• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mpe803a

m32825

#6 has the current carrying capacity you need, you'll be fine. Voltage drop for 50' of #6 is only a volt more than #4 at max current. I went with #4 because it's my hobby and I wanted some overkill. Code tells you the minimum required to prevent fires, the only penalty for going bigger is to your wallet. I figured it's not that long a run and I'm only doing it once so why not?

-- Carl

mchlsprgn

#6 has the current carrying capacity you need, you'll be fine. Voltage drop for 50' of #6 is only a volt more than #4 at max current. I went with #4 because it's my hobby and I wanted some overkill. Code tells you the minimum required to prevent fires, the only penalty for going bigger is to your wallet. I figured it's not that long a run and I'm only doing it once so why not?

-- Carl
I figured it was close . I have a odd situation, in that the power goes from the main out to a sub panel and back from the gen on the same wire. I need to insure I can't back feed utility power to the gen That would be a disaster !!! any suggestions would be appreciated Mike PS this is becoming a hobby

Zed254

I have a odd situation, in that the power goes from the main out to a sub panel and back from the gen on the same wire. I need to insure I can't back feed utility power to the gen
Post 191. Study the picture. I cannot close my 70 amp breaker unless the main disconnect switch is open: this prevents back feeding Dominion Energy's system when I am on generator power. I cannot close the main disconnect switch unless the 70 amp breaker is open: this prevents Dominion Energy power from energizing my generator.

Picture shows my house on Dominion Energy: main disconnect is closed.

mchlsprgn

Post 191. Study the picture. I cannot close my 70 amp breaker unless the main disconnect switch is open: this prevents back feeding Dominion Energy's system when I am on generator power. I cannot close the main disconnect switch unless the 70 amp breaker is open: this prevents Dominion Energy power from energizing my generator.

pic did did not come . I'd like to see Mike

Zed254

pic did did not come . I'd like to see Mike
Main disconnect is closed: I'm on power company's amps. If I switch the main disconnect to the right - open - I lose Dominion Energy's feed. The metal cover will now drop down and I will be able to close the contacts on my 70 amp breaker that feeds my panel when my generator is needed. In this configuration I cannot close the main disconnect switch and back feed my generator when the power comes back on. To do this I must first open the 70 amp breaker to allow the metal cover to be moved up and out of the way of my panel's main disconnect switch.

Attachments

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figured it was close . I have a odd situation, in that the power goes from the main out to a sub panel and back from the gen on the same wire. I need to insure I can't back feed utility power to the gen That would be a disaster !!! any suggestions would be appreciated Mike PS this is becoming a hobby
Howdy,
You need to hire a electrician.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks