• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mod of the day - bed crane

Kohburn

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I need to do something like that for my 500lb tire/rim combo. Good luck loading a flat tire in the bed on my own.

Kohburn

I haven't tested the winches single line capacity yet. but so far it handles what I need it to. I've got a pulley block for it to make it easier on the winch.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to do something like that for my 500lb tire/rim combo. Good luck loading a flat tire in the bed on my own.
Gimpy, I've got one that I may be willing to do some trading on if you're ever down my way :wink:. It was mounted in the back of my M715 when I got it but it wasn't fastened very well to the bed. I took it out and it's just been sitting in the barn ever since.

Kohburn

Kohburn, one of these days can you please take a couple of pics of the base? I'm wondering how its mounted.
3" angle iron 12" long

two pieces of that overlapped and welded. the pipe is bolted to one of them using 4" long 1/2" bolts

there is one 1/2" bolt holding the top of the angle iron to the side of the bed, and two 1/2" bolts through the bottom angle iron as close to the edge as possible so that they are bolted through the main support under the bed.

unfortunately the crane is in the way of the troop seats folding down. but i made it so that all i have to do is unbolt the two 4" long bolts and the pipe upright comes off. so it's only a 2 minute job to remove the crane.

I'll get some pics later.

M215

I Have been considering the same set up on the drop side 5 ton. May opt to install the hoist at the front of the bed next to the spare tire. On the 5 ton DS the foward two feet of the bed sides are fixed. So no problem with troop seat clearance, but the cargo cover would have to be removed to use the hoist.
Thanks for the motivational pics

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
unfortunately the crane is in the way of the troop seats folding down. but i made it so that all i have to do is unbolt the two 4" long bolts and the pipe upright comes off. so it's only a 2 minute job to remove the crane.
You could section your left troop seat and add an additional support such as in the attached photo

MO MV man

I've been thinking about this mod for months.
I love the way yours came out, Kohburn!

But the crane I've been thinking about is this one.......since it already has the vertical/upright portion and a winch (albeit manual):
1/2 Ton Capacity Pickup Truck Crane with Cable Winch

I think this thread might make me finally get my rear end in gear and install one.....it would make getting stuff in that bed worlds easier on my bobber!

Kohburn

I've been thinking about this mod for months.
I love the way yours came out, Kohburn!

But the crane I've been thinking about is this one.......since it already has the vertical/upright portion and a winch (albeit manual):
1/2 Ton Capacity Pickup Truck Crane with Cable Winch

I think this thread might make me finally get my rear end in gear and install one.....it would make getting stuff in that bed worlds easier on my bobber!
I would have used that one if i didn't already have the short one to work with.

would be easy enough to mount and motorized winch for lifting. just have to add a little reinforcement under the bed and bolt it on.

92RT-TT

Thats a good idea to add a little crane. I'd section the troop seats too so you dont have to remove the crane all the time

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an awesome mod. I'll have to make that a reality sometime next year....

Sure beats that hand-crank one that clinto had a few years back.

Attachments

SSWaters

I built one for mine awhile back, seeing yours I should have incorporated a folding feature like that. I buy and sell Rockwell axles and it'll pick up a 5 ton frt but the 2.5 tons are easier on it. Just have to have the truck level when using cranes like yours and mine to be able to swing it in/out. It's a handcrank with brake, no wires and switches to worry about for simple stuff.

Attachments

Last edited:

srodocker

cant wait to buy my sooner or later. going with the manual one just for simplicity. would be sweet to have something to ride the quad onto and have it be able to roll off into the bed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks