• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

tamangel

1952 gmc m135 brush truck 1/3

ebay auction item # 270424739743
auction ended: Jul-18-09 10:24:45 PDT
sold @ $1351.00 w/ 11 bids

1952 M135 BRUSH TRUCK, 6CYLINDER GAS MOTOR, WATER TANK(MISSING PUMP), 4800 MILES. POWER SHIFT TRANS, PTO WINCH, AIR OVER HYD BRAKES, ALL NEW BRAKES AND AIR VALVES, STEERING WAS REDONE WTH AN AIR POWER STEERING. TRUCK CAME FROM VA MEDICAL CENTER FIRE DEPT. TRUCK IS VERY SOLID, FEW MINOR RUST SPOTS. TRUCK SAT INDOOR FOR A LONG TIME, VERY LITTLE USE ON IT. PAINT NEEDS GOOD DETAIL JOB, DRIVER SIDE WINDOW CRACKED. HERE'S THE PROBLEM, MOTOR DON'T RUN, THEY CLAIM, TRUCK WAS DRIVEN IN, PARKED FOR FEW YEARS AND WOULD NOT START NOW. I PUT A WRENCH ON THE CRANK AND COULD NOT TURN IT, OIL LOOKS GOOD, ANTI FREEZ LOOKS GOOD. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PULL PLUGS AND DROP SOME OIL IN THE PISTONS. TRUCK IS COMPLETE. TRUCK LOOKS VERY WELL MAINTAINED. DRIVER SIDE WINDOW NOT CRACKED AND IS GOOD, DRIVER SIDE WINDSHIELD HAS ONE STRIGHT CRACK. MANY OF YOU WANTS TO KNOW IF ITS A HARD TOP. YES, ITS RARE HARD TOP, ELEC HOSE REEL AND ALL LIGHTS WORKS FINE. TANK HAS NO LEAKS.

no connections w/ seller..info only

Mike

Attachments

99dodge1500

What axels are those I have a set of them, and was wondering if they were the same bolt pattern as Rockwells?, Sorry if I stole your thread, but didn't want to start a new one for a question that is pertaining to your trucks.

tamangel

1943 Ford Army Firetruck Class 325 4x2

Not much Left.. but hey, 'very good condition..'

ebay item # 290335027333
auction ended/did not sell / no bids
Start price $700.00 Buy it now $3000.00

1943 Ford Army Firetruck Class 325 4x2
1943 Army firetruck. Truck in very good condition. Not running motor turns odometer shows 04066 miles.

no connection w/ seller// info only...

Mike W

Attachments

530c6x6

Amertek MACI 2500L being restored

I justed picked up the 1990-2008 version of the Army "tactical" firefighting truck. Here are some pictures. I previously restored a 530C.

I'm looking for some of the tools such as crash rescue tool roll, Vestanks, K12 saw and grappling hook

Jeff
member MVPA SPAAMFAA ,Absecon Fire Dept. , Belmar Fire Dept , New Jersey Forest Fire Service C division

tamangel

CCKW fire truck

an old ad but thought I would put it here anyway just for reference..

Vehicles of Victory, LLC » Vehicles for Sale

scroll down to CCKW Fire Truck

my friend Jim Davis (http://www.firetrucks.mil-fire.net/)

had these comments:
If this truck was one of 50 built towards the end of WW II it would have been a CLASS 335 (300 gallon per minute front bumper mounted pump) conversion kit. That is it was not built as a fire truck from the wheels up but was a fire truck body (factory built) installed on a 2-1/2 on 6x6 GMC platform with the rest of the equipment needed to complete the job cannibalized from a smaller fire truck.

There are two ways to learn if this a 325:
1. if you have the pump see what the GPM is.
2. see if you can read the USA Registration number on either side of the hood or the back of the fire truck body, If he number starts with a 4, the truck is a CLASS 335.
3. if the number starts with a 50 the truck is a CLASS 530 (500 GPM FBRM pump). Only 24 of these trucks were ordered in the closing days of WW II. However after the war it and its 3 successors became the Army's standard field fire truck through the Vie Nam War.

info only..

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

tamangel

CCKW Fire Truck post #189

I didn't see a place to advise others that there is a truck for sale..not on ebay..hope this is OK..if not, advise and I'll just put up the pic's here and no mention of it for sale..see post #189.. The guy says best offer as he needs to move it soon.. original ad from 2008 is here: scroll down..its in Mt Shasta off I5 in Northern California..

Vehicles of Victory, LLC » Vehicles for Sale

contact info in ad is still current...

have included a few more pic's also

no connection with seller/just like to have someone save this rig..

again, if I wasn't supposed to do this here..let me know...

Mike

edit, more info on this truck from my friend, Jim Davis ( http://www.firetrucks.mil-fire.net/ )

1. It originally did not have a cab, just a soft canvas top. The cab then is after market some years later.
2. The truck is equipped with what appears to be a factory installed, front bumper mounted winch. That it is factory installed is attested to by the sheet metal work in the cab floor. Note the winch engagement lever slot is professionally done, not jut a hole hack-sawed in the panel. This suggests the truck started life after May 1943 as a Long Wheel Base 2-1/2 ton 6x6 GMC cargo or dump truck, not a fire truck.
3. The wheels and tires on your truck appeared on only 3 GMC vehicles in WW II"
a. The "Duck or DUKW" the amphibious version of the 2-1/2 ton 6x6 GMC.
b. What was known as the "Bolster Truck" or what we westerners would call a logging truck.
c. The first models of the CLASS 530 Army Engineer Fire Truck - see attachment.
d. They did not appear on any other of the GMC or like vehicles.
4. That your truck has a fire truck body is not to be questioned, It does. But is it Army of WW II vintage? I do not think so.

Lets talk about your pictures: (edit: does not apply to pic's below-some info same)
1. Pix 0006. at he bottom right corner of the rear of the fire truck body is what appears to be a builder's tag. What does it say?
2. Pix 0011.In the cab on the dashboard are a number of plates containing a variety of data and information. If any tag identifies this vehicle as fire truck and/or its CLASS I would like to know. If possible can you give me a photo of that tag and all of them if it can be done?
3. Pix 0012.The left front fender shows no holes where the siren/red light combo would have been mounted. This was standard on all WW II Army Engineer fire trucks.
4. Pix 0018. Looking down on the cab floor from above and left to right are:
a. the transmission shift lever.
b. the parking brake.
c. the transfer case shift lever.
d. the front wheel drive shift lever.
e. between this row of levers and the front of the seat cushion are two levers. The left hand lever's function is unknown and does not appear in the literature. The right hand level is the winch engagement lever.
5.Pixs 0008 and 0015. The fire truck body shown here goes not resemble any body, produced or used by the US Army in WW II. It is possible it is a surplus WW II Navy/Marine Corps body.

With all of the above said, what are my thoughts on your truck?
1. It is a WW II Army truck, probably a "Bolster Truck", on which has been installed a fire truck body of unknown origin.
2. The non Army fire truck body and the lack of a front bumper mounted (FBR) mounted pump and the presence of a FBR mounted winch rules out the truck being either a CLASS 335 or CLASS 530.
3. The lever (function unknown) on the cab floor suggests a mid-ship mounted pump of unknown make, capacity and drive.

In late March 1945 the Army Corps of engineers (COE) ordered 50 Conversion kits to create 50 CLASS 335 fire trucks. At the same time they ordered 24 CLASS 530s. Your truck is neither of these and so cannot be one of the last 50.

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are numerous Military Firefighting Vehicles on display at Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX. Goodfellow is the home of the US Military Joint Services (land based) Firefighting Training Center. Along the troopwalk are covered pavilions so that the students can see their history up close and personal.

Here's a link to the Foundation's Gallery.... Check out their links for more about what can be found here. (NOTE: Goodfellow is also home for Joint Military Intelligence Training and therefore is a "Closed Base". You've got to have proper I.D. & "need to know" to access the Base.)

Military Fire Fighter Heritage Foundation of San Angelo Texas

More vehicles have recently been added - I'm hoping they'll update their Gallery soon.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember that german truck (Magirus Deutz (1951)) from Bitburg when I was stationed there in 1973-75.. Wonder how it got to Texas..?

Mike
I wish I could tell you, but......

If you go the the HOME link on that site, there's a contact email address.... You might be able to hollar at them for some background.

tamangel

1942 Mack Model 125 fire truck

a 2 year old article but nice pic that I hadn't seen before:

"Fire truck comes to Goodfellow display

Posted 2/12/2007 y

by Dr. Paul Garrett
17th Training Wing Historian

2/12/2007 - GOODFELLOW AIR FORCE BASE, Texas -- On Saturday, a C-130 Hercules from the 910th Airlift Wing, Youngstown, Ohio, landed at Mathis Field and came to a stop just north of the terminal. As the ramp came down, a signature chrome bulldog became visible. Inside was a 1942 Mack Model 125 fire truck.

The Mack was part and parcel of what was going on in the world at the time. When it rolled off the assembly line in Allentown, Pennsylvania, in 1942, Franklin Roosevelt was in his third term as President and the United States was at war. Aircraft production soared to meet the war effort, creating an immediate demand for specialized vehicles designed to fight aircraft crash fires and rescue aircrews. Carrying three high-pressure hoses plus on-board foam and carbon dioxide fire extinguishers, the six-cylinder Mack crash truck brought just such state-of-the-art fire protection to Army Air Fields across the United States.

Sixty-five years later, the Mack comes to Goodfellow from the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, where it served before retiring to the museum in the 1950s. Here, at Goodfellow, it will join the world's largest exhibit of military firefighting vehicles, becoming the thirteenth vehicle in our Military Firefighter Heritage Display. It will also become the oldest, though it will hold that distinction only until Goodfellow receives a second antique fire truck from the National Museum, a 1941 Ford structural pumper scheduled to arrive at Mathis Field in a few weeks.

Goodfellow will exhibit both World War II trucks beneath the new pavilion going up next to the Fallen Military Firefighter Memorial, near the center of the display on East Vance Street. To make that happen, volunteers from the Military Firefighter Heritage Foundation will donate their time and resources over the next several months to restore both trucks to their original luster. Goodfellow hopes to have them on display later this summer. "

caption under picture:
"A 1942 Mack Model 125 fire truck on the flightline at Mathis Field San Angelo Regional Airport. The fire truck, to be used as a static display at the outdoor museum on Goodfellow, was transported by a C-130 Hercules from the 910th Airlift Wing, Youngstown, Ohio. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Angela Malek.)"

same story/info link:
Feature - Fire truck comes to Goodfellow display

Mike

note: black and white phot0 (also a '42) from this site:
B

Attachments

tamangel

found a few more pics on this site listed on another recent thread: (used search term: fire truck )

Photos and Videos: Military Trucks, Jeeps, and Armored Vehicles

Captions with each photo,
photo #1:
Kaiser Jeep Model 530 6x6 Firetruck manufactured in 1966 with both foam and water capability

photo#2:
USAF 437th Military Airlift Wing firefighter in a proximity suit with P-4 fire/rescue truck, Melville Hall Airport during exercise Camille, 3 May 1987

photo #3:
Truck, Fire WWII

photo #4:
M-series trucks equipped with fire appararatus, Fire Station #1, Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, AL, July 1958

photo #5:
A firefighter wearing a proximity suit operateds a high pressure water cannon on the top of a US Navy P-15 fire truck, NAS, Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, Dec 1986

photo #6:
Firefighters aboard a P-15 fire truck prepare to spray foam onto a fire caused by the explosion of a 40,000 gallon JP-4 storage tank, 5 Apr 1986

photo #7:
USMC P-19 Crash Fire Rescue truck from Marine Wing Support Squadron 272 (MWSS-272), rushes toward the flight line at an undisclosed location in Kuwait during Operation Iraqi Freedom, 23 Apr 2003

photo #8:
P-15 fire truck offloaded from a C-5 Galaxy aircraft, Ramstein AFB, Germany, 23 May 1980

photo #9:
USAF 437th Military Airlift Wing firefighters check over their P-4 aircraft fire/rescue truck, Melville Hall Airport during exercise Camille, 3 may 1987

Mike

Attachments

Victorkimbrough

fire truck needed

dear sir
i hope you get this im not formilure with this site yet but its a good one i will say that im a ex army firefighter/combat medic and im from a community just north of Abilene TX which has never had a fire truck and I know could never give you what this truck is worth to you considering the great care that has been put into it but I would like to make a offer of $4,500
thanks Vic

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dear sir
i hope you get this im not formilure with this site yet but its a good one i will say that im a ex army firefighter/combat medic and im from a community just north of Abilene TX which has never had a fire truck and I know could never give you what this truck is worth to you considering the great care that has been put into it but I would like to make a offer of $4,500
thanks Vic

The west Texas Detachment of the SS (just down the road in San Angelo) welcomes the new guy from Abilene, TX aboard:) Find a bunk, stow your gear and prepare to get underway:driver: You'll find this site to be AWESOME:jumpin:

Again - - - Welcome aboard:!:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks