• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mother and child killed by military truck

nw42

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just saw this news story concerning a military truck running over a Toyota Corolla with fatalities. I know alot of guys on here like to kid around about being able to run things over in deuces and 5 tons but in reality the situation would be like this, devastating for all involved. This definitely reminds me to be as safe as possible in my trucks and hope it will do the same for you. Mother, Child Killed In Wreck In Fiery Wreck - News Story - WYFF Greenville

Last edited:

Jimma

The lady killed was in her car sitting at a stop sign and was rear ended and her car was pushed directly in the path of a late model military cargo truck that was part of a military convoy. It looked like one the replacements for the M35A3 but it could have been a newer five ton. It was on our news this morning. The soldiers actually participated in rescuing the victims from the burning car but the mother and child died. A passanger did survive the burning reckage. It was not the fault of the truck driver but the A** H*** that rear ended her. I will look for pictures to post.

Jimma

I just read our paper and there is a picture of the truck. It was a M1078 belonging to the South Carolina National Guard stationed at the Armory in Anderson, SC. There is a picture of the truck in the Anderson Indpendent paper 8/13/10/

jesusgatos

It was not the fault of the truck driver but the A** H*** that rear ended her.
Have you ever been involved in an accident? Ever been at-fault? Ever had a close call? You know, **** happens. People make mistakes. I have. Once rear-ended a lady as we were approaching a stoplight because she stopped abruptly, and I wasn't paying attention. Totally my fault. I was lucky that we were only going a few miles per hour, and nobody was hurt. The driver of that blazer made a mistake. You know, that's why they call them accidents. Awful consequences in this case, and affected a lot of lives I'm sure. It's just a shame. That's all it is.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Very good Airmech , I couldnt say more.

On the note of the title, the news will put anything that will draw a reader or listener. Of course a NG truck hitting a SUV that was pushed in front of it will draw more of a crowd than Person not paying attention hits SUV from behind. Crappy that it draws negitive attention to the Military by doing that. You know some people will only read that Big Army trucks kill people....

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too pray for the families of ALL involved! Terrible tragedy! It's more than a "shame"! It's TERRIBLE loss of life! A shame is when you spill a glass of milk or lose an opportunity to do good for another! Safety for ourselves and for others! It isn't "if" I can drive my truck or not! It happens EVERY day, still, it doesn't make it "alright". Again, Aly and I are praying for ALL those involved!2cents
God bless,

Tony

whyme

i worry about this kinda thing all the time. i cant control what other people do but if i where in the position of that driver i would be eaten alive by this. at fault or not, my truck ran her car over kinda thing. scares me

srodocker

my cautious driving is defiantly a good thing when driving my deuce. i slow down WAY before i need to. we all have mistakes as i made one in the wreck i had in a round about and when on top of my car with a lifted ranger. bless all the families that were affected

Chief_919

Yep, I heard the news brief yesterday that just said "Military truck runs over car in Greenville" and jumped on the phone asap- my unit is in Greenville and I wanted to make sure it wasn't one of my guys.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
[Have you ever been involved in an accident? Ever been at-fault? Ever had a close call? You know, **** happens. People make mistakes. I have. Once rear-ended a lady as we were approaching a stoplight because she stopped abruptly, and I wasn't paying attention. Totally my fault. I was lucky that we were only going a few miles per hour, and nobody was hurt. The driver of that blazer made a mistake. You know, that's why they call them accidents. Awful consequences in this case, and affected a lot of lives I'm sure. It's just a shame. That's all it is. /QUOTE]

Jesus,

While I respect your opinion I strongly disagree with the term "accident" when applied to a situation like this.

When I was in the Active Army I was in the Transportation Corps. I was awarded Master Driver credentials by the Transpotation School at Fort Eustis, VA.

One of my duties in an Ordnance unit I was in was Drivers Trainer/Driving Instructor and License Examiner.

Anytime we had a serious incident involving vehicles I was usually one of the investigators that determined what action would result to the personnel involved...this could be anything from a warning, license suspension or criminal charges.

There is almost no such thing as a true "accident".

I have found that in the majority of incidents that there was some avoidable action that could have prevented the occurance.

Rear end collisions are, with very few exceptions, avoidable.

My question to the driver of the vehicle that hit the SUV and knocked it into the path of the military vehicle would be
"what were you doing that distracted you to the point that you hit a stopped vehicle". How fast was the vehicle going that allowed it to knock a stopped vehicle that far out into an intersection?

No doubt that he/she will have to live with the consequences of the action but criminal charges should be persued if there
was negligence involved. Two innocent people died as a result of something that prob could have been avoided.

Americans are crappy drivers....and I speak as a long time commercial and military driver.

I blame this on the fact that there is no mandated drivers training in America (high school drivers ed is a joke).

Driving should be taught to standards in a controlled environment and if you don't meet the standards you don't drive on
public roads.

The legal driving age in the US should be raised to 18 and it should cost some serious money to get a license....as well to have it reinstated if you screw up.

I don't want to hear that that is "economic discrimination"......you want driving privilages....get a job and pay for them.

Go look up requirements to get a license in Germany and other European countries. In Germany you learn how to drive....
not hold a steering wheel and hope for the best.

Driving is privilege...not a god-given right.

95% of the driving public does not take it seriously.

The fact that there are people with multiple DUI convictions still legally driving proves that point.

In other countries the 2nd DUI cost you your license for life.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks