• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MPG loaded, m915 vs M916 vs M920 ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Talked with a guy today about one going in my 923 just to keep that 250 in the powerband all the time. The hole on 3/4 in the M809s and the massive drop on the Allison is horrid especially loaded. I Know it requires a lot of air valves and crap and wont work unless you have 60psi.

red

Read that most of the issues are due to dirty air and a lack of proper lubrication in the air solenoids of the trans. Interested in it for the same reasons (powerband) but it will be awhile before I do any swap.

For air supply I have a few extra air tanks going onto the 816.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bringing this one back. I talked to wreckerman the other day about obtaining a 915 with the 16speed to help me on my long hauls. My 5 ton doesn't do bad at all. Just would prefer the extra speed. Averaging around 48mph for 760miles on towbar is horrible, but not bad considering all the hills and mountains.

How hard do the 915s with the 16spd pull? I know I can do some pump work to get that big cam I with a little more umph. But I am sure with all those gears it should pretty well stay in the powerband. I know the range on it wouldn't be that great but I am looking for it to be a quick run rig or maybe a long haul every so often. I know I do not want the A1 with the Allison cause I don't want to listen to the screaming. Opinions from those who own or have driven the older ones. I am not worried about mpg at all but I am sure it would be better to load up and go than my 5 ton and dolly.
I've been using my 915 w/ Cat 7155 a lot lately. Pulls just as hard as any modern 400 hp truck. 18 PSI boost when at 400 hp. Runs 70 mph/2100 RPM. Same amount of noise as the 915A1 I had at 2100 RPM. Plenty of splits to keep the engine in the power band. I worry a lot about all the unavailable obsolete Cat-specific O-rings in the 7155 though, we all know how O-rings can deteriorate over time.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would think a rubber and seal company would be able to match em up. If not i guess those 7155s are going cheap here lately on GL.

What is the rear ring size? 3.90 or 4.30?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

reb87

My 915A1 with 395 tires runs 68 mph. The 5 speed Allison is super easy to drive, far better than the 16 speed cat. I've hauled hundreds of thousands of bushels of corn and soybeans using both trucks. I would much rather drive the Allison. I have a 915 that is a finicky shifter and needs some tlc if anybody needs one!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My 915A1 with 395 tires runs 68 mph. The 5 speed Allison is super easy to drive, far better than the 16 speed cat. I've hauled hundreds of thousands of bushels of corn and soybeans using both trucks. I would much rather drive the Allison. I have a 915 that is a finicky shifter and needs some tlc if anybody needs one!

What are you looking to get out of it? an A1 I assume?

reb87

I have 4 915a1 trucks and 1 915. The 915 has been sitting for a few years because I was tired of the hassle shifting it. It needed air pressure over 100psi to shift reliably which was tough if you like to use the brakes. I robbed the drivers seat and headlight switch, the parts that roll up the drivers window were gone when I got the truck from Govliq so the window is shimmed in place with a block of wood. If you are still interested after all that I'd want 4k for it or I'll put the engine in another truck. If you are really wanting a truck and have time to wait for the right one look for a 915a1 with air conditioning on the auction sites, they seem like a pretty good buy.

AP40ROCKTRUCK

Question of the AM General cab, on the drivers side, the vent door between the cab door & engine hood (front of cowl), does the door fit flush to the side of the cab? Or does it close against the side?

Thank you
AP40

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
M915a1, 395 tires. 34lbs max, boost. Grossing 42500 empty is 6mpg avg 65mph. Grossing 79800 on i10eb from Arizona to Louisiana around 4.5 running 65

Hammer

Thanks for the empirical data Wes!
I have driven my M920 a bit, but no long hauls with anything heavy.
I think the most I have grossed so far is in the 80k range (lowboy with medium excavators, dozers, forklifts, etc.) But I haven't had anything consistent yet to measure loaded mileage.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
can you get m915a3's yet? Because if so, those are basically just camo freightliners no?
yes, the M915A3's are basically a 1990's-early 2000's FLD120 setback axle with an automatic .. My 2000 FLD120 w/std fuller and series-60 averages 7mpg on northeast interstates with my foot in it but I've never grossed over 60,000 with that particular truck. I would assume (bad word!) one loses 2 to 3 mpg with an automatic, but many will say that's worth it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks