• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT: Mobile Kitchen Trailer - Checklist and Guide

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like a good time to start this. Im wanting to make a reference guide for each MKT-XX model to show the differences in each model year, like type of burners, fan element, etc. Also, a general inventory of usual items and appliances has been attached for download. For those with MKT's, please help by including appliance capabilities, ie: range size, max temp on burners, etc.. that one might need to consider before cooking. I've searched and found nothing on this topic, so hope this will be a guide to future members. Feel free to post relevant info.

"The MKT is a complete kitchen unit mounted on a trailer chassis that can be towed by a standard 2 1/2-ton or 5-ton truck. Two or three are typically used together to feed a battalion-sized organization."

Years:----------NSN
MKT-75..........7360-00-138-7782
MKT-75A........7360-01-092-0470
MKT-82..........7360-01-155-6020
MKT-85..........7360-01-214-1176
MKT-85S........7360-01-246-4646 (Air-force Only)
MKT-90..........7360-01-313-2238
MKT-95..........7360-01-417-4635
MKT-99..........7360-01-483-8617

General Inventory (Unknown Model/Year): See Attached files, too messy to post here.
Saved in PDF, soon to be excel after technical difficulties.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ice storage container was metal in the earlier MKT's, green or brown ones are after 1999 refurb program. Gas lanterns only on the older ones, those that were refurbished have two 2 ft fluorescent lights instead. Side walls, roof canopies and screens are either green or tan, not both. CAMBRO food containers replaced the Mermites in the 90's. M-2 burners replaced in the 1990's by the MBU's (MBU-100 in turn upgraded to the MBU-103 with a wider heat range). Except for boiling a large quantity of water in a hurry, I have not found much use for the higher heat settings on the MBU's - most of my cooking is done with the lower third of the range. About 1999 was the start of the program to add the winter skirts, the blower and foot level vent, the four inch lipped griddle and the fluorescent lights (MKT-I{mproved}). it's late and I should have been in bed an hour ago. Others should be able to add to this as well (and correct some of my rambling).

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that I've had a little sleep, here's some more. Carry covers on the MKT-85 were nylon, which had been swapped out for vinyl in the later 90's. Original roof canopies and sidewalls were real canvas, which had a tendency to rot if put away wet, now it's all vinyl. Actual screen material looks to be the same, but the 'cloth' parts around the edges went from canvas to vinyl. The AF only model was the first to have the desert tan color, but that has spread to the Army when they are sent to the 'sandbox'. They are being replaced by the CK (Containerized Kitchen) for battalion sized feeding, which is why they are being surplussed.
Insulated food containers have three Polarware 1/3 GN 6 inch deep pans, with fitted gasket for carrying liquid foods (think soup and stew) into the field. Lot's of material available on the web. More pics of my unit can be seen on Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing using the search term "MKT-85". Since, I'm not going to write a book on this subject, I'll let others chime in and correct any errors I made and offer additional insights!

3dAngus

I was doing a search and found this old thread on MKTs, or mobile kitchens.

I thought I would add this tech manual for anyone interested. I will provide the link so you can download it if you wish. I don't want to lift this heavy 350 page manual here on SS as it might take up a bit much disk space. It really belongs in the tech manaul section. Not sure if it is up again or not, so here's the link to the manual. Makes for some interesting reading.

http://www.dfacmanager.com/old/MOTOR%20POOL%20SOP/TM%2010-7360-206-13.pdf

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3d,

The -206-13 and the -206-23P are both on the MKT Thumb Drive that I've put together. The -13 is in the TM section here on SS (if it ever is available again).

3dAngus

I have a follow up question on the MKT, and maybe someone here can help me.

There is a battery pack associated with the MKT and kitchen stuff and I believe it is labeled the BP-100 battery pack. Is this a 24vdc battery pack? It is rechargeable and my guess is it runs some kind of kitchen equipment.

Also, and I don't mean to be rude here, but please don't post upcoming MKT auctions on SS. I know there is a lot of interest in these and I have been guilty of it too. Slipsy kind of thing. Oops.

Wait! One more question. Is the equipment in the MKTs very suitable for an outdoor kitchen? I mean the kind of thing you would build into a new brick patio? I know there is some stainless there, but is it visually appealing for a modern outdoor kitchen, or no? I passed through one first time last Oct. at the Ga. Rally but I went through so fast with people behind me I was just in a daze and missed the opportunity to "look around" My bad! Answers are appreciated, as always.

Oh, one final question. Now, that I've been around for a while and recognize a few names here, can someone please tell me who the nice people were running the MKT at the Ga. Rally. I would like to say thanks for a job well done. It was super!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, and I don't mean to be rude here, but please don't post upcoming MKT auctions on SS. I know there is a lot of interest in these and I have been guilty of it too. Slipsy kind of thing. Oops.

!
There are rules about posting information on upcoming auctions , if you see rule being broken click on the icon in the lower lefthand corner of the post and report it . The mods can then deal with it in the proper manner .

3dAngus

I rarely report and will only do so if it is extremely offensive or out of line. Probably happened two times in a lifetime. The Mods do a good job. They don't need my help for a trivial matter like this. Thanks anyway.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a battery pack associated with the MKT and kitchen stuff and I believe it is labeled the BP-100 battery pack. Is this a 24vdc battery pack? It is rechargeable and my guess is it runs some kind of kitchen equipment.
Yes it is 24v. It is designed to run in conjunction with a slave port connector on the deuce in a field environment. The slave connects to the battery pack to charge and then the MBUs run off the battery pack. Where there is "shore power" available the MBUs run through a 115/24v convertor.

Wait! One more question. Is the equipment in the MKTs very suitable for an outdoor kitchen? I mean the kind of thing you would build into a new brick patio? I know there is some stainless there, but is it visually appealing for a modern outdoor kitchen, or no?
Not really. Yes there is some stainless but mostly aluminum and the type of cooking one normally does in a backyard environment would be better suited on a grill than what's used on the MKT.

Oh, one final question. Now, that I've been around for a while and recognize a few names here, can someone please tell me who the nice people were running the MKT at the Ga. Rally. I would like to say thanks for a job well done. It was super!
Not sure but SCSG-G4 was probably there and he's the MKT Guru around here.

3dAngus

OK. I was the guy who said he never heard of Chili Mac. Don't recall ever having it but that doesn't mean it isn't so. It was good, as were all of the fixin's. I was impressed with that MKT at the time. Never seen anything like it. Wish I had more time to look it over. Next time, I'm going to take a tour. Thanks.

djlittle1960

Just joined the group today and noticed SCSG-G4! Hey Mike! :D
I just bought one of Mike's MKTs and have it here at the house.
Once all of the rain goes away, I will be setting it up. My wife wants to use it for her 'canning' kitchen.

3dAngus

What a fantastic idea!
There was a local school that had all the canning equipment in a nearby county. They would host people from all over Middle Ga and allow them to use the facilities for a minimal fee on an appointment basis. It was so much better then heating up the home kitchen in the middle of the summer for hours on end, and the huge vats and boilers made it go 10Xs faster, thus, the small fee made it all worthwhile. If she does it with a little success, she might have a little business going there. The people that are looking for canneries to cook their corn and jams and pickles in are more then what most would think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks