• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mud Dauber and air tank drain valves issues

goldneagle

If you have mud daubers where you live then you probably have a problem with them filling the drain valves for your air tanks with mud. (especially if you don't use the truck frequently) I have had to clean those holes our many times due to being plugged up with mud and larva. Well Tuesday of this week I had one valve that was leaking air no matter how tight I tried to close it! I believe that the dirt had gotten to the brass seal and damaged it so it would leak air through. I had to use a plug temporarily so we could go recover our trailers.

Wednesday I replaced all the drain valves with new ones. I decided to try to plug up the rain holes in the valves with something removable. I thought maybe some pieces of super-rope would fit, but they were just a bit too large in diameter to fit the opening. So I am thinking "what do I have that I could use to plug up the holes but can be easily removed for draining the tanks" Then I thought "plastic wall anchors" I tried 2 different sizes and the 1/4" blue ones fit perfect! There is a 1/4" that sticks out so I can grab them for removal.

The picture shows them in the valves. I plan to add RTV Silicone or caulk to the hole in the anchor so the mud daubers will not fill it with dirt. I will add the picture of the final product later.

Attachments

goldneagle

If you want to get fancy you can add a stainless steel screw to each anchor and tie a fishing line to it. Then attach the other end of the fishing line to the bracket -so you don't lose the plugs.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A side note - if you open the drain valve on your M931 to drain the air, and it has a dirt dauber plug in it, you can, under just the right circumstances, accidentally hit your girlfriend from 25' away with a larva that squishes on impact.
A word of caution though - she will NOT think it's as funny as you do!

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks