• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT: Mobile Kitchen Trailer - Checklist and Guide

FSRD

Those of you that have eaten food made in one of these kitchens using the diesel burners does the food taste bad at all or have any hint of a diesel fume taste? I own one of these kitchens but I don't have the burners for it and if the food is going to have any hint of a taste of diesel then I would rather change it over and put in different burners to make it so it can run on propane.

rustystud

Those of you that have eaten food made in one of these kitchens using the diesel burners does the food taste bad at all or have any hint of a diesel fume taste? I own one of these kitchens but I don't have the burners for it and if the food is going to have any hint of a taste of diesel then I would rather change it over and put in different burners to make it so it can run on propane.
Haven eaten many a meal from one of these units I can honestly say there was never a "taste" of diesel in any of the food. The way the heaters work there really is no way it can enter the food from what I've seen. I just wish I could afford one out here !

FSRD

Thank you! Where are you located? I travel the country picking stuff up from different military bases and it's possible that I can bring one to you on one of my trips. I had actually just bought one and gave it to someone for free but I do have 2 more that I'm selling.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no diesel fumes to ever get into the food. The way the MBU's work, there is no un-burnt fuel to give an odor (unless it is malfunctioning). I've been cooking on MKT's since 2008. If you get an MKT, you need to get all the info I've collected on how to use one from setup to tear down. PM me for details (about 3.4 GB of PDF's).

morewood

I recently acquired a 99 without any mbu's or electrical components. Is it worth going back with mbu's or having propane burners put in. I'll pm you in the morning.....still have a couple of items we're scratching our heads over.

Shea

FSRD

I recently acquired a 99 without any mbu's or electrical components. Is it worth going back with mbu's or having propane burners put in. I'll pm you in the morning.....still have a couple of items we're scratching our heads over.

Shea
I have a kitchen trailer that has all six mbu's that work. It is for sale. I also have 24 also a power supply for it and made my own connectors that will connect to each burner run in series.

ChuckwagonBbq

This is my mkt99 project that ive been working on its pretty well stripped but i think you boys my like the merit of where im headed for a BBQ RIG

We had a 36in tongue extention added and then we mounted my massive smoker on a inverted trolly system it pulls like a dream behind a regular f250received_495593464512507.jpeg20191020_210158.jpg

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used my MKT99 at Bikes Blues and BBQ cooking breakfast, lunch, and dinner for five days at the local air/military museum and only had a problem with diesel fumes when the MBU would sputter or go out! Then the kitchen would fill up with white smoke, but even then it never affected the food taste!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone used the 2kW generator that comes with the MKT to run it? I had to replace my converter to run mine, I thought five days on a gen set would have been too much for me to manage and cook!

Attachments

searvo

I'm floating the idea of making a food truck out of one of these. Has anyone on here actually done this? I'm wondering if it would be possible to outfit it to pass state regulations in Nevada.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm floating the idea of making a food truck out of one of these. Has anyone on here actually done this? I'm wondering if it would be possible to outfit it to pass state regulations in Nevada.
State regulations generally follow the national regulations with minor wording differences. The National Restaurant Association sponsors the ServeSafe courses for both managers and employees. All states require a ServeSafe Manager be on duty whenever food is prepared or served to the public. If you take the course you will be able to determine whether it will pass or not.

searvo

State regulations generally follow the national regulations with minor wording differences. The National Restaurant Association sponsors the ServeSafe courses for both managers and employees. All states require a ServeSafe Manager be on duty whenever food is prepared or served to the public. If you take the course you will be able to determine whether it will pass or not.
Thanks, that's really good info. Neither myself nor my friend has any experience with these things, I think that's as good a place to start as any.

f3TChorg

There are no diesel fumes to ever get into the food. The way the MBU's work, there is no un-burnt fuel to give an odor (unless it is malfunctioning). I've been cooking on MKT's since 2008. If you get an MKT, you need to get all the info I've collected on how to use one from setup to tear down. PM me for details (about 3.4 GB of PDF's).
Please send me any maintenance info you have on the MBU's 4 of my 6 need services. Also need Roof Canopy Rain canvases and Bug Sides if you know of a connection. dwight_stitt@f3TCh.org

Jigsaw27

Awesome info, just bought an mkt and though licensing is an expensive investment, it’s so worth it, planning on showing pictures of my set up soon! :)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto. I’d like to find out who repairs/refurbs MBU’s. I’ve got about 6 or 7 MBU’s that aren’t working.
Do you have a copy of TM 10-7310-281-13&P? It covers operation and maintenance levels 1, 2, and 3, plus parts. 90 percent of the problems can be fixed using that manual, some mechanical ability, and the spare parts.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome info, just bought an mkt and though licensing is an expensive investment, it’s so worth it, planning on showing pictures of my set up soon! :)
Your state agricultural office usually holds classes to get a ServSafe manager's certification and the cost is usually between $115 and $150 for a one day class and the test. Selling food to the public does require a business license which is why I've always cooked for 'closed groups' that I am a member of, used volunteer labor, and only charged what the food costs me, plus fuel expenses for the burners. Even with the current inflation, I can cook a pancake breakfast for about $1.50 or less - three seven inch pancakes, syrup, margarine, plates, flatware, napkins, cup and a drink.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks