• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missing rear window crank

HelluvaEngineer

I finally got my truck running and now I'm trying to fix the "small" stuff. I want to replace the missing rear window crank so that I can actually get in and out using the tailgate. Looking at the parts still remaining and then looking at the cranks for sale for the K5 on Ebay and such, I can't figure out how the parts mate up. I also checked out the diagram in TM9-2320-289-20P and I don't see that big "wing" looking thing on mine. Will a standard K5 crank mate up to this? Thanks.

IMG_20170805_114043.jpgEndgate window handle.PNG

Last edited:

cucvrus

That big wing looking thing is part of the window regulator not part of the window crank. The clutch assembly engages the wing looking thing and winds the window up or down. You will need to remove the rear cover panel on the inside of the gate and get the window seals out so that you can remove the back window. The window will need to be removed to access the 4 bolts that hold the window regulator in. That regulator must be removed to access the nuts on the studs that hold the handle in place. Very easy if you are patient. You will want to clean and replace guide runs in the sides of the gate and polish the ends of the sash on the bottom of the glass. Check out Terminus M1009 I have that covered pretty well on how to resurrect an old rusty inoperable M1009 gate. Good Luck. Parts are expensive for the handle. I seen OEM black ones on occasion. Try and avoid the Chinese junk on LMC. The spinner is so thin where the lock pawl engages in the driver I don't know how it even lasts thru 10 cycles. Good Luck.

HelluvaEngineer

Interesting, thanks gentlemen. I'm staring at my mill and my lathe and wondering if there's a better way to do this with a locking mechanism. Cucvrus, not related to this but I got one of those $20 fuel filter bases with manual pump from China. I didn't use it. I got an FM100 and put a pump on that, but the cheapo unit is not bad at all.

richingalveston

If your back seals are good and do not need replacing, you can do it without completely removing the window. All you need is a good rest for the glass. with the tailgate down, once you have the glass loose from the rollers on the bottom, you just pull it almost all the way out and set it on the rest ( I have a short table with a large foam pad). You have to work it from the inside of the truck because you wont be able to reach over the glass to work and you will need a helper (one under the tailgate and one in back of truck holding the nuts)

I have yet to get the back seals out and not damage them.

If you need new seals then this is the time to change them.

Rich

someone here can probably shed some light on how to get the seals out where they are reusable.

cucvrus

As a rule if you can't get them out without destroying them they were junk anyway. You need a blunt molding tool to get them out and a bit of patience. They are in there on a push lock clip. It can be compressed and removed with care. Remove the 2 outer seal cover at the top of the gate and go at it. I said to remove the window so you can do the job right. Part of the issue as I stated is the rusty/rough guides on the end of the bottom glass sash. That rust makes resistance in the side window tracks and is a lot of the reason the window cranks and regulators go out to begin with. Cleaning and replacing these parts makes everything work perfect. Or just put in the crank and maintain nothing and have at it. Good Luck. Do the job right the first time and you may never need to do it again.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I turned that wing with a screwdriver to roll the window up and down for a few months after I got mine. I picked up a new handle on LMC and painted it black. Some of the black has chipped off so I need to touch it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks