• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler on a multi-fuel...?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A

A/C Cages

I like that baffle idea too. Might have to try that myself.

Oh dont forget to set your clocks back tonight.

MasterChief

I am new to posting. I have tried to help in the past & been jumped on by others.
I thought I might give it one more try and share the results of my experiance.
If anyone has a "problem" - Please keep comments constructive.

I wanted to put a muffler on my multi fuel turbo deuce and keep it looking "stock" behind heat shield.

I learned much from this thread and looked at the Dynomax 24216.
I used the Moroso 94052 as it is a little quieter - no drop in performance.
I found best price at Jegg's and they also sell a high temp O.D. green primer by duplicolor.

I put a lot of research into this and I hope it helps someone who wishes to take the edge off the sound & still look stock.

I hope I have provided some help to others....
I "thought" such was the reason behind SteelSoldiers.....

MasterChief

MasterChief

The paint is Jegg's part number: 318-DAP1690.
It is a spray can. Jegg's refers to it as a "self-etching primer".
The Jeggs Tech department Assures me the paint can withstand the temp. of this application - and they will stand behind this use of the product.

I have yet to apply the paint myself - but I will report back if it fails.
Hey - for under $8, and gaurenteed, I am willing to give it a try!

MasterChief

MasterChief

Project Results

Reporting results of muffler install on my multi fuel turbo Deuce:

Parts:
From Jeggs ( great prices & free shipping)
Moroso 94052 muffler $50
Duplicolor DAP 1690 paint $7
From local Napa store
Weather cap 703-3570 $12
Two 3.5" muffler clamps $8
Ehx pipe connector 41893 $15
3' of 3.5" pipe 49011 $ 16

I Love the results! Everyone has different tastes but for me this was a no welding, bolt on, no-brainer.
The entire thing looks very stock and hides behind the heat shield.
The sound reduction is tremendous! You can have a conversation while driving yet still get the cool whistler sound.
The paint is a shade lighter than my Marine Corps green BUT is will withstand the heat.....Working on that.
Soda bottles and Coffee cans work fine but removing them after two feet of snow in an ice storm gets old fast. I oriented the weather cap with the weight towards front as I learned from this thread.

I think I have provided complete info but please ask if there are any questions.

MasterChief

greenjeepster

I am new to posting. I have tried to help in the past & been jumped on by others.
I thought I might give it one more try and share the results of my experiance.
If anyone has a "problem" - Please keep comments constructive.

I wanted to put a muffler on my multi fuel turbo deuce and keep it looking "stock" behind heat shield.

I put a lot of research into this and I hope it helps someone who wishes to take the edge off the sound & still look stock.

I hope I have provided some help to others....
I "thought" such was the reason behind SteelSoldiers.....

MasterChief
Sorry for your experience. Some members around here take themselves far too seriously and are far to quick to jump on people for voicing their opinions... Then some mods shelter these same members if you dish it back...

Nature of the Beast. You would think we were in grade school or something.

Have any pics to post?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I met a Youper this weekend, Camp9. He just got a 1998 5 ton. This truck was amazing and I paid special attention to the stock muffler system.I think I am going that rout along with the recommendations of A/C Cages on the lizard skin. I am guessing this is the best I can do on the quiet tip.

PsycoBob

I added a Walker 22844, similar to the Donaldson M090146. It's huge- I had to remove the heat shield & MG ring mount bracket to fit it. I added a bracket attached between my hardtop & windshield frame to take some of take some of the stress off the exhaust, as the stock pipe bracket doesn't exactly fit...

The truck came with foam insulation in the cab & ha fiberglass hardtop. C-D turbo swap, Monster Muffler & foam strips around hood & side panels. Next up, bolting down the loose PS fenderwell at the frame & insulating the hardtop. Truck's already quieter than the CUCV, until you walk in front of the radiator. I can hear the turbo spooling between shifts now. :D

For normal people, the next step down is a good choice. If you want to try making a Ninja Deuce, this or rear exhaust with bigger mufflers is a start.

Attachments

MasterChief

As Requested - Here are some pictures of my muffler install.
Worthy of note:
removed all labels from exhaust hardware, wiped down with acetone and pre-painted prior to install.

also note lowest clamp is perpendicular to truck body. This prevents interference with vent door.
Higher clamp is oriented to match factory (stock) support bracket clamp.

I Love this set up.
I did three weeks researching this project and could have done it in 3 days if I found the info I have provided.
I hope I have helped others with this.

Everyone has different opinions but for me this is a no-welding, highly effective , no brainer.
It hides behind the stock heat shield, cuts the sound dramaticaly and does NOT impede performance.

Feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

MasterChief

That is not what I did. I did not do anything as difficult as that! My install is a complete "bolt-on"!

The muffler has a "big" end & a "small" end.

I cut the "J" pipe and slid in the muffler's big end over it & installed clamp #1.
Then I installed the Napa connector ( see my posts above for #) on the small end of muffler using the stock support clamp to connect.

I used an additional clamp to connect the other end of the Napa connector to the length of 3.5" pipe & attached the weather cap on top.

I want to say again: this is so easy it is hard to believe. There is no welding, no "slitting or slotting", no hammering, ( no need for "swearing" Ha).

It just bolts together as easy as can be!

Look at my pictures -
I may not be the best at putting the procedure into words -
But I will reply to any questions & help as best as I can.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you all think the large black muffler on the previous page or master-Chief's system is quieter..?

I like Master-Chiefs set up, looks clean, the huge one before his write up looks like it would be way quieter. I like them both. HMMMMMMMMMMM...?

MasterChief

Addressing islandguydon:

As I have said previously, everyone has their own preferences.
I am pretty sure the larger muffler IS quieter - it looks like it should be...
But it was important to me that I retain a "stock" look.

I reached a compromise that worked for me. That is not to say it works for anyone else.

I am glad you like what I did.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks