• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More efficient Deuce..?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: seats...?

yes, i have hemmt seats, very comfy. cab insulation from artic kit, quieter and i have patterns to cut more. multifuel 20k btu heater gives almost instant heat. electric wipers i have seen but i don't have them, yet, a/c is not that far a stretch either... oh, i guess you should throw in a muffler also. and of course you will need a set of my od gears if/when i get them made

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've been after HEMTT seats for a while. Need to drift up to Winslows one day and fetch some.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

i make the cab insulation out of the pads that are meant to go under mil air mattresses. i'll take some more pics tomorrow since the interior is almost done.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: seats...?

m-35tom said:
i make the cab insulation out of the pads that are meant to go under mil air mattresses. i'll take some more pics tomorrow since the interior is almost done.
That was my plan too. hang on to the patterns, I need to copy them.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: seats...?

tamangel said:
Anyone ever install different seats for better drive comfort on long hauls? Cab insulation..? Stock heater/defroster vs commercial offerings? Wipers..? other in cab stuff...?
If you spend some time leafing through the many threads dedicated to MVs, I think you will find just about every one of those matters touched on. Some touched on, some touched on to the point of being thoroughly groped, (Not to paint the wrong kind of picture, just a figure of speech. This is a family site.)
I know for a fact the wipers are addressed in depth. Page through. Sometimes just taking random picks at the threads can lead to an entire afternoon of some quality education on these vehicles. I spent a few hours studying about the spin-on oil filters for the deuce. Another several hours on the lock-out hubs! Every now and then, I pop in the mess tent and bug mangus580 or someone about some mind-bending issue I develop reading posts. I'm convinced that any machine can be re-configured to your desires, as long as you have the time, tools, and patience. But, I think you have to decide what you want to have when it's all done. It's like any vehicle hobby. Some folks have to have it factory down to the belts. Others are willing to have some modern convenience and technology added to their machines. Pure-bred dog, or mix? Some people won't own a mutt, (That's mutt, not MUTT)! I like my deuce pretty much military original, but I have decided to install a few "non-military" changes. They're for the most part, hardly noticeable to the on-looker. And hardly anything that the military should not have done at some point themselves. I'm talking about different tires, a lock-out hub, and maybe spin-on oil filters. As I continue to browse these forums, I'll keep learning and probably make some additional changes and up-grades. Getting together in person with members is VERY helpful! Good luck!

cbvet

RE: Re: seats...?

OIFVET
You say you can do about anything with time, tools, & patience. You forgot to mention money!
That's often first on my list.
I love my trucks, & would likely make some changes if I could, but have other priorities.
Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy reading about many of the things some guys do, but I have to look for low cost alternatives, or have the "patience" to wait for a better deal.
I like to leave my trucks looking pretty-much original, so I especially appreciate the little "tips" that guys post, to make inexpensive improvements.
Eric

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yep, I'd say $$ is definitely #1! I've been working a little overtime and realigning some possessions lately, and have been able to afford a few things. Must've caused me to overlook the obvious. I think I was recalling something my dad used to always tell me whenever we were working on some, seemingly impossible undertaking. He said, "Tools are 90% of the job, patience is the other 10%." Granted, there has to be a certain level of know-how, but I think he was assuming that he (we) wouldn't have been even trying to attempt the task if we didn't have some understanding of what the heck we were doing. At least in the mechanical/electrical aspect. I only have one MV, and one non-MV toy, (right now). I look at the list of vehicles many SSs have, and can't imagine. But, you are right, cbvet. No money, no fixxie.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Don't worry Bill, the sickness with infest you more eventually. Form the looks of your avitar, you have plenty on room for more green iron.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

O.K.! O.K.!! I ADMIT IT!! If I don't buy Mike's Jeep, I'm eyeing a CUCV or maybe even a 5-Ton!! There! It's out! I'm sick. I'm sick!! :jumpin:
(please tell me I'm among friends?) :oops:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hi-jack the thread.....

The Hemmt seats do look great.

But a note for the taller crowd.
I tried the same thing.
As a suggestion on how to incease the amount of leg room in the cab.
They give a better ride, but they actually decrease the amount of legroom due to the seat's angle.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i took measurements from the original spring seat and arrived at the dimentions i used. i did not notice any problems and i am 6'3" and 260#. note that i used a 800 series dash so the wheel is lower by about 3", but is also a smaller wheel since it has power steering.

spicergear

RE: Rear Hubs

Ouverson Engineering will sell you a single double splined axle shaft and one lock-out hub. The lockout is identical to the ones he sells for the front axle. When you don't need that rear axle's help (on-road) just unlock the hub and that axle will 'free-wheel' and you'll eliminate several different unsavory aspects of having both rear axles driving together.

Someone mentioned different rear gear sets. In the double reduction design I think it would take some doing. I would lean toward the final drive and driven bull gear for that type of speculation with a slightly larger drive and slightly smaller driven gear. M35 Tom's overdrive gears will prolly be the best bang for the buck--

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks