• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MSA MCU-2/P Gas Mask - What Voice Amplifier/Microphone is Used?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have what I believe is an MSA MCU-2/P gas mask as pictured below. Its lens is yellowed from age, but it has a 2-pin connector for what I also believe is a microphone? I've done a lot of searching and found some less than helpful videos of people talking about the mask and even a voice emitter, but zero specifics Part Numbers, NSN or etc.

I'm trying to find out what voice amplifier/microphone (emitter?) or whatever is used in conjunction with a mask of this type.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

(Interesting tid-bit, the last photo above shows a mold marking of "00 MSA 5479", that indicates that the mask was manufactured by MSA in the year 2000)

The closest I can find are models of this mask that do NOT have this 2-pin connection and seem to use this "Audio Projection Set" (APS). However, with the slot cut out on the backside of this APS, it looks like it would work with the mask that I have, but then what is the point of the 2-pin connection?

Model NO. B-181050
NSN: 5830-01-364-4595

s-l1601.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1602.jpg s-l1603.jpg s-l1604.jpg s-l1605.jpg s-l1606.jpg s-l1607.jpg s-l1608.jpg s-l1609.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is a MCU-2A/P they had a problem with those leaking through the voicemitter and were removed from later masks. The lens was also changed from silicone(your yellowing one) to a polyurethane in the Gen2 version. The 2 pin connector on yours is for an external M101/AlC microphone that connects to a female jack which is used with the U-137/U type male audio plugs. The APS/ VPU (voice projection unit) you show is the correct one for your mask or the M42, the cable is removed when using the APS and the mic is not needed also.. The voicemitter is the round gizzy with the holes in it, there is a thin tight diaphragm in it that helps in hearing what the wearer is saying The Mic and cable the hooked up on the outside were used by ground or aircrew and others that either hooked up with commo via radio or intercom. Like a plane captains headset, it could also be used with a CVC helmet but tankers used the M42 mask.
MCU2AP.jpg M42-2.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking I'd need some expensive mic and voice unit, but to find out that it was for cabling to radio equipment that I don't have (nor intend to have) then I suppose I can get the much cheaper VPU (Voice Projection Unit) pictured earlier.

Thanks a ton for that quite detailed and helpful information and pictures!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks