• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More than just the air pack

JEMartin

Hi All,

I picked my deuce up 3 weeks ago. Finally getting around to working on it. I pulled my air pack off to rebuild since it was constantly venting. Looks like I am going to have to rebuild the whole brake system. The attached picture is what came out of the air pack. Looks like a mixture of both DOT 5 and DOT3. Since I am new not really sure what it is. I do know it doesn’t look right.
break small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeepsinker

Your probably right. It could be water though. Have you drained the air tanks yet? Water shouldn't get in the brake fluid from the air tank, I just figured I'd ask. The previous owner may have sank the truck in a mudhole and left it for days or even longer, possibly allowing water intrusion from any of a bunch of points in the brake system. If you are going through the whole system, do yourself a favor and order a new master cylinder from Clintogf, $55 brand new American made replacement. You can't beat that anywhere.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it seems like you are getting picked on you aren't. Spelling is important for future users. It's brakes and NOT breaks.

My questions is where did you get those auto drain valves.

lino

Since I am new not really sure what it is. I do know it doesn’t look right.
View attachment 542710
That's a Black and Tan.

220px-Blackandtanbeer.jpg
It should be Guinness and Harp, but it looks like you got it upside-down. Yer Guinness should be on the top.

Joking aside, don't try drinking it to identify. And whether it's DOT3 and DOT3 or DOT5 and rusty water, the solution is the same. Which is exactly what you appear to be doing. Clean/replace/rebuild the whole shebang. Also worth looking for (but hard to find) are places where your brake lines might be internally corroded. With that much water sitting separated, you could have some very thin brake lines in places.

JEMartin

One of my favorite drinks when home in Ireland. Doesn't taste the same here. I did identify the source. When I removed the MC today, I noticed it was a new one. Only DOT 3 in it. Got to go get more alcohol (non-drinking and drinking kind). Going to rig up a quick connect adaptor to connect my power new power bleeder directly to my line at the MC and flush the lines. WC's next.

lino

Ha! I have the same stuff. Vintage '92.
I couldn't bring myself to use it. Plus I really wanted the contrasting purple color to tell when fresh fluid was coming out of the system.

I decided to order some new stuff from http://www.iris-911.com/products.htm per Peashooter's recommendation.
I should have 2 gallons of that ($32 each) on Monday...