• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mud Dauber and air tank drain valves issues

goldneagle

If you have mud daubers where you live then you probably have a problem with them filling the drain valves for your air tanks with mud. (especially if you don't use the truck frequently) I have had to clean those holes our many times due to being plugged up with mud and larva. Well Tuesday of this week I had one valve that was leaking air no matter how tight I tried to close it! I believe that the dirt had gotten to the brass seal and damaged it so it would leak air through. I had to use a plug temporarily so we could go recover our trailers.

Wednesday I replaced all the drain valves with new ones. I decided to try to plug up the rain holes in the valves with something removable. I thought maybe some pieces of super-rope would fit, but they were just a bit too large in diameter to fit the opening. So I am thinking "what do I have that I could use to plug up the holes but can be easily removed for draining the tanks" Then I thought "plastic wall anchors" I tried 2 different sizes and the 1/4" blue ones fit perfect! There is a 1/4" that sticks out so I can grab them for removal.

The picture shows them in the valves. I plan to add RTV Silicone or caulk to the hole in the anchor so the mud daubers will not fill it with dirt. I will add the picture of the final product later.

Attachments

goldneagle

If you want to get fancy you can add a stainless steel screw to each anchor and tie a fishing line to it. Then attach the other end of the fishing line to the bracket -so you don't lose the plugs.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A side note - if you open the drain valve on your M931 to drain the air, and it has a dirt dauber plug in it, you can, under just the right circumstances, accidentally hit your girlfriend from 25' away with a larva that squishes on impact.
A word of caution though - she will NOT think it's as funny as you do!

Cheers