• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MO OK AR KS TX rally

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's not be too hasty, maybe we can have a rally anyway, elsewhere, is hardcore offroading a definite requirement ?

BigJay

Doesn't matter to me.. But honestly the venue doesn't matter to me either. I just want to get out and wheel, and see some MVs wheel. I only wish I could have had a deuce of my own by now.

-Jay

davesgmc

the main problem is getting the time off. For me, I run a shop and have to know way in advance whe I want to take time off so I can arrange to close down the place. I had planned on closing down that friday and sat to come down to the event, but I certainly dont wanna show up driving a feret around with a bunch of kids.

jasonjc

I don't blame you at all. Thats why I'd like to come up with another plan. Place or time or_ _ _ _ _ _??????
Would you need weeks or moth??? I'd like to talk to the oner of the place and get a better idea of what is going on.
2 weeks after we had planed they have nothing on the calender , I thought about getting the hole place for our selfs????? But I need to know what evey one else thinks. Its for all of us not just me and I want what will be best for all of us.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can do this month or next, as vacation builds up with time. If or once we reach a consensus, yeah let's try to get the place - or at least an agreement for no mass events that weekend and maybe rights to the RV/electricity area. If we can get on their internal calendar, maybe they won't schedule something on top of our plans.

Hey come on, anyone else have input? Even a simple camping thing would be do-able long as there's a big field to drive in.. deuce drag races!

gbooth

My issue is getting into the fall season our Vehicle club has a lot of events, Parades and other stuff going through November. I am in agreement that I don't want to be in a park full of kids on ATV's. Maybe we should try and plan on a event next spring say in April? Don't know just a thought. Also I cant reschedule time off at short notice.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK for me. I have already scheduled vacation time and can't change now anyway. Due to work requirements I had to schedule it. Sometimes choices have to be made. I'm off SEPT 29 though OCT 14. road trip..

jasonjc

I'll do what ever every one else whats to do. They have an open weekend the end of next moth. Or if we have 25 vehicles(@ $25 per) we can get a privte week end. Or we can try to find some place else or or

jasonjc

With the ATV thing going on , I think most don't what to go. I've been trying to talk to the owner but every time I call he is out of town and they say they will have him call back. But that aint happen yet. Do we want to try to reserve the place for our selves only??? This year yet or first of next??? Any other ideas????

Or do any of you still want too go??? I'll give it a shot. So speak up or hold your peace.

They have another open park weekend next mouth

gbooth

Well I did not make it I hope those that did had a great time. Do we want to start throwing out some dates for next year? I would still like to do this.

dorsai

Oklahoma D-Day 2008, June 9-15th is yet another opportunity for you to showcase
your classic military vehicles at this park. I know, it's also during the summer, but that
didn't stopped some 12-15,000 people from as far away as Canada England and even
Iraq making the trek last year.

Oklahoma D-Day is just that, a re-enactment event, in which participants swap blank
firing weapons out for paintball guns. With much of the close to 800 acres in play, it's
not your typical paintball event, not with over 4,000 players and some 40 vehicles
involved.

Key objectives which need to be taken if the allies are to win include; Ste. mere
Eglise, Caen, Sword, Utah and Omaha beaches, Pegasus bridge, Colleville,
Breacourt Manor, Cherbourg and St Laurent.

Already have a nearly fully restored HT taking part, not only in the parade which
takes place that friday, along with one or two classic tractors which the owner has.
Here's a couple shots of it for your review and comment -

Here's a topo overlay map which also shows the road/trail system, as well as a few low level
photos of some of the many areas used during this week long event.

If you'd perfer to see the area from the air, jsut click the following link. It'll give you a two
minute overflight of the entire area, including the 100+ acre camping grounds which are
filled a couple days ahead of the main event.

Chopper flight -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7iTB_1Y0lk

Finally I'd like to close this post by sharing with you a
video presentaiton we created to help give those who
have never taken part in the event a better sense of
what this event is all about. If you'd like more details,
either contact the site itself, or drop me a note.

D-Day (from the Allied perspective)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuyO8iE5vgI

Sincerely,

Andrew Van Der Plaats

dorsai

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's the question of how the re-enactors feel about post-WWII vehicles in their events. Whle I usually park my radio truck and throw up some antennas (and use an ATV to get around the AO), most others would like to go on the trails with their vehicles. It would be fun to attend the event, but a shame to have to keave trailworthy vehicles parked for show only. This should invite many comments.

dorsai

Oklahoma D-Day

Just a quick update on the Oklahoma field. They've
just about completed preperations to install a dual
lane bridge across one of their ravines. It'll serve
as 'Pegasus Bridge' during their June 14th D-Day
event. Also understnd Dewayne, the owner, has
plans to use his big Cat to widen most of the roads,
as well as cut some new ones. Finally, they've also
added another 30 acres to this site.

So far I've heard from just one vehicle owner, who
might be interested in coming out and taking part.
I can understand everyone's concerns about heat,
but where are you going to find 12-15,000 people
to come and appreciate all your hard work? If it's
a matter of newer, versus vintage, he runs a fleet
of multi-fuel duces and some older school buses to
move the 4,000 particpants between the staging
areas and their drop off points. Finally, we'll also
have a restored white half track there, running in
the event, plus as many as 40 other simulated
armor vehicles as well.

If anyone else has any questions on this, please drop
me a line or give my office a call anythime between
0600-1930.

Sincerely,

Andrew Van Der Plaats
Director Tactical Information and Strategic Services
Office of the CofS, SHAEF

"Details Hold The Key To Success"
Office: 407.563.3884
Email: ADorsai@aol.com

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks