• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More info wanted, M149

aboonski

My guess, and it's only a guess is that the band is for reinforcement and probably made of steel. I would imagine the tank would have a tendency to flex when driving over rough country. I always wondered what the water would taste like coming from a fiberglass tank - same question for the aluminum tanks too.

aboonski

Update on M149A2 status

I just finished installation of mud flaps on the trailer this afternoon after renovation of all the bolts and the steel bar that holds the flaps to the trailer. These came off of the M149A2 trailer that I got over in the Orlando area - I am picking pieces off of the three trailers to get one functional unit that has everything on it. Little by little it is starting to take shape. I figured out how I will sanitize the interior tank and will be doing that next. Lavarok informed me of something I knew nothing about - Chlorine Dioxide gas. They use this stuff to sanitize locker rooms and to kill mold and mildew inside houses that have been subjected to moisture from tropical storms, etc. The same stuff will also treat the water that will eventually go into this thing which I hope to be using before too much longer. I still have to install the brand new main valve and all of the piping to include the faucets, then it will be done except for painting here and there.

Attachments

aboonski

Interesting Water Buffalo in Mississippi

This looks like a modification to me but might be the answer for people wanting to put surge brakes on one of these! It' on Ebay right now and I would have posted a photo but afraid to get gigged for "copyright infringement" (or something like that). Check it out!

400 gallon trailer mounted fiberglass insulated tank - eBay (item 130449097302 end time Nov-04-10 15:05:00 PDT)

If the link does not work, do an Ebay search under "400 gallon trailer mounted fiberglass tank".

aboonski

Veterans Day Parade

I dragged my Water Buffalo in the local parade and wanted to add a couple more photos to keep this thread alive. I finished bolting the Jerry Can holder onto the fender of the M149A2 - this came with one of the trailers that I bought over in Orlando Florida and might be a rare option for a water buffalo. Eventually I will find the correct water container to use in the holder that is specifically made for water. The mounts look like they were specifically designed for this application. If anyone is interested I'll take additional photos of the mounts and will post them later in this thread. During the parade I also had all four of my antennas deployed on the truck but removed them once I got home because of all the trees. I a constantly buying the balls for the tips of the antennas after the top of them hits low branches of trees that line the roads in and around our area. I also hooked up the pipes for the spigots and threw a few gallons of water inside the tank in case anyone wanted to see functionality after the parade was over. I still have to scrub the inside of the tank and take samples from inside to be sure no chemicals were used in this thing prior to my possession of it; I'll have a sample analysis accomplished at a local lab before finalizing it for potable water again.

Attachments

jasonjc

Can you list the sizes of the pipes use on your trailer?? I'm getting a M149A2 but all the pluming is missing and I will have to replace it all. Is it SS or brass or copper or___? Thanks and keep the updates coming.[thumbzup] Loking good by the way.

On a side note 400gal is not much for fire fighting. Get your self a pool, a big one. A fire truck can pump out 1500 gpm.

aboonski

Sorry I am getting back to you so late in the game but I don't check the site that often. I took some measurements from parts that I have for my second M149A2 which I plan to acquire a tank for (eventually). The pipe looks to be "red brass" or copper. Posting photos of the parts so you can make an educated guess too. It is 1 5/8" O.D and 1 1/4" I.D. You would need four (4) pipes 7 3/4" in length - these would be threaded atr one end as seen in the front piece of pipe in the photo. One screws into the manifold valve and connects to the other 7 3/4" pipe via a piece of rubber hose which gets you into the faucet covers. Once inside there is a brass fitting that allows you to thread a faucet into one part and then it has the 90 degree female portion where a 10" piece of the same size pipe (threaded at both ends) screws into. At the other end there's a 90 degree fitting that screws onto the pipe which has the female end where the other faucet screws into. One side of the buffalo is like that and the other side is different because it also has a special plug in the center of the faucet setup for the field kitchen hookup. If you need those dimentions let me know. I think there are photos of those parts in this thread already. Hope this helps.

Attachments

jasonjc

Thank you (sorry I'm a little late). Thats 7 3/4" is very helpful as the part listed in the TM comes back as only being 3 1/2". I would have wasted $$ getting 3" when I needed 7 3/4".
I'm still looking for that valve on the front and a lid for mine. I've found the Tee's and elbows. I have the 4 fill valves ,well atleast what the NSN gets you. They do not look like the ones that come from the factory. Nor are they what the PS mag says you need for drinking water. The one of yours with what look hose bibs is what it says you should have. I also have the quick disconnect for the MKT on the way. Now to make some new fenders and boxes, sand blast the frame, go thought whats left of the brakes,replace whats missing.
Gee, if I get all that done I will have a like new water buffalo.

aboonski

The 3 1/2" pipe sounds like the parts that connect to the kitchen hookup inbetween two of the water faucets on one side. I may have the old manifold valve for sale once I replace it with a new one that i bought a while back but it will need new O-rings for sure.

jasonjc

Keep me in mind if you want to sell the valve. The pipe by the hook up for the MKT are 4". Well that is what I found out by looking up the part # on webFLIS. They show the 4 off the main valve as 3 1/2" but they also say they are a MRAP part:roll:. So I will go by what you say. I think I will get all the "T's" and elbows , then buy the pipe.

aboonski

Jason I saw where you bought all new tees and faucets from an Ebay auction. Any chance the same seller may have another set of parts like the ones you got? Also, let me know if you are the guy who originally asked about my used valve. I've been so busy with home maintenance lately that I am way behind on the renovation of my miltary stuff. Looking for the plug that goes to the field kitchen outlet actually - I need one for my other M149A2. Whatever you paid for the fitting and valves you did well just by finding those things!

Alan R. Broadbent
2700 Oklahoma Street
West melbourne FL 32904
(321) 427-3070

jasonjc

Jason I saw where you bought all new tees and faucets from an Ebay auction. Any chance the same seller may have another set of parts like the ones you got? Also, let me know if you are the guy who originally asked about my used valve. I've been so busy with home maintenance lately that I am way behind on the renovation of my miltary stuff. Looking for the plug that goes to the field kitchen outlet actually - I need one for my other M149A2. Whatever you paid for the fitting and valves you did well just by finding those things!

Alan R. Broadbent
2700 Oklahoma Street
West melbourne FL 32904
(321) 427-3070
The t's and elbow all came from a dealer on ebay. I'll get you a link. The quick conect came for a diferent guy but I think he had more. The valve s
I got years ago I'll get the numbers off the packages for you too. I'm at the inlaws so went I get home I'll post it here and shot you a pm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks