• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA 2012 Alaska Highway Convoy

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without searching again, aren't the 10 year plan "trips" supposed to be self supportive (no cost to the main membership)? I don't get the negativity, if you don't want to go don't. I know I will do the route 66 run (i'll be retired then). Also I will do at least part of the CA run (before the 66 run). Last for those who forget, the MVPA is a worldwide association. Canada has members too.[thumbzup]

Stalwart

Jeeps get lousy gas mileage as found out the hard way on the last event. Mind you, none of my stuff gets any better, everything I have just happens to have a larger tank, 155 gal for the HEMTT

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm kicking this around. what do you all think about a m37 w/w, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4bt, power steering, deuce transmission, 4:89 gears, 11/16 mich. tires, pulling a m101 trailer setup for camping. I would trailer it all to Dawson Creek with my 5500 Dodge cab & chassis and leave from there. Like they said, Once in a life time!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm kicking this around. what do you all think about a m37 w/w, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4bt, power steering, deuce transmission, 4:89 gears, 11/16 mich. tires, pulling a m101 trailer setup for camping. I would trailer it all to Dawson Creek with my 5500 Dodge cab & chassis and leave from there. Like they said, Once in a life time!
Here is one that was done but with a NV4500.

M-37 ' Bandit '

oldMan99

The 4bt conversion is very popular for Jeeps. Works great.

The upgrade to 4 wheel disc brakes will be like night and day as well.

You may want to look at something like 4.11 gears but to get a better idea you can try plugging in all your numbers in the chart I mentioned at the bottom of this page: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/62707-m920-differential-gears-2.html

(Use the tool that lets you plug in the transmission gears as well to get the best idea. When you read the above linked page note the discrepancy I found as you may want to take that possible error into consideration.)

Good Luck! - (Let us know how it all works out!)

m38mike

I wonder what the $300 go for. That's a chunck of change if 100 people sign up?
Advertising, registration materials, professional photographer during convoy and to compile the DVD, deposits to hold facilities open for the convoy, promotional materials, mailings to folks who do not have computers, and whatever other costs come up to make this event successful.

A budget has been put together and when the planning gets along a bit so we have a better idea of all the costs, and there's more definite plans and info being put out, then the budget will go out too.

scrapdaddy, I think that sounds like an interesting mod on the M37. With a rig set up like that you may be able to simply drive it all the way from home!

Thunder in NWOR

Our friend, CWO Sonny from Florida, drove a 1961 Dodge M37B1 towing an OD green 1965 Airstream trailer named General Halftrack from Florida to DC, then on the TMC'09 Convoy to San Francisco, and back home to Florida.

He repowered the M37 with a 4BT Cummins from a 1982 patato chip truck, with the turbo 400 GM transmission and a GM 411 rear end from a 1976 Chevy 3/4 ton truck. The only problem he had that I remember was a on a 105 degree day going over the mountains on Hwy 30 in PA.

It sure seemed like a great combination!

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 51 m37 is all done, except the engine and transmission. 3/4 ton chevy disc brakes and power steering, 4.89 gears are already in, I don't think you can get any other gears for the m37, other than stock ( 5.38 ? ) and 4.89. The trip is a good reason to get moving on the conversion! I hope the MVPA guys don't mind a non stock truck.

davidkroberts

well the firearm/hunting thing being out for the convoy is a bummer but not a deal breaker... Im a big boy and am not planning on taking my toys and going elsewhere because things arent working out like I want them too, its not my party as an invitee Ill follow the rules, besides nobody said anything about fishing........ but if i get eaten by a bear get ready for a big "I told you so"....

I PMed CatMan and asked him about towing a small travel trailer behind the M1009 for the trip. He said he was doing the same thing just painting his green to match.

I understand the substantial cost outlay for a trip like this. I cant see taking a M1009 pulling a small travel trailer costing 15,000 dollars. When you talk about a m109 driving the whole way or shipping your truck to BC for the trip beginning and driving yourself I can see how this would add up.

For those of us who are planning going how are you planning on pulling this off. If we can see how everyone else is planning on doing it maybe we can get ideas of how we can do this better.

For me Ill have a m1009 with a stock drivetrain pulling a craigslist (most likely) used tiny travel trailer. The truck will have spare fuel cans, fluids, tools, and a spare passenger side alt with isolated ground. any other parts are pretty easy to find. Im bringing two spare tires on the rim. The trailer will have a LP heater stove and dual powered fridge, tire/rim conversion to take the same tire as the truck, upgraded higher capacity propane tanks, and a small generator.

The trip should be pretty simple. Get in the truck at home drive until the people talk funny get gas repeat until in BC. I have a tourist passport insurance and clean record. Ill probably get a insurance rider for Canada. same thing for the convoy. Drive, fuel up, repeat as necessary

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 51 m37 is all done, except the engine and transmission. 3/4 ton chevy disc brakes and power steering, 4.89 gears are already in, I don't think you can get any other gears for the m37, other than stock ( 5.38 ? ) and 4.89. The trip is a good reason to get moving on the conversion! I hope the MVPA guys don't mind a non stock truck.
You are basically doing safety and reliability upgrades and it will still look stock on the outside. No one will say anything, I'd drive it in a heartbeat.:beer:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The trip should be pretty simple. Get in the truck at home drive until the people talk funny get gas repeat until in BC. I have a tourist passport insurance and clean record. Ill probably get a insurance rider for Canada. same thing for the convoy. Drive, fuel up, repeat as necessary
Crap I forgot you need passports now to get back in after a visit to great white north . Mine expired last year, well there's another $80 but will need one anyways..

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
but if i get eaten by a bear get ready for a big "I told you so"....
I just saw an article on a taser for bears. It holds 3 charges so you can zap him again if needed or handle 3 bears at once (good luck with that).

For those of us who are planning going how are you planning on pulling this off. If we can see how everyone else is planning on doing it maybe we can get ideas of how we can do this better.
I'm taking the M1010 with a M101 pulled behind it. The 1010 has A/C for the back (doubt it'll be needed), diesel fired heater and sleeping space for 4 in a pinch. To make it a little more comfy I'll probably fix it so I can have a queen sized air mattress. Extras like fuel cans, camping equipment, cooler, etc can ride in the M101.

I have a tourist passport insurance and clean record. Ill probably get a insurance rider for Canada. same thing for the convoy. Drive, fuel up, repeat as necessary
My passport expires in 2012 so I'll probably need to start the renewal process. I had forgotten about the insurance thing and need to check in to that as well.

paulfarber

Just as a talking point, if any MVs are historically plated, will their insurance cover being 3000+ miles from home, in another country, being operated non-stop for 30 days?

My historical coverage is only for 'occasional' trips, not a daily driver... I would also think that being in another country would need to be looked at.

I would also think that having a large group buy of currency before the trip would be a money saver. Most CC's charge a conversion fee if used. You could set a date and watch the exchange rate to get the best exchange for a large lump of cash.

Stan Leschert

In case you have not checked the exchange rates, our currencies are sitting at par, and have been for a while now.

Yes, we do accept $USD, it spends just like ours.
The big difference, is that our money is color coded for the benefit of people who aren't used Canadian Beer!

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the thumbs up on the m37, game on! On the passport, I just a book called the Milepost and I thought it says you don't need a passport. You do need alot of Identity, passport being one option. I've got one other problem with a six week trip. I live on a farm and have animals, so I've got to hire a hand who can be trusted to feed and water.

m38mike

david, we look forward to having you join us! And bring your fishing gear. I'm bring my fly rods and planning on buying licenses for BC, YT, and AK. There's some great grayling fishing in the small streams up there, and with an inflatable raft I may try some lake fishing too, since we'll be spending at least one night on a lake shore.

I think there will be lots of combo rigs (HMV + camper trailer). Hotel rooms will be very few and far between on many of our stops so being able to camp comfortably will save money and save hassles.

I've got some questions in to Transport Canada to see how much fuel we can carry, and in what kinds of containers. I've heard from a Candadian friend that BC may limit us to five 5 gallon cans per rig. I wouldn't worry about carrying more than a pair of fuel cans for the small gas rigs at this point. The Planning Team will look at having fuel delivered to us on those days when we don't pass any fuel stations. Or we'll find a way to bring bulk fuel with us on the dry days. The big idea is that everyone should have enough fuel to drive 250 miles in one day. That is more miles than we will drive in any one day, but that gives you in-and-around mileage plus idle time. So if you can carry fuel (full tank and cans) for 250 miles, you'll be good for the whole trip.

You will need a Canadian Insurance Card from your insurance carrier. A quick check of a couple common companies tells me that they will issue you a card when you are in the quarter of coverage where you will be in Canada. All they need is 1-2 months advance notice and they will mail you the correct card. But they will not send you a card in February for a trip in August. I've got a note to call my insurance company at the end of June 2012. I'd recommend anyone talk with their carrier to see what they need from you to get you a card.

Plan on getting a passport. It's currently needed to return to the US/enter into AK for US citizens. A few states, like WA, have enhanced drivers licenses so you don't need the passport. My WA daughter has one so she can go visit her BC boyfriend without taking her passport. I believe Canadians also need a passport to enter the US (AK) and return. A quick look at the US or Canadian Customs web sites will let you know for sure.

If you are a good observer of financial markets and have very good timing, you may be able to buy a bunch of CA$$ for less. I'm thinking that I'll get one of those low-interest-for-6-months credit cards and use that for all my trip expenses. Then pay it off and cancel it before it goes to 19%. That will give me a record of all my costs during the trip on one card, and often the bank card exchange rate may be better than what a local merchant may charge if I buy with US$$. So when in Canada, buy with CA$$, or credit. Pretty much everyone along our route takes plastic, especially Visa or Mastercard.

[thumbzup] fat lady sings :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks