• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler on a multi-fuel...?

MasterChief

Well I am not a scientist with a Decible meter -
But I think saying 1/3 for sure and closer to 1/2.

More than 1/2 at idle and less than 1/3 at full open throttle...
That is why I get no preformance drop!

The Moroso unit is not a "glass pack" straight through muffler". I is actually pretty sophisticated.

I can tell you this:
I still get the cool whistler sound - yet I can converse normally outside the truck at idle.
At idle I can enjoy the sound of my engine purring like a fine tuned machine.
I can actually have a conversation in the truck as I drive down the road- loud voices but no longer need to yell and use hand jestures - Ha Ha !

When operating I can hear the other systems of the truck. I can tell if they are working well or not. I can hear enough to know if there is a problem before I am deaf to catastrophic failure!

Yet it does not sound as if I "castrated" it.

These features to make it work for me.

sandcobra164

I've not read any of the thread, however a muffler thread does come up from time to time on the Deuce. I put a big Donaldson 3 inch in and out on my truck, cut the pipes so stack height would be same as stock and rotated to go perpendicular to the cab. Very good difference at idle, slight improvement driving under throttle, and I can still clearly hear the whistle from the C turbo. I originally had a D turbo when I put a muffler on, I prefer the whistle. Honestly though, the C turbo helped to quiet down the drone, perhaps by breaking up some of the lower sounds. And the wife can still hear it from a mile a way when I'm coming home.

SoundGuy

I just ordered the Moroso muffler from Jegs. I will take db readings inside and out before and after and post them here. I also bought the paint. I will try it. If it burns off, oh well. It might have this cool burnt look to it. If it doesn't work, I will probably just use some high temp black paint from lowes. I would much rather the OD.

SoundGuy

I just got the Moroso Muffler Installed. Here are the db readings as promised. I tried to be as consistent as possible in before and after measurements. I can say that the muffler does work well, but it still seems loud in the truck. As others have said I hear the other noises now. My Whistler sounds much better now I find. I actually find it more defined. At idle, i can barley tell a difference. When it makes a big difference is when driving. I am able to actually talk to someone without having to take my foot off of the gas. OK, I do kinda have to yell, but a passenger could hear me.

Before Muffler
Outside truck at idle 80db
Inside truck at idle 76db
Inside truck while driving 50mph 92db

After Muffler
Outside Truck at Idle 78db
Instde truck at idle 75db
Inside Truck while driving 50mph 82db

What I bought from jegs
Part # Description Unit Price Qty Price
710-94052 SPIRAL FLOW MUFFLER 3.5" $54.99
289-33279 BAND CLAMP-STAINLESS 3.5" $7.99
289-33273 BAND CLAMP-STAINLESS 3.5" $8.99
318-DAP1690 Self-Etching Primer $7.99

Subtotal: $79.96
Shipping, Handling & Tax(If applicable): $12.99
Total Charges: $92.95

I will try to post pictures tomorrow when it is daylight. It rained too much today to get a pic. Oh, the paint doesn't seem to hold up to the heat very well. I don't mind though as even with the burnt paint it stills looks better than without it. My exhaust really needed painted before.

MasterChief

Reply to SoundGuy:
I am glad seem as pleased with the set up as I am.
I have been running it hard for weeks now and am still entirely pleased.
But I am puzzled about your "paint failure".
We used the exact same paint and mine has held up perfectly under extreme usage....(?)
All I can think of is that if you refer to my post of 11-15-2011 - the post with the pictures,
I included instructions about my pre-painting surface preperation IE: sticker removal, cleaning and a complete wipe down with Acetone prior to painting.
Exhaust components are often covered in a thin coating of oil to inhibit rust....
In my experiance, propper prep is key to painting results.
What prep did you do SoundGuy?
I am curious as to why the paint worked for me and failed for you.
I also want to thank you for the great data on sound readings!
I do not have the equipment to do that!
I appreciate you sharing the data.

SoundGuy

Please don't misunderstand. I am totally happy with the end result. Even the paint. I am not a pro anything, Especially painter. What is did was clean the whole pipe with carb cleaner to get rid of the oil residue. Why carb cleaner, because I had a extra can and it was easy to find. I this did a light sanding and wiped with a rag damp with carb cleaner. It says it leaves no residue. I waited a while for it to dry and then did several light coats of the paint/primer. It is not flaking or pealing, but right in the middle of the muffler, it looks darker. It also looks darker lower to fender. I just figured that the paint is burning. It may be due to my prep work or lack there of. It kinda matches the camo on my truck anyways. Curious, mine did not have a sticker on it. It had like a bumber sticker in the box, but nothing stuck to the muffler.

MasterChief

Reply to SoundGuy RE: Paint prep

Thanks for reply as it may help others.

Your intent was good and your effort at paint prep was excellent.

Unfortunately I have found that many carb cleaners actually contain some form of petrolium distilates ( enemy of paint adheasion).

I do love carb cleaner - it is the "duct tape " of spray cans! Ha

But to prep for paint I like an actual solvent like Acetone, Paint thinner, De -Natured alcohol or in a real bind 90% first aid alcohol from the pharmacy section of any store.

shenkmen

I use brake cleaner for everything metal. It does not leave a residue. I've never had a problem with paint or anything else sticking afterward.

SoundGuy

Thank you for the info. The paint does seem to stick well. It may be due to the heat, but it seems very hard to even scratch. It is just darker is some spots and was very even before I ran the engine. It may be a south Louisiana thing. I do love carb cleaner. I used it to clean a cluster mistake in my air booster earlier this week. I love the stuff.

SoundGuy

OK. Here are the pics. You can see the dark spots that I am talking about. The heat grill brackets are tight, but at a slight angle due to the clamps in the way. In hindsight, I should have cut 1/2" off of the muffler to make it fit better.

Attachments

Heath_h49008

Just a note...

Carb cleaners are better solvents for petroleum based contaminants. BUT they do contain a lubricant. Which makes sense considering the moving parts it's designed to clean.

Brake parts cleaners can have a hard time cutting varnish/cosmoline but leave NO residue. Pyroil 6004 was common and cheap.

MasterChief

Reply for SoundGuy,

The pics are worth 1000 words as they say....

My install still looks the same as the day I posted pics on 11/15/2011 - and I have logged many hours of hard use.

I can only guess at two causes for the condition in your pics:

1) As discussed- could have benifitted from better paint prep.
2) For what ever reason, your engine exhaust is MUCH hotter than on my whistler multi-fuel turbo diesel.

I used standard "cheap" clamps and not the more expensive band clamps shown in your pics.
But I do not see how clamp type would effect the paint issue.

Thanks for posting the pics.

SoundGuy

I don't know how cold it is there, but the discoloration happened on mine after about 1 hour of running and it was about 80 degrees outside. Again. I kinda think the paint now matches the camo.

Katahdin

On my J pipe and Donaldson muffler I've noticed Gillespie 24087 Olive Drab turn pink in spots. I think I've noticed similar effects on old military photos somewhere too. My muffler was wiped down with Denatured Alcohol and first coated with black stove paint. The S pipe is just 24087 over Carc. I'd say its the effect of high temperatures on the paint more than anything else. I just touch it up with a small paint gun tuned down to a small dispersal pattern as necessary.

joshs1ofakindxj

Per MasterChief's great instructions, I put on a Moroso muffler from Jeggs last weekend. Definitely a quieter ride. The girlfriend and I can talk in the cab now. I left the stack tall, re-using all of the factory pipe, so that might be making my cab quieter too. The stack is around even with the top of the cargo cover bows. I also had the muffler turn a dull red after I sprayed it with Krylon OD green flat camo spray paint. After a touch up though it is now staying green. I'm a happy camper now!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks