• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missouri MV titling under attack and review

saddamsnightmare

February 15th, 2012.

"Not Built to US Standards"....That's rich, considering they were built to standards set out in the purchase contract by the U.S.Army....!roflThe Federal code does say these vehicles are grandfathered from any later standards, all they have to meet is the contract standards in the original purchase contract...which they did. They also, in the case of the -A3's met the standards of the reinspection standards of the contract that got them converted from A-2 to A-3 standards....
As to the MVPA...That's a bunch of old fuddy duddies who love to drive in parades reliving their youths, or maybe days they NEVER had.... Not picking a fight, I just won't support them any way from Sunday after they dropped the ball repeatedly in Wisconsin... MAYBE Uncle needs to recall all MB, M38's and such as they don't meet the MVSSA of 1968... You wouldn't want grandpa to injure himself would you? :-(This is the very small tip of a very dangerous wedge.. if WE don't get our act's togather collectively, we, and our vehicles, are toast...:popcorn:

mcmullag

Mvpa

Someone above mentioned that the MVPA may be mostly concerned with parades and static displays of the vehicles. Well we will need to keep these things licensed, titled, etc. so that we may get to the parades and displays as we have to drive on roads to get them there. Most of us cannot afford to trailer around our 13,000 lb trucks. Just saying....so actually it appears that the MVPA should care about this stuff. :)

eddiec

I agree, the MVPA should stand up for us like the NRA does for their cause. I've got a 69 m35a2. Been keeping up with this post, but as of yet, no problems on my end. The not built to US standards should also be addressed, but i would wait for that , make sure you have no more problems with the title for a while. Please keep us posted of any changes, or problems.

ARYankee

As to the MVPA...That's a bunch of old fuddy duddies who love to drive in parades reliving their youths, or maybe days they NEVER had.... Not picking a fight, I just won't support them any way from Sunday after they dropped the ball repeatedly in Wisconsin... MAYBE Uncle needs to recall all MB, M38's and such as they don't meet the MVSSA of 1968... You wouldn't want grandpa to injure himself would you? :-(This is the very small tip of a very dangerous wedge.. if WE don't get our act's togather collectively, we, and our vehicles, are toast...:popcorn:
First I want to say thank you. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way about the MVPA. Also glad to see that I am not the only one to call them fuddy duddies :) Our state chapter is a bunch of fuddy duddies so I went all rogue and started my own club and now we are working with out state legislators on some MV friendly laws so we can correct present issues with our laws and to prevent any issues in the future. I totally agree that WE all need to stand together.

kaziboku

February 15th, 2012.

"Not Built to US Standards"....That's rich, considering they were built to standards set out in the purchase contract by the U.S.Army....!roflThe Federal code does say these vehicles are grandfathered from any later standards, all they have to meet is the contract standards in the original purchase contract...which they did. They also, in the case of the -A3's met the standards of the reinspection standards of the contract that got them converted from A-2 to A-3 standards....
From a Wisconsin reader of this interesting thread:
Does anyone have a copy of the contract employed for the manufacture of any of these vehicles?
I could really use one circa 1970. Certainly milstd 1180 requires vehicles to be built according to FMVSS standards but I would like to see the Gov. Spec, or contract that delineated the standards pre 1180. The actual contract would be a wonderful find - have tried many sources, including a FOIA request by my representative with no success.
example Contract number - DAAE078CJ047

Thanks

Amer-team

If not built to US standards on the title is all you have to worry about go for it and don't look back. Enjoy the truck.
When I purchased my 5T on sealed bid auction from a municipality, had to have it inspected by the ST. Patrol vehicle inspector, you must have an appointment. They have an automated system for making the appt. I could not get through on it, so drove the truck over to the inspection station. There was no one there but the inspector, no vehicles to inspect. I asked to get inspected, he told me I had to have an appt. so he couldn't do it till I had one. told him that I could not get through on their system, "yeah they were having problems with that, tough luck." I asked to speak to his supervisor, he took my number and they did call me back. They offered to do it in a couple days, I work out of town, so it would be about a month before I could get back at their only posted times. Month later, got my appt. and got over for inspection. Inspector was most worried that it was an M151. Showed him the Vins and TM, stating what the truck was. He wrote me a Registration only - Title in question, even though I had a notarized Bill of sale from the city, that had owned it for 10 years.
The DMV lady told me she was surprised as he could have easily passed it so I could have gotten title. Yes I was very nice to the inspector. Just have to wait 3 years and can get a real title.

One friend used to say that they were probably homeless before they got that job.

RealCavDog

Not out of the woods yet, before I go get my form 551, get reinspected, send back all my paperwork, and accept a new remarked/revised/notated title, I need to make sure of any potential repercussions due to the new designatation . . . resale, insurance, risk liability, restrictions, etc., ahead of any further surprises !

Mongo

Perhaps off-topic... but maybe not:

When does an M35 or an M818 cease to be a military vehicle and become a "hot-rod" or "home built" vehicle? This could become a VERY handy distinction to make when having troubles titling our vehicles.

a1abdj

Not out of the woods yet, before I go get my form 551, get reinspected, send back all my paperwork, and accept a new remarked/revised/notated title, I need to make sure of any potential repercussions due to the new designatation . . . resale, insurance, risk liability, restrictions, etc., ahead of any further surprises
They exempted me from the reinspection because of the hassle on my first truck, although my second truck will need to be inspected. I don't think my insurance company will have any issues with it, because the make and model was already in their computer system. They already know what it is, and insure them nationwide (State Farm).

I went up the other day to pick up my plates. No problems at all, aside from a quick ass chewing to the guy in charge at the HP's inspector station hotline.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks