• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MPG loaded, m915 vs M916 vs M920 ?

Bighurt

Using one of these trucks to make money is a hard row to hoe. They are spartan at best in the way of creature comforts. You can add air ride seats and AC and improve the ride some.

I drove a M916 from Fort Benning, GA, to Fort Chaffee, AR, and back hauling a D8 dozer one time. By the time I got back to Benning I had had about as much of that as I could enjoy for one month.

They ride like an oxcart and there is not a lot you can do about it. Even with a heavy load they will still jar your teeth out when you hit a bad chuck hole in the road.

If you are going to do short haul or permit loads where you are in a motel every night it prob isn't a big deal. You will have to run a log book and if you don't have a sleeper you will have to prove to the DOT that you are getting the proper rest breaks. They can put you "out of service" if they think you are fudging the paperwork.

Just my input for what it is worth.
I hope to let mine pay for itself, but it will all be local, and 95% will be personal or my business use.

I have to admit I bought the M915A1 and M871 because of the items on my MV wishlist they were the most likely to help pay for themselves.

I do hope once paid for they will pay for a big brother, and maybe an M820.

So I guess I bought them because I wanted them first and foremost, now I need to find the use. Good thing I have a full time and part time job already.

I still can't believe I got matching paint and matching model years for the pair...weird.

:beer:

Hammer

A GOOD air ride seat would be one of the first things to go in it.
It would be a 'home daily' type of setup. So no need for the sleeper (at first anyways.)
And I know, the LEOs don't like the motel idea, as they can't prove anything more then you having a receipt (which I don't see as much different then the sleeper cab.)

For an idea, one of the things I was thinking about was hauling a chipper van trailer. Most of the guys here gross 105,500, and I figured the 920 would be perfect for that. But even the 915 would do well with the 80k gross.
Btw, I have driven cement trucks, and the walking beam rear suspension with the solid bar will REALLY beat you to death. I figure anything has to be better of a ride then those.

I am not saying I want to run the truck forever like this, but that it might be a decent way to get into it with less of an investment. I have come VERY close to buying a newer (read, between 2000 and 2005,) Pete. But with the truck payment on top of everything else, it makes it hard to get started. That, and I hate making payments on something. I would much rather just buy it outright.

Hammer

Well, after talking to a few more guys, it seems like 'really good' mpg would be 5.5 to 6 mpg. Those are some pretty new trucks that are getting mpg like that. But they are grossing 105,500 lbs.
Thing is, I cannot put BIG tires on a 920 and haul a chip trailer without being over height. I will have to swap the 5th wheel out and take the ramps off just to be able to get under one as it is.
What is the OD in the 7155?
If it craps out, I will definitely go for an eaton 18 speed. I have one in the wrecker at work and love it. But I would rather spend as little up front as possible.

Bighurt

Well, after talking to a few more guys, it seems like 'really good' mpg would be 5.5 to 6 mpg. Those are some pretty new trucks that are getting mpg like that. But they are grossing 105,500 lbs.
Thing is, I cannot put BIG tires on a 920 and haul a chip trailer without being over height. I will have to swap the 5th wheel out and take the ramps off just to be able to get under one as it is.
What is the OD in the 7155?
If it craps out, I will definitely go for an eaton 18 speed. I have one in the wrecker at work and love it. But I would rather spend as little up front as possible.
I think Soni's 46" tires are big enough, Ross has 53" and the truck looks sick but we have to be practical. There is a line drawn in regards to form and function. And unless your hauling a dedicated modified trailer. Your going to have issues being to tall for some trailers.

I plan to emulate James setup at some point. Probably when she's paid for herself...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I sold a M916 to a guy that runs a wood yard and pulls a knuckle boom trailer and sometimes a chip trailer.

He swapped 5th wheels and actually put smaller tires on it since he was not worried about top end.

Last I heard he was happy as a dead pig in the sunshine with it.

Hammer

Yeah, if I could get the gearing changed, and an 18 speed transmission, then some commercial 24.5 wheels/tires, it would be a good setup.
But that is a bit of change to do right off the bat.

I KNOW I will like the truck. I am just trying to justify it by the numbers.
Cause it seems that the 915 would be the better choice to start with. But I would be limited to my gross weight with that truck.

Josh

Im assuming the 916/920 are like the deuces when it comes to front end. Always turning and what not. Is there anyway to pull the axle shafts on it to reduce some of the drag? Id suspect if ya could, there would help some.

Hammer

It would help, but I am not sure about finding 'locking hubs' for something like that....
Or even if you could, what the cost would end up being.

westfolk

It would help, but I am not sure about finding 'locking hubs' for something like that....
I know of a guy that is having them designed at the present. Someday they will be available.

Hammer

Yeah, never know when they will be, and just how much of a difference it will make.
IF I get one of these trucks to work, and when they get made, I would seriously consider getting them. Even a small mpg savings can add up fast.

oldMan99

Originally Posted by Hammer
I know of a guy that is having them designed at the present. Someday they will be available.
Westfolk, are you meaning locking hubs for the 916/920?? (I ask because I have heard of somebody working on hubs for the 5 ton but nothing at all about somebody working on 916/920 hubs....) Any further info?? Timeline? Estimated pricing? Availability? ... Anything at all you can add?

westfolk

Yes, lockout hubs for the M916. M917, M918, M919, and M920. I know you don't see to many 918 or 919 trucks, but they are all the same as far as the front axle. Now when you get into the variants, a1, a2, etc. I don't know if the axle changed or not.

Bighurt

Yes, lockout hubs for the M916. M917, M918, M919, and M920. I know you don't see to many 918 or 919 trucks, but they are all the same as far as the front axle. Now when you get into the variants, a1, a2, etc. I don't know if the axle changed or not.
I'm pretty sure the M916 and M917 are the only one that had variants.

The A1's had different axles, however M916A1 and M917A1 where the same base unit.

Of course this doesn't mean it's 100% true...

I personally like the original body stylings vs the A1 and further versions, more Mad max style...

Of course one could swap the entire assembly with little to no fab work.

2cents

lankyevilme

I hauled some loads with my M915A1 today. 60 miles round trip, 82,600 lbs loaded 27,700 empty on 2 lane interstate through 3 small towns and achieved 5.36 mpg. I was very accurate with the measurements because I wanted some good data to make freight decisions with. I hope this is useful. Obviously 1/2 of the trip was loaded and 1/2 unloaded.

FreightBoss

My 915a2 gets 5.5 pulling a load 40k. It only does about 1-2 mpg better if I am empty. Does anyone know if I could replace the Allison HT740 with one of the 16 speed trannys

They have coming up on auction? Part number MA31721020 GL is listing it as Northrup Grumman. ..I thought Cat made those 16 speeds for the M915??

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cat made the 16 speed 7155, Northrop Grumman rebuilt them at Ft. Polk. Far better idea to transplant a Fuller manual transmission from a parted modern truck with the same Detroit you have.

FreightBoss

Thanks..will do. I was reading some of the comments on the cat tranny and it sounds like trouble...I have become a little spoiled with the automatic...the hills and traffic in Pittsburgh gets my clutch knee (arthritis) screaming. Thanks for the reply. There still a ton of extra steel on the thing...perhaps i'll see what mpg I get if I strip it down a bit

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bringing this one back. I talked to wreckerman the other day about obtaining a 915 with the 16speed to help me on my long hauls. My 5 ton doesn't do bad at all. Just would prefer the extra speed. Averaging around 48mph for 760miles on towbar is horrible, but not bad considering all the hills and mountains.

How hard do the 915s with the 16spd pull? I know I can do some pump work to get that big cam I with a little more umph. But I am sure with all those gears it should pretty well stay in the powerband. I know the range on it wouldn't be that great but I am looking for it to be a quick run rig or maybe a long haul every so often. I know I do not want the A1 with the Allison cause I don't want to listen to the screaming. Opinions from those who own or have driven the older ones. I am not worried about mpg at all but I am sure it would be better to load up and go than my 5 ton and dolly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks