• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving soybeans with the m818

reb87

I borrowed a trailer to see if the m818 would handle the job. I used a set of magnetic lights from walmart with 1662 bulbs(24volt version of 1157) My first load was approx 900 bu beans and my gcvw was approximately 85000 lbs. I didnt put as much in the next loads and was running around 75000 lbs. The truck with trailer empty weighed around 30000. I need to move the fifth wheel forward some so I can get more weight on the front axle. the 85000 load only had 10000 on the front. The truck handled well and performed like our 427 gas powered chevy c65 trucks that haul 500 bu. (they weigh around 45000 full) There is one hill that I had to shift to 4th gear on but it pulled right up without another downshift into the dreaded 3rd gear. On a flat road it would pull around 50mph.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is sweet! I see it was hot, the A/C is on in the all the pics :wink:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Moving soybeans with the m818

Tofu blows. Let's hope those beans are destined for soy sauce or ethanol.

Great pics! Ditto on the different angle!

reb87

I bought the truck because we had a wet fall last year and had to unload on the road. I figured if the combine can get in the field I should be able to get in with the 6x6. I still want a m915 series 8x6 or maybe a m911 but I like the cummins better than the detroit diesel. Here are some more pics.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is really good to see the trucks working. My trucks are almost always on a permanent vacation!

reb87

I just bought a set of magnetic lights from walmart and pull the 12volt 1157 bulbs out and replaced them with 1662 24volt bulbs that I got from napa. I would have used the trailer lights but they are sealed and I couldnt put the 1662 bulbs in them.

I didnt have any problems with the air brakes they hooked right up. The service lines actuate the stopping brakes with the pedal or treadle and the emergency line releases the emergency brakes (that come on when pressure is lost)

The trailer sets up a little high in the front which is loading the back axle of the trailer more than the front axle but it worked okay. Whatever trailer I get to haul grain Im figuring on putting super singles on to make the hight more equal. I might put on a civilian fifth wheel as well because the military one is so tall.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks