• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Model numbers and various options.

thoner7

Is there a comprehensive list of features that goes with each Humvee model number? M998 v. 1165 A1, A2 etc?

As I'm search gov planet there's a lot more variables than I ever knew. Certain options I likely don't need but others would be nice to have. Some I may avoid due to increase maintenance costs etc.

Is there a good list? If not let's start one.

thoner7

I lifted this from a YouTube post, no idea if it's accurate:

Newer generations come with hundreds of improved and upgraded parts like 12k half shafts, differential coolers, stronger idler and pitman arms, ext. which may need to be replaced or will wear out quicker right out of auction if its an older model (early 2000's and before, or high mileage on gen 3 and below). Most people think all HMMWV's are the same which is not the case.

Gen 1: M998/M1097/M1045 ext. (1984-1993) 6.2L, 3 speed, most common components will need replacing (idler, pitman arm, ball joints, tires, bearings, ext.) They've likely sat for decades neglected in the elements. Can get them privately owned from $12k+

Gen 2: A1 series (M1097A1,ext)(1992-1993) Not many produced. Some improvements from Gen 1. Gen 3: A2 series M1045A2, M1123 ext. (1998-2005) MOST COMMON ON GOV PLANET (M1123)

Gen 3 is the absolute bare minimum you should by unless they are giving it away. The 6.5L and 4L80E Transmission are critical and will cost you more to install aftermarket than included in the purchase price difference between an A0,A1 and the A2. The 4L80E is a must have and the cost of parts and install is around $7,000 alone. The 6.2 to 6.5 engine is basically no difference. 6.2 reliability is reported to be better, actually. Basically the same engine with minimal torque and HP increase.

Gen 4: ECV Series M1167, M1165, M1151, M1152. (This is preferred) (2006 - 2011). Easily identified by the extended nose, 80mph spedo, factory A/C, tachometer, Wilwood brakes ext. First to feature the game changing 6.5L Turbo engine. This is worth some $$ (around $5,000 - $8,000 for parts and install. and it TAKES OFF. Massive upgrade and makes on-road drivability much more feasible and enjoyable.), factory AC (another $2500 - $3000), many upgraded drive train components, 12k half shafts, much better cooling, LED dash lights, improved everything basically. The M1165's commonly come with hard tops (with built in turret support and delete cover, making adding a turret a drop in, no need for the rare 10xx b-pillar turret support) and the iconic hard curtain. Add X-doors (if not included) and you're set. If you want a hard top, want to keep it cool inside, get less wet (yes, you will always get some water), or want a turret, this is the way to go: $7,000 4L80E $3,000 AC $2,500 Hard Top $1,000 Rear Curtain That's an extra $13,500 right there. And it wont be the correct roof or back for an ECV. Impossible to get your money back out of it. Decide what you want before you buy. Cheaper to buy with correct add-on's at auction.

Gen 5: REV Series M1167A1, M1165A1, M1151A1, M1152A1 (2007+ REV-B Serial Numbers 300,xxx+) Best HMMWV AM General has to offer. Reliability Enhanced Vehicle Everything the ECV series has and a massive upgrade to cooling (now drive train geared fan drive, not hydraulic), cooled differentials, upgrade to drive train and wear components, 24 bolt rims factory stock, parking brake enhancements, air lift brackets, ext.

Action

ECV does not mean Wilwood brakes. REV started late 2007 or early 2008. So the standard ECV was not made til 2011. REV does not have cooled diffS. Just the rear. ECV is also only the rear. I believe the 2006 - 2007 had 60 mph speedo, not 80. The ECV and turbo actually started around 2004, not 2006. With the m1113 and m1114. Newer models take off faster having 3.08 diffs.

Last edited:

thoner7

Well for example, I've seen the models with AC, and that special dash piece. But what models if any come with heat?

I don't really need AC but heat is a must.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
every model comes with heat.

The early ones the heat output sucks, but it's there.

The only ones that came factory with aircon are the ECV/REV (most of them do, some ECV do not I believe). Built into the fenders and the dash.

many of the M1123s had aircon added (RED DOT units with the huge external condenser and huge internal evaporator)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A0/A1 top speed in the book is 55mph.

A2 top speed in the book is 78mph.

ECV/REV top speed in the book is 70mph.

Tires are all rated for 87mph (except the bias ply might be lower, but running those is kind of dumb as they haven't been used by the military in decades)

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
To answer your opening question, yes, there is a book that tells you most of this. It's called a TM 9 2320-280-10 techincal manual. Interesting reading, more people should try it!
Very interesting reading. Even has center folds, CAMO

Guyfang

Staff member
To answer your opening question, yes, there is a book that tells you most of this. It's called a TM 9 2320-280-10 techincal manual. Interesting reading, more people should try it!
Thank you!!!! Sad to say, but often that book, like all -10 TM's, never really gets looked at.

Ranchtruck

Would anyone have info on date of manufacture for a M1152A1 based off the S/N or Mfr S/N? I purchased one recently from govplanet and they sent me a form to fill out with the year manufactured since that was missing from the description when it was auctioned off. The S/N is 628934 and Mfr S/N is 255807. Can't seem to find any info online. Any info would be much appreciated!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would anyone have info on date of manufacture for a M1152A1 based off the S/N or Mfr S/N? I purchased one recently from govplanet and they sent me a form to fill out with the year manufactured since that was missing from the description when it was auctioned off. The S/N is 628934 and Mfr S/N is 255807. Can't seem to find any info online. Any info would be much appreciated!
Which of these two serial numbers is stamped on the data plate?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The USMC number is not used for titling. The mfg s/n is what is used. Use search term “serial” in the HMMWV forum for a list of year to S/N ranges.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What NDT said, whoever inspects it will use the serial number so 255807

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What NDT said, whoever inspects it will use the serial number so 255807
ok…soooo
The USMC as you can see from the stencils on all USMC trucks tracks via the Registration number, the Army also uses a registration number but its numbering scheme is quite different. I spoke with GP about a truck I bought listed with the Registration number, She told me for them? It made no difference because the USMC used them to track the truck and it’s a valid number…if you Are choosing a model year? Well….your insurance and registration costs are based on age of a vehicle, so why make it a newer model year, also…many states have smog requirement that a late model year would incur

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks