• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving from Texas to Bellingham Washington

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! That'll be a great trip! I wish you the best mechanical wise and in school.

You'll likely be driving right past me here. I'm about 20 miles north of Salt Lake City, UT, right off the interstate (unless you take the I-80/I-84 route into Utah from Wyoming, then you'd be about 10-15 miles North of me).

If you wanted, and could give me a day or so heads up, I could see if I could adjust my work schedule and I'd buy you a meal and you could chat with a fellow addict on your way through. Heck, I could put you up for the night if you really wanted. Plenty of room in the driveway. :mrgreen:

But no worries either way - you're basically heading on a one-way "pleasure cruise"!

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck on the move. You might want to consider cutting up through Oregon and then Yakima, WA after reaching Boise. Hwy 95 up the spine of Idaho is a pretty rough road for a deuce (or an RV, or semi, etc). It winds along a river and is beautiful country but not really designed for a slow moving beast like a M35.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have the time, I would suggest taking advantage of Google Earth and 'drive' your route using the computer to get a better feel for what it will be like (elevation changes won't show, but the curves in the road will). Mark spots that you will probably stop at, and/or where there will be fellow SS members that might be able to help if 'opportunities arise'.

red

Will do Valence. Sounds like you're near Hill AFB, that's officially where I was stationed from 2009-2012 (spent most of that time at Dugway and the demolition ranges over there).

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Planning to do some sight seeing along the way, take 1-2 weeks for the drive. Truck is on the 395's and muffled which makes it much more pleasant to drive at 55.

By the way, does anyone have a wrecker in that area that could help with unloading the shelter? I might have the bed roller installed before the trip but don't know yet.
Don't you pass everyone except Florida, Alaska and Hawaii with that trip? Cool adventure.

My uncle Melvin was a top tree topper out of Bellingham in the middle of the 1900's and cousin Clive still owns a fishing fleet there, last time I heard.
Clive is the cousin a guy always wants to hang around because he was into everything cool that was big. Your post just brought back 40 years of memories and the ocean smells of Washington street, so Thank You.

Looks like you already have wrecker offers but if you need a local contact once you land, let me know, I'll use any excuse to call him.

Good luck with the haul...... and we appreciate the trucks being brought a little closer to Canada.

red

Haha pretty much all but the east coast.

Looks like I'll have an M105 in tow. Leaving most of my furniture behind in the house (renting it out), but still have too much stuff to throw into the shelter and still be able to sleep there without a trailer.

A friend of mine up there is letting me crash at his place for awhile until I find a place to live. I'd like to find some unimproved land to buy, figure that would be the cheapest route. Plus, living in a apartment complex with a deuce and a half, probably wont go well haha.

red

Thanks.

Picking up the trailer this weekend and have some parts for the camper on the way as well.

Exact moving date is not set in stone yet, our official 'laid off' date is still up in the air.

red

uploadfromtaptalk1425577153347.jpeg

Unofficial word is getting laid off in may, so about 2-3 months left at most.

Picked up the 105 trailer last weekend, great shake down run.

REO 54

Hello Red.

Lived in Bellingham many years, good town. A little greenie and leftist politics about but there are still a lot of good folks up there and a few S.S. too I belive. Odnorth is not far in B.C. and I'm out here in the San Juan islands. I have tow bars and also a 21' roll back truck 4x4 w/w in case you really have a problem. GVW 37000 w drop axle so I could carry you.

Back in the day (80's) I used to like to travel norht out of Texas into Nevada and travel on 97 North while in Nevada. Then I would cross over west at Reno and hook up with 395 north till about Oregon. You can go west on I 84 or continue north into the Tri cities I belive. Hwy 12 west in Wa is a great senic route. Then there is I 90 west, but rather uneventful.

Hope all all goes well, REO

red

I hope you will find what your looking for. My thoughts are with you for good luck.
Thanks. Looking for a place with things to do outside of work, especially with the outdoors (hiking, offroading, shooting, etc). ****, maybe even a woman that can put up with my crazy self hahahaha.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Looking for a place with things to do outside of work, especially with the outdoors (hiking, offroading, shooting, etc). ****, maybe even a woman that can put up with my crazy self hahahaha.
I found mine in Idaho but she was actually living in WA at the time so there's a good chance you can pick one up in the area. Just be warned, I found out mine can shoot better than me so kind of hurts the ego a bit.

REO 54

There is a lot of opportunities for that up here. Also with the proximity to Canada,there is even more. Then there is the ferry system out here too where you can day trip out to Vancouver Island BC via the San Juan ferries in spring thru the fall.

You won't be bored. Plus, Bellingham is a college town so the possibilities on hooking up or more are good depending on age.... if that matters lol.

Shooting:
an indoor range just down the road from B'ham ...I'm a shooter myself.

http://www.whatcomcounty.us/parks/range/index.jsp

Last edited:

turnkey

Best luck on your move hope it goes ok for ya...Kids are in Wa. as they just moved out that way and love it...Should be a trip to have fun with...Best of luck for ya.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks