• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

DSVet

Not sure where the North Dakota Forestry Dept got the truck from. Truck has a multifuel engine in it as well.
Do you know what fire dept. (that the Forest Service loaned it to) had it last?

The last Fire Dept. in North Dakota, that I know of, that got rid of a Forest Service pumper truck like this was Sanborn, ND Fire Dept..

DSVet

This is the truck from the Sanborn fire dept. lol
Great, I was wondering who ended up with that truck. Glad you got it.

I do not know where it originally came from either. I know the 530 pumpers at Camp Grafton where red (one was replaced around the early 1990's). There were two 530C pumpers at the Air Force Station FD at Concrete that where lime yellow. They were disposed of in the early 1990's. The 530 pumper at the former MSR Site FD at Nekoma was gotten rid of in the mid-1970's. I do not know if MAFB, GFAFB or the Air National Guard Fire Dept' in Fargo ever had 530 trucks.

There was a military installation near Finley, ND and one just south of Minot, ND, but I do not know if they ever military fire departments on those installations.

66Reo6X6

Thanks for the info! Haven't really done much research regarding the trucks history. It is always nice to know these things though. Have you heard of these trucks having a multi-fuel diesel engine in them. This one says it was a gas engine on the dash plaques and is a M44.

t

milfireguy

The 530Bs from that era were equipped with gasoline engines. I have TM-5-4210-200-20 , July 1960 for the Fire Master 530Bs. If there are Corps of Engineers data plates on the vehicle they may provide information.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might seem like a weird question, but has anyone seen a gun ring or weapons mount on a military fire truck, whether it be a 530 series or not? I know being a fire truck, it is kinda lumped in with ambulances as vehicles that are not SUPPOSED to have weapons mounted, but not sure what the ROE are in the Iraq/Afghanistan theater of ops that might require mounted guns for self-defense while in convoy, etc.

tamangel

Attachments

Last edited:

gabby4244

I'm in the process of making a seriously offer on a truck that starts with 50. the seller says it was a FD truck, NOW I know !! Thanx for the great info !!!!!!fat lady sings

gabby4244

Will do ! Been on the hunt for a while. Started out looking for the early 40's g506, didn't matter what style, cargo, tipper ... just love the truck !! Then I realized after some home work on this site,(which is fantastic !!), that another style is the fire truck ! Have looked from west coast, right to my own backyard !! Stumbled over 4 cargo's in my area alone !! Look hard enough, poke around enough and ask enough ?'s, wow there out there !!!!!!! The one I really like happens to be a FD truck. Having spent a full career in the Fire Dept. in NYC, what a cool thing to have !!!! The year I like and a FD truck ! Tho ONLY problem is, it has no bed and it was just nicely paint, but the wrong color, but with the correct #'s on the hood !! So if it works out, I'll put a cargo bed on and maybe repaint the whole thing !!!!!! :smile::smile::grd::smile::smile:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chaplain's Note to the Troops, who may also be FIREFIGHTERS:

WOW ! This thread has over 87,000 Views, and no telling how many Subscribers.

I can only begin to imagine how many of you are, have been or want to be FIREFIGHTERS.
While this post is blatantly "off topic", I couldn't think of a better place in the SteelSoldiers forums to place this INVITATION.

To ALL SteelSoldiers Firefighters:

1. If you've never visited the Chaplains Corner, I'd like to suggest that you check it out.
2. If the FIREFIGHTER in you thinks that most churches don't seem to relate to you and your special needs, lifestyle and schedule; then I'd like to particularly urge you to click on the link below and see that there IS a place where you can be fed spritually. Check out the "FirefighterChurch" website that I've posted about in the Chaplains Corner here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?101015-2013-Sunday-Sermons
It's in Post #11 of that thread.

May y'all be blessed in all ways, always.

We now return you to this really cool Military Fire Trucks topic.

"That is all."

tamangel

Army Firefighting..New Book..

saw this book, published in December, looks promising..just a heads up.. its on Amazon with some pages to look at.... Mike W..

ResizeImageHandler.ashx.jpg

Last edited:

tamangel

1953 ex-USAF O-11A..

USAF 011A CRASH TRUCK Nice survivor..
ebay item # 151059587782
auction ended, start price: $2000.00, sold for $3050.00 w/ 6 bids

Sellers Vehicle Description
OWN A VERY RARE USAF 011A CRASH TRUCK. 6X6
THIS TRUCK IS A STANDARD 5 TON CHASSIS WITH AN ALL ALUMINUM BODY
IT RUNS, STOPS AND IS ROAD LEGAL. HAS A CLEAR TITLE.
REBUILT CONTENETAL 825CI
NEW BRAKES
NEW FUEL TANK
NEW ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP
NEW BATTERIES
THERE IS NO PUMP. ALL PLUMBING FOR PUMPING WATER HAS BEEN REMOVED. IT DOES HAVE A 900 GALLON TANK IN BACK.
IT WILL NEED 4 14X20 TIRES. WHEN HAD IT TRANSPORTED THE GUYS WHO DELIVERED LET THE AIR OUT OF TIRES AND THEN BACKED IT OFF TRAILER AND TURNED IT AROUND AND SHREDDED 4 TIRES.
additional:
WAS MANUFACTURED IN 1953 BY AMERICAN LA FRANCE
DELIVERED TO ELGIN AFB WHERE IT SERVED TIL 1989 AND RELEASED TO A LOCAL FIRE DEPT FROM DRMO.
S/N 53 L 5358
TRUCK AS IT SITS: 30' LONG - 23' FROM FRONT OF FRONT TIRE TO REAR OF REAR TIRE - 8' WIDE - 11' TALL TIRES DEFLATED - ESTIMATING 27000LBS -
WAS TRANSPORTED IN THE PAST ON A 28' DROP DECK EQUIPTMENT TRAILER. IS NOT AN OVERSIZED LOAD.
MIGHT BE RARE BUT ALL COMPONETS LOOK TO BE AVAILABLE AS ITS A 6X6 5 TON CHASSIS, MOTOR AND RUNNING GEAR.

more info here on O11A's:
http://svsm.org/gallery/o11a_firetruck
http://www.strategic-air-command.com/gallery/future-use/O-11A Aircraft Fire Truck.htm
additional USAF fire truck history/pic's:
http://www.firetrucks-atwar.com/af.html

Mike W

standard disclaimer: I have no connection w/ this truck, ebay, buyer, bidders, or seller.. Placed here for historic research and vehicle reference only... (I wait until auction is over to post info due to forum rules..)

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought and sold this one.

1970 International R185. Red Diamond RD-501 engine
It was a GSA Forestry truck.

Originally stationed at Rocky Mountain Arsenal, CO. Now on parade duty in Hopkinsville, KY

Attachments

neil2007

Got a real quick question for the Military Fire Truck folks out here! First off, I apologize in advance if this post is a little out of place... but I want it to get to those who might be very interested in this.

Pics can be seen at: http://530B.letsgettwisted.com

530BSmall.jpg

I have a 1954 Reo 530B Fire Master M44 that served at the Chanute AFB, in Rantoul Ill. It has the OA331 Gas motor and is currently ALL ORIGINAL except for a gas tank mod and some wiring. After Chanute, it served as Honey Creek Township Fire Dept. FIRST engine, Engine #3, then Otter Creek, then served it's final days at the Burnett FD (All in Vigo County, Indiana.) before being retired to the woods where it sat for 13 years before I found it and set out to save it and bring it back to life!!! :)

CLEAN AND CLEAR INDIANA TITLE

I am currently in the need for a deuce that I can modify and build to suite my needs. I hate the thought of modifying one of the last COMPLETE original (NON-modded) 530B's out there that has a documented history, so I am putting this up for a quick discussion to see what your collective thoughts are.

I am interested in gauging interest in Trading Deuce for Deuce. What I am looking for is a cab and chassis with preferably a turbo charged diesel (I love the whistle! :) If anyone would like to discuss this further, please pm me or if you know of someone who would possibly be interested in this, please have them pm me!

Thank you for your time and interest. I really love the Military Fire Trucks and hate to go down this road, but I've got a specific need that I have to find a solution to and this may be a good start that keeps another Awesome historical Fire Truck around!

Neil
(neil2007)

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks