I woulda figured that would have cleaned it out or freed things up, but no change. It puked a good amount of oil on that voyage, probably 1/2 quart or so.
I guess my question is, how much blowby and oil from the slobber tube is normal? I have 28k and 1000 hours on the clock.

welldigger

Honestly, I'm not really sure. Mine will drip a little but my slobber tube rotted off who knows how long ago. So my starter and top of my axle have a nice coat of oil. However, it isn't fresh. More like years of build up. Even on a cold day I don't see much if any vapor coming from mine at an idle. I don't believe my truck uses any oil either. But I can't say that for sure since I have been battling fuel contamination of my engine oil until a few months ago.

skinnyR1

So, some thoughts on the truck as it is seemingly always on my mind...

I took it down the highway for the first time with the new wheels and tires, and muffler, this past weekend. On the flats, runs great and keeps up with traffic no problem. The speedo is waaaaay off, so I really have no idea how fast I am going, but most of the time it feels like I am going about 100 mph. In reality, I am sure I was doing about 60 mph, running 2300 ish rpm's.

If I hit bumps on the highway at that speed, the back end would start bouncing, and wouldn't stop until I back off the throttle. I need to play with the tire pressures. Currently, I have 40 psi in the rears, and 50 in the front. I am going to try dropping the rear pressure to alleviate the bouncing.

On the back roads in the hills, it is a dog. I have some pretty steep grades by me where I have to leave it in 2nd as there is a stop light at the bottom. Thats ok, Im not in a hurry.

As for the muffler, it is doing what I hoped it would do. Granted, everything in the truck is still noisy, but I don't NEED ear protection on the highway anymore. Having a conversation with a passenger? That would be questionable except for around town travel. I am happy with it though, but still intend to cut it down some to add on the flapper.

And now the slobber tube. This was bothering me, but I realized that the mess on the axle was not all from the road draft tube, but mostly from the leaking pinion. On my recovery run from PA, I thought the mess was from the slobber tube, but in reality, most of it was a pinion leak. Yes, the slobber tube does drip oil if you are running down the highway, and it does exhaust vapor out of it constantly, but I believe it to be normal. I have yet to compare to anyone else local, but I think it is ok. I threw in a quart of Lucas, we'll see if that helps it. I previously did a fresh oil change to 15w/40. I read on here that running straight 30w helps it, so maybe adding the lucas will aid.

I still have quite a few parts to install moving forward, and other tasks;

1. Locking handles from those military guys.
2. Spin on main and secondary fuel filter
3. All new coolant hoses
4. Spin on coolant filter
5. I am putting my own snorkel together. Most of the items came from Summit, but I am also waiting for the Donaldson scoop, which is coming from Australia.
6. Receiver Hitch from TM America
7. There is some rust spots on the fenders and rockers that I want to address.
8. I bought 3 color Behr samples, so that I can paint the added parts come spring time.
9. I want to rinoline the inside of the cab, and the bed.
10. The windows roll up crooked. Not sure how to align them just yet.

It keeps me busy. And I love the truck.

welldigger

Try running 35 psi in the front tires and 30 in the rears. I know it seems low but trust me the difference is amazing. Basically I set my tire pressure by parking on flat concrete or asphault. Then get down in front of or behind the tire and look at the tread contact patch. You want it to be flat all the way across. If your sidewalls bulge a bit at the bottom thats ok. Radials are supposed to do that.

As to the engine oil, don't waste your money on lucas. It just dilutes the additive package in your oil. 15w-40 is the best all around oil. 30w is thinner anyways so it won't help blow by. Neither will lucas to any beneficial extent.

When you figure the windows out let me know cause I think my truck does it too......

Also Idk how far you opened you wallet up for the snorkle but I just got this one for $35 from ebay. Granted it came from Malaysia and took two weeks to get here but I'm extremely happy with it. It's only going to take a little work and should be perfect.

20140204_174322.jpg

skinnyR1

Awesome Thread!! Truck looks great, lots of great info and experience for a noob to read.
Thanks. I have many many hours if not days searching on the forum here, for answers to questions that were previously asked but not necessarily answered. Hopefully by posting what I have done it helps others.

skinnyR1

When you figure the windows out let me know cause I think my truck does it too......

Also Idk how far you opened you wallet up for the snorkle but I just got this one for $35 from ebay. Granted it came from Malaysia and took two weeks to get here but I'm extremely happy with it. It's only going to take a little work and should be perfect.

View attachment 476099

Dam. Oh well, too late I guess. I did get the donaldson name one though.

I paid $100 shipped. I still don't have it yet and I paid for it a couple weeks ago. Ill post up when I get in, but it looks just like yours.

GrizzlyEater

Thanks for the post. I love following threads like this. I have yet to buy a Deuce, hopefully in the near future I can officially join the club. However in the mean time I get to live vicariously through you guys (my wallet thanks you though!) Keep up the good work I will be following this post!

skinnyR1

View attachment 476099
Mine came in this weekend. Its a 4". Is yours the 3.5"? I scoured eBay before I bought mine and didn't see any besides from Australia.

I have all the rest of the components, I am going to index them and have someone with welding skills (not me) finish it up.

Yeah mine is the 3.5" but if you cut the bottom off it opens up to 4"..... It's a shame your not closer I'm a certified welder and supervisor in a welding and fab shop lol

skinnyR1

Took the opportunity to drive the truck into work today. 25 miles, half of it highway speeds.

I haven't really had the opportunity to play with the tire pressures, and subsequently still find that the truck starts to bounce the rear end on the highway. It really depends on the road harmonics, or smoothness of the pavement, when going around 60mph.

The muffler is AWESOME. Even at highway speeds, you don't need hearing protection.

Unfortunately, the front pinion seal is still leaking, even after I changed the seal. Much less, but is dripping down the pumpkin. When I replaced the seal, I did notice that the yoke was pitted. I smoothed it out the best I could with fine sand paper and a brillo pad, but I suspect the pitting is causing the leak still.

From research, I see the pitting is common on other vehicles. The solution is either replace the yoke, or us a redi-sleeve/speedi sleeve. Hasn't anyone used one of these to correct this? What size/part number is needed?

The other remedy for this is front locking hubs, I suppose. But I still want to fix the leak the right way.