• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting an AC compressor on stock 6.2?

erasedhammer

If I can catch some time this week I'll photo the brackets & post them here, if I'm smart enough to do it...:rolleyes:
I got photos of the compressor still installed on the engine if I can remember where they are.... I removed the comp eqpt & sold the engine.
Some yrs ago we pulled a 6.2 from an '82 GMC SWB 1/2 ton truck. I recently gave the block assy & heads & other loose parts away. I never had the ac eqpt but I can ask the boy I got it from if they are still laying around.
It appears the brackets reuse the standard drivers alternator base bracket?
Just going by the power steering bracket and those mount points.
Hard to find more pictures of m1010 setups online though.

dezertdemond

Those appear to be the exact same brackets I pulled from a civilian 6.2. The alternator base bracket gets changed as the ac one is a little different. The power steering pump mounts to the ac base bracket without any modification at all. Should be 5 pieces for a complete mount.

erasedhammer

Those appear to be the exact same brackets I pulled from a civilian 6.2. The alternator base bracket gets changed as the ac one is a little different. The power steering pump mounts to the ac base bracket without any modification at all. Should be 5 pieces for a complete mount.
I dont see much online for the bracketry. There's one ebay listing for one bracket.
AC compressor Bracket GM 14033866
Not sure if that is the correct one.

Does any big block chevy have an equivalent mounting system and bolt patterns?
Junk yards around me have some big block 1980 chevy trucks, but basically zero with the 6.2 diesel.

andyh1956

OK let me see what I can dig up. I have a 6.5 disassembled in the back of the shop. Also got another one complete up the barn, these are '94 engines. You won't use the COMPLETE setup, as you won't need the belt driven vacuum pump but I think I have the new correct shorter belt to go on it. Gonna send you a PM.

LT67

With summer being here, I am diving into the task of adding AC to my m1028.
The AC kits around that replace the entire air box and come with all the controls, ducting, vents, lines, and condenser look to be a turn-key option for not a ton of money (currently looking at the classicautoair kit). Only problem is none of those AC kit companies make a plug-n-play compressor and bracket solution for the 6.2 diesel.

So, What is the cheapest way to slap a AC compressor on this engine?
I have a 4bd1t sitting in the garage, so this 6.2 will be eventually taken out, which is why I don't want to spend too much on the engine side of the AC conversion. But the engine swap is probably 3 years out, and I would like to be comfortable while driving for the next 3 summers.

I have a 12v converted 6.2, and the drivers alternator is gone. Can this mount be reused for a compressor? What compressor and other bracketry would be needed if possible?
View attachment 870094

I should also preface with I have basically zero access to junk yard 6.2/6.5 diesels. Idk why but in the 3 years of monitoring the local junk yards, I have never seen those diesels come through. Plenty of small block 70s-80s chevy/gmc's but no diesels.

If the drivers alt mount can't be used, do I have to tear all the front end components off, and get a full pulley/bracket kit for a humvee or civi truck? Or can I just use a 4/5 groove crank pulley and mount some compressor under the passenger alternator?
This is how it was set up on my m1008 when I bought it. Just replaced the compressor this week..

Attachments

87cr250r

I'm putting a 2001/04 6.5 in my CUCV with complete with serpentine right now. I'm converting the CS144 alternator to 24 volts with a stator from a 21SI alternator and maybe a 24SI regulator (that's still in the mail). The 2001 has an AC compressor.

The dual thermostat housing doesn't clear your injection pump. The single thermostat housing doesn't clear your AC pump. There is a fast idle solenoid that is shorter and will work with the the dual housing. You'll have to cut and weld the water outlet from the dual housing to make a 180 degree elbow.

The 12v loads are minimal, I figure it's easiest to charge the batteries in 24v and use a 24v-12v converter to run the 12v loads. No significant changes to the wiring harness necessary.

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12v loads are minimal, I figure it's easiest to charge the batteries in 24v and use a 24v-12v converter to run the 12v loads. No significant changes to the wiring harness necessary.
What are you doing for lights? High beams on, I bet the stock lighting circuit draws 20A at 12v.

For OP (converted to 12v), I would recommend what others have suggested. Try to find a 6.2/6.5 in a junkyard with brackets for an A6 compressor. You'll need brackets shown at the link below, but they are expensive and hard to source online these days. Or you could probably fab a bracket set if you can't find anything in a junkyard, but I would try to put the compressor in the factory position if possible.

For people still running the stock 24V system and wanting to add A/C, I have my compressor mounted on the driver side alternator with a custom bracket and HMMWV pulleys.

The water pump pulley needs to be faced and bored to accommodate the CUCV fan clutch, or I guess you could run a HMMWV clutch. Otherwise I seem to recall everything just bolting on

Attachments

Last edited:

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you doing for lights? High beams on, I bet the stock lighting circuit draws 20A at 12v.

For OP (converted to 12v), I would recommend what others have suggested. Try to find a 6.2/6.5 in a junkyard with brackets for an A6 compressor. You'll need brackets shown at the link below, but they are expensive and hard to source online these days. Or you could probably fab a bracket set if you can't find anything in a junkyard, but I would try to put the compressor in the factory position if possible.

For people still running the stock 24V system and wanting to add A/C, I have my compressor mounted on the driver side alternator with a custom bracket and HMMWV pulleys.

The water pump pulley needs to be faced and bored to accommodate the CUCV fan clutch, or I guess you could run a HMMWV clutch. Otherwise I seem to recall everything just bolting on
Great info! A couple quick questions on your setup.

What compressor did you end up going with?

And the crank and water pump pulleys, do you have part numbers or where you obtained those from?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks