• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more M818 questions

mikes47jeep

hi all

has anyone ever blown an axel in a 818?

how easy are parts to get? as in getting staranded at a NAPA, side of the road, or truck repair center?

how hard are engine parts to get in a bad situation?

how reliable are they overall?

how well dose a drop deck trailer fit them?

Mike

jwaller

hi all

has anyone ever blown an axel in a 818?

how easy are parts to get? as in getting staranded at a NAPA, side of the road, or truck repair center?

how hard are engine parts to get in a bad situation?

how reliable are they overall?

how well dose a drop deck trailer fit them?
Mike
1 no
2 easy
3 even easier
4 very
5 perfectly if you use a military one. civi ones will be a bit high in the tongue and the lights won't work.

M1075

I can answer "Yes" to question # 1. (Sort of, anyway) I snapped a M52A2 front axle in half, housing and all. Sheared it right open and broke the axle shaft. I had pics on here a couple of years ago when I did it. It left a mark on my forehead!

mikes47jeep

just to clarify this m818 will be used as an over the road toy hauler

hauling a M3 scout car, M20 greyhound, M3 halftrack, and a couple jeeps, not all at one time though

Mike

M1075

just to clarify this m818 will be used as an over the road toy hauler

hauling a M3 scout car, M20 greyhound, M3 halftrack, and a couple jeeps, not all at one time though

Mike
M818 is not a great choice for over the road toy hauler. Not enough gears or speed. If you want to stay with a military tractor, go with M915.

ida34

I would buy an older commercial tractor for this. That kind of weight is going to slow you down a lot on hills. Remember these were designed to run in convoys doing 45 mph. If you are just going to local events I see no problem but any more than a hundred miles and I would get a commercial tractor.