• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More Tracked stuff!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The museum also owns an M114. The data plate nomenclature says T114. The t114 variant was the tank Killer, had a 106 recoilless mounted at the Commander's Coppola. There weren't too many made, I think it was experimental. This particular track has US Air Force markings. It is marked TRTG, tactical radar threat generator. The hull has been cut on the right side to accommodate a big generator. The generator is no longer in the vehicle but the control panel is. It was capable of 120/208/240 in 60 AND 400hz. The rear Gunners hatch and gun mount have been removed and welded over. The driver's hatch has had all of the vision block holes plugged and welded shut. The Commander's Coppola should be a clam shell type with a weapons mount. That hatches gone and covered with aluminum. One of the vision blocks has been removed and a whole bored vertically through the top of the vision block and into where the Coppola would be. I have no idea what was there. There's also amount on the front glacis plate where the swim board would be that held a radar dish. My job is to make it run. It hasn't run since 2001. So far looks like it just needs a carburetor repair. It cranks but no fuel.

Attachments

MAdams

How's the 60 and 400hz work? Common shaft but two generator heads? Also, I see a tow bar. Do the tracks freewheel? Or do you have to disconnect something?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No idea how the dual hz worked, there was most likely some sort of converter, stepper, something connected to the end. I do know for a 4 pole generator to produce 60 hz, it truns 1800 RPM. When I did work on gen sets at the airport, the engines still turned 1800 but were 400hz, maybe more poles on the rotor and the 60hz was scrubbed off of the 400 somehow. I was an engine guy, not a volts dude :cool:. As long as the drive/trans is in N, the vehicle can be towed, pushed with no issues.

Hows that big azz truck doin"?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a chance to think with it yesterday. We ordered a carb kit from Daytona parts in Florida. It got here Monday. Rebuilt the carburetor, as usual did not take before pictures but I did get some after it was cleaned up in parts pictures and a final assembled product. This is a funky carburetor, guess it was popular on Ford's and GM products back in the late 50s

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And of course, after the carburetor is installed and actually pumping fuel, the fuel pump decides to take a crap. Parts on order from Then and Now, did that early this morning, hopefully I'll have parts next Tuesday. Both the carburetor bowl and the fuel filter were filled with varnish. The books show that the last this ran was in 2001 call my baby that was before oxygenated fuel. Does the rest of the country have the same fuel that we have in California?

Attachments

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The T114 was the very early version of the m114, which had a m2hb over the commander station, what is pictured is one of the 1970s conversion to a radar target for training. Seen one or two other examples of the unit you have. As far vehicle with the 106mm, that was the T150 if I remember right which was a very early version of what became the m114. Screenshot_20200117-215726_Chrome.jpg

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See the cover over the vision blocks....the commanders area? We need that!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, did the fp today, another awesome kit from Then and Now. Again, took no pictures other than the finished product and the junk I took out of it. It lit and moved under its own power for the first time in about 20 years. It's been parked close to some pine trees so the engine compartment has pine tree stuff in it. The spotted sitting in now is going to be used to wash out the engine compartment. The exhaust manifolds are wrapped and when the fuel pump took a crap it's sprayed fuel onto the rapping so that needs to be douched off too. It should make some laps around tank row tomorrow. I posted a 30-second video to my YouTube channel but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to link it in this post. You can visit my channel and see it. m35a2ww

Attachments

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd prefer the M56 scorpion next to it. I'm restoring one and could use a few small parts, mainly one exhaust pipe with the heat shield.

Jason

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An update, Wouldn't start yesterday AM, Did all the checks, fuel, RPM, air, spark. All there, took a plug out to check comp and found it totally wet and fouled, no/very weak spark on the plugs I checked. compression is good, pulled the plugs on the rt bank, mix and matched, some not tight, pulled the left bank, THAT was a chore! Same thing, mismatched. We are gonna put some plugs in it. Thanks to Jason for the manuals, The plugs in it are NOT for the engine, correct ones are on the way, 1 step hotter since this lives it's life at idle and short trips. Have I ever said how much I HATE Holley carbs?

As for the other 114, it is Army owned, the Army does not want their stuff to run. The Scorpion is Museum prpoerty I believe. There is also an Ontos that is Museum owned. It has a broken cam, that is on a list to fix. There are a couple of M42 Dusters there....Army owned. Too bad, I'd like to see that run.

BLK HMMWV

When you going to get back to the priest with the radial in it.
Might have to come down and see that thing light off.
If nothing else I learn a few new cuss words every time I'm around you.
Just kidding you have a lot of patience .
"working blind basically while looking at a reflection in a mirror of what your trying to tighten or loosen all while bent into some advanced yoga position"
Carry on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks