• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military vehicles at car shows

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one of the 931's and the MKT at a car show recently. I was actually there so another member could use the MKT to provide lunch. Ended up with the Organizers Choice award.

A couple of years ago, I was at a show with the other 931, got the Judges' Choice in that one.

Won a couple of awards at other shows with the V.

At all of these shows, the vehicles were entered as display only, but still got awards. They like MV's around here.

Cheers

Attachments

ageregunner

This is a very interesting thread to me. I have been approached about displaying my deuce at the Wheels of Time event, this August, in Macungie, PA. The Wheels of Time are a street rod organization, but this year their theme is to be a salute to the military and military veterans. I have been on the fence about participating in this event. This thread has me strongly considering participating in this event. For Steel Soldiers members in the eastern PA area, PM me and I will give you the details and contacts if you want to participate in this event.

1944mb

This is a very interesting thread to me. I have been approached about displaying my deuce at the Wheels of Time event, this August, in Macungie, PA. The Wheels of Time are a street rod organization, but this year their theme is to be a salute to the military and military veterans. I have been on the fence about participating in this event. This thread has me strongly considering participating in this event. For Steel Soldiers members in the eastern PA area, PM me and I will give you the details and contacts if you want to participate in this event.
I was hesitant about bringing my freshly acquired deuce to the car show too, and parade. Never really been into "showing off". But I found through this experience that people really enjoy seeing them; military veterans, and general public alike. I cant speak for everyone else, but I was into letting people look at it, touch it, let the kids climb into the back(put the troop stairs in place)etc. I plan to have more of a display next year. They are really unique amongst the motor vehicle enthusiasts, and although many of the car show people turn their noses up towards it, kind of feel like it was my duty to display it. Nothing is neater to me that seeing OD iron amongst the chrome! To me a military vehicle is more than iron and OD, its a piece of history that served our country, like their human counterparts, and I sense many people find an appreciation in that. Advice is worth what you pay for it, but ageregunner, I'd say drive that deuce with pride, and display it where the young and old can appreciate it!!!!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, some of the show car folks are not real receptive, particularly since we tend to let the sticky-fingered-nose-pickers climb into/onto the vehicles (it all comes off with a clorox wipe), and they don't even want them close to their cars. A few can be almost hostile.
But they all know we can drive right up on their hood, so.... :twisted:

Cheers

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20160623_170950.jpg20160609_160813.jpg
In MA, I've been to several shows and every other week is a huge show at Bass Pro next to Patriot Stadium, we get a lot of Old soldiers and a lot of people asking "were do you get one of these". The car shows offer a great opportunity to promote what we do and how we do it! Most military clubs do shows here and there, you can find a car show almost every day of the week! But then the other half starts getting upset!;-)

67Beast

I've done several over the years and they can be a blast as everyone wants to check out the military vehicles and ask questions and I let everyone crawl all over the trucks. It definitely upsets some of the car collectors as people tend to gloss over their stuff to get over to check out the MV trucks. But if you have seen one restored 68' Camero, you have see another 10 at the show just like it. Because the MV's are so different and rare at shows most people want to check out something new they have never seen up close. I tend to stand at the front of my trucks and talk to as many people as I can and answer question that they might have, and catch the glares of the car people sitting quietly behind their cars in the matching lawn chairs. I very rarely win any awards at the shows around here as I consider it being snubbed but chrome and polish judges. But I don't give a crap about their cheap trophies anyway, I have enough of that stuff collecting dust in the corners of the garage, I do them for the fun of hanging out and talking to people and veterans about the trucks. I have found over the years some shows I will not go back to because of the unwelcome feeling given to me by the organizers. I just check them off the list and move on to the next show as there is always a show happening somewhere close by.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife and I go to the shows mainly for the little kids. The smiles on their faces when they get to climb into the truck (front and back) is priceless. Plus, getting to tell their parents not to worry because it is an "Army Truck" not a Corvette or Jag just makes it better.

I have never won an award; but I've also never been told not to come back either. No damage, no missing stuff. Lots of people to talk to and a lot of happy little kids.

It's a very pleasant way to spend a Saturday morning.

steelandcanvas

Barry,
Gather up your Eastern Pennsylvania Steel Soldiers Brothers and go have yourself a good time. Car shows are a lot of fun, even if you just go for the camaraderie. My Wife and I attended a show two years ago and upon entry, they classified our MV in the truck division, not military. They said we would win hands down. Well after setting up we went for a walk and saw three slammed down show trucks with $10K paint jobs...I told the Wife we didn't have a chance. As they passed out the awards for third place, then second place and then first place, not surprisingly we didn't hear our names. They told the crowd to wait a minute as they had another award in the truck division to give...it was the America's Pride award and given to us! I think they felt sorry for us driving 70 miles and didn't have a proper class to put us in. We had purchased a couple cases of water, put it on ice and handed it out to thirsty participants under our club banner, for some club goodwill and exposure. All in all it was a fun day, met a lot of nice folks and enjoyed the sunshine.

dmetalmiki

Hello miki,

Is it just my eyes or are your winch truck bumpers mounted upside down?

Beautiful display either way!

Rick

Rick
It is your eyes..the deuces are down side up! and the 5 tons are upside down.. deuces rope over, 5tons winch rope under..work that one out. (hate the dreaded 'lol' but you get my drift)

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bishop Fall Colors Auto Show

I asked if I could be entered in this annual car show in my hometown. They said GREAT...enter in the special interest category. There was a custom four wheel drive raised corvette (took second place) and other vehicles in my category.

To not deter from the shiny DO NOT TOUCH glamour cars I asked if I could set up in a corner away from the rest. They said O.K.

The results are in the attached pictures. Had a great time and the kids and families loved the two vehicles I entered. (M43B1 and M35A2C)

Attachments

Last edited:

m715mike

I am a member on this site because of someone I met at a car show! I got to the show early that morning and set-up my Deuce on display near the entrance. Shortly afterwards, a CUCV arrived. The owner stopped and said, "I don't know who you are, but I like that old iron." We became friends that day, and he told me that I need to get on SteelSoldiers. I went home that evening and signed-up.

I've attended several car shows in the Deuce and look forward to many more!

SS load 3.jpgSS load 2.jpgSS load 1.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at a local car show with the V100 a couple of years ago. I didn't see it, but Pawnshop and Reloader64 saw a man walking up the opposite side of the street, spot the V, and just make a beeline for it (fortunately the street was blocked off!).

My interaction with the man started when he walked up to me and said "Wow! A duck! I haven't seen one since I was in Vietnam". (That was a common nickname for V's in Vietnam, I don't hear it often).

He said he was an Army logistics officer back then, and ran convoys out of Long Binh, and that "Ducks" protected his convoys.
I told him I had evidence that my V belonged to the 720th MP operating out of Long Binh at that time. He replied "That's who we worked with!".
He put his hand on the V and quietly said "So, this is probably one that protected me".
He stood there with his hand on the V, and went very far away, so I waited silently until he came back. We talked for a bit longer, he had his picture taken next to it, and off he went.

THAT is one of the main reasons I sometimes go to car shows.

Cheers

18operator

Entered a show last year with my Deuce. We had a really good time. It was funny, we got edged out of the running for first place in special interest by a kids pedal car! That's alright, didn't go there for any trophy anyways. It's the looks you get from the other car owners that I enjoy! Both good and bad.

Pugsley

I take mine to the car show in Valpo on Fridays when I get home with enough time to get there early. Otherwise there is no where to park.

People always come up to me and ask a ton of questions. I answer as much as I can. The old timers like to stop by and chat and tell stories about stuff they did back when they were in the military. I enjoy listening to them. A few people come up and give me a hard time about it but I just ignore them because they are not event staff. Kids love taking pictures next to the wheels and climbing around.

I have thought of of jokingly grinding and painting a few rust spots but I don't want to chance anybody complaining about over spray. :rolleyes:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done a few car shows as well and usually get a great response. I entered a car show in Temecula CA. a few years ago, I received a few stink-eyes when I drove thru so I intentionally stomped on the throttle to throw up some nice plumes of unsent diesel, you never saw so many dust brushes get pulled out at one time. LMAO.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks