• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mod of the day - bed crane

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I had a hand crank version of this but was considering switching to electric. The one I have is a cheap harbor frieght one.

I broke the cable already once. Yep I need a new one. Might as well get an electric winch and better cable for what I got.

You convinced me.

Darwin T

one of the guys on here came up with a great idea for winches. his was on the front of the bed to load 4 wheelers but the idea is sound. he removed the handle and put a hex bolt and used his air impact to turn the winch. if you are changing a tire you most likely have it out anyway. i think his was a boat trailer type. i don't remember who but i filed the concept away for future use. :drool:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one of the guys on here came up with a great idea for winches. his was on the front of the bed to load 4 wheelers but the idea is sound. he removed the handle and put a hex bolt and used his air impact to turn the winch. if you are changing a tire you most likely have it out anyway. i think his was a boat trailer type. i don't remember who but i filed the concept away for future use. :drool:
The only thing I'd be worried about with this setup is impacts are awfully hard on things like this when used often. The hammering is what gets them. It reminds me of back in high school shop class. We had just rebuilt a small Briggs engine. We were having trouble getting it to hit and were getting tired of pulling on the rope. There was a nut on the driveshaft so I had the bright idea to put a impact on the nut to turn the engine over to start it. It turned it over a few turns and then broke the crankshaft half in to. The shop teacher was not amused.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was me and the idea FAILED. The winch was too SLOW. It would have taken a month to get the ATV in the bed.

I tossed it and installed a cheap HF 3000 lb 12 volt winch in the same spot. Works great now.

Darwin T

sorry to hear that!! just remembered the concept and it sounded good. i guess i am glad this post was going or one day i could would have tried it.

Towerguy1

Crane

I modified a cheap truck bed crane by adding a hand winch and a 2nd telescopeing section for reach. It will lift 1500lbs, 750lbs, and 250lbs with respect to how many sections are out. I also set it out a bit so the troop seat is unaffected. I was worried that it might be in the way but is hasn't ever been a problem.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks