• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more M818 questions

mikes47jeep

hi all

has anyone ever blown an axel in a 818?

how easy are parts to get? as in getting staranded at a NAPA, side of the road, or truck repair center?

how hard are engine parts to get in a bad situation?

how reliable are they overall?

how well dose a drop deck trailer fit them?

Mike

jwaller

hi all

has anyone ever blown an axel in a 818?

how easy are parts to get? as in getting staranded at a NAPA, side of the road, or truck repair center?

how hard are engine parts to get in a bad situation?

how reliable are they overall?

how well dose a drop deck trailer fit them?
Mike
1 no
2 easy
3 even easier
4 very
5 perfectly if you use a military one. civi ones will be a bit high in the tongue and the lights won't work.

M1075

I can answer "Yes" to question # 1. (Sort of, anyway) I snapped a M52A2 front axle in half, housing and all. Sheared it right open and broke the axle shaft. I had pics on here a couple of years ago when I did it. It left a mark on my forehead!

mikes47jeep

just to clarify this m818 will be used as an over the road toy hauler

hauling a M3 scout car, M20 greyhound, M3 halftrack, and a couple jeeps, not all at one time though

Mike

M1075

just to clarify this m818 will be used as an over the road toy hauler

hauling a M3 scout car, M20 greyhound, M3 halftrack, and a couple jeeps, not all at one time though

Mike
M818 is not a great choice for over the road toy hauler. Not enough gears or speed. If you want to stay with a military tractor, go with M915.

ida34

I would buy an older commercial tractor for this. That kind of weight is going to slow you down a lot on hills. Remember these were designed to run in convoys doing 45 mph. If you are just going to local events I see no problem but any more than a hundred miles and I would get a commercial tractor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks