• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA 2012 Alaska Highway Convoy

CatMan

MVPA 2012 Alaska Convoy

As an alternative to buying a tow behind camper trailer, here is an example of a really well done M101 3/4 Ton Trailer made into a camper and it still looks military.

If you are handy and have a trailer - and there are plenty of M101's on GL lately, you could do well with a rig like this behind an M37 or CUCV.

I'm sorry I don't have the owners name but this was seen in Michigan last summer. Another Idea for making the trip on a smaller budget.

I have seen some really cleaver 1/4 ton trailers customized with slide out bunks over the sides and a "pop up top". I don't have a photo of one.

Cat Man

Attachments

CatMan

MVPA 2012 Alaska Convoy

Of course anyone that knows me knows this would have to be my all time ALCAN dream rig to drive on the anniversary convoy in 2012. Diesel Diamond T, Rodgers Bros low boy and a 1942 Cat D-7

Fuel cost - Who Cares! Slow road speeds - Who Cares! The "I just saw a ghost" look on the RV'ers faces - PRICELESS!

Cat Man

Attachments

m38mike

hey Cat Man, if you bring the dozer, do you suppose I could try a little reacreational bulldozing?? :beer: :lol: :lol:

pvtjorge, design a fold out deck on top of the trailer that would allow you to put a free-standing backpack tent on top of the deck. I've see a few of those and they seem to work well. Keeps you up out of the mud and guarantees a flat surface for your tent. Then to travel, fold it up, drop the tent inside the trailer, and cover it all with a canvas tarp and no-one else will know what you have there.

pilot

Fuel

On our 35 ft. moving trucks that I roundtrip North Dakota to Alaska I have installed frame mounted gravity feed 60 to 70 gallon bus tanks to increase my range. When I worked in North Dakota/Montana oilfields and wanted to go nonstop from western Montana to NODAK with my V8 CJ5 I had a M100 trailer with a fuel tank mounted underneath, electric pump and a boat motor fuel plug-in so I could refuel as I was driving. One of my driving trips in Alaska was with one of our M543A2 wreckers so I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday about ALCAN trips. I am planning another roundtrip this spring, hopefully to haul most of my aircraft and truck stuff back to NODAK. I also used to deliver aircraft between AK and the lower 48 so got to see a lot of incredible northern scenery and would encourage anyone to make the trip driving or flying. If anyone wants to contact me about what I think I know feel free to phone me I am a slow typist and do not do a lot of email.

Greg Blanchfield 701-393-4384 Devils Lake, North Dakota gcb@gondtc.com NDMVCA.com

oldMan99

hey Cat Man, if you bring the dozer, do you suppose I could try a little reacreational bulldozing?? :beer: :lol: :lol:
I bet he could unload that thing, rent it out by the hour to all the grown up's with construction worker fantasies and pay for his trip!

If he does, and if I get to go, I know I'll be in line for my turn!

davidkroberts

we were just talking about using a M101 just like that camper setup but i was still leaning toward a small travel trailer. A warm soft bed is great but a warm soft bed, stove, heater, fridge, and bathroom is even better

oldMan99

we were just talking about using a M101 just like that camper setup but i was still leaning toward a small travel trailer. A warm soft bed is great but a warm soft bed, stove, heater, fridge, and bathroom is even better
And a shower tops all of that! :)

A few weeks ago somebody posted some pictures of a really nice unit they built from a 101 or 105 trailer. They removed the running gear from a pop-up camper and mounted it on top of the trailer. It looked really nice. I'll see if I can find the thread and I'll post a link.

Edited to add: Found the link. About 1/2 way down the page, posted by UnckeMike. He posted more pictures on the next page also.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/61529-mv-rv-camper-conversion-pics-info-2.html

Last edited:

dionmtn

On the passport thing. We run trucks up to Canada all the time, each truck driver has to have his own passport. Has been that way for a couple of years now.

Does anyone know for sure about the firearms? I mean really, not just I think it's this way?

pilot

firearms

Canadian Firearms Centre 1-800-732-4000 or 506-624-5380 or their website www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca. should answer everyone's gun questions. I used to carry a folding stock 12 ga. in the aircraft and trucks but sometimes the b.s. at customs was not worth it. I am a NRA life member and holder of Canadian firearms license so I am definitely pro-gun but have not been taking a gun with me on my ALCAN trips to minimize the border crossing hassles, real or imagined.

Greg

CatMan

MVPA 2012 Alaska Convoy

Well Boys and Girls, The convoy is going to be a great trip. But the gun debate IS OVER! Many of us own firearms and like to travel with one or two. But the convoy managment team has already made the decision for the group for this trip.

To avoid any potential issues that could delay or disrupt the event at any border, regardless of local, state, province or national gun laws, the convoy law for this group on this trip is "NO FIREARMS".

It just makes it easy for everyone. No reason to discuss gun issues in this thread. It's been revisited enough. Let's get on with getting our vehicles ready!

We want everyone to enjoy the convoy. Not packing heat should not be a show stopper. Thanks for understanding. I know it's a tough issue for many of us.

Cat Man
Convoy XO

Stalwart

It's comforting to hear that an agreement has been reached with all dangerous animals that they will take the day off when the convoy stops/camps in any remote locations! [thumbzup]

m38mike

Yeah, just sprinkle a little pepper on your clothes while you're there. The bears have been sprayed so many times with bear spray, that even smelling a hint of pepper and they'll turn tail and run! :jumpin: And if you find the one that hasn't been sprayed yet, ... well ..., you'll taste better to him! :twisted:

I'd worry about carrying rocks in your pockets so the mosquitoes can't carry you away! :roll:

m38mike

I did a little looking for fuel prices up in Canada. I found what I was looking for. And got a bit of a surprise. The Yukon Territorial Government does weekly surveys for fuel prices. Here's the web site. Yukon Retail Fuel Prices - Energy, Mines, and Resources - Government of Yukon This will give you the price in Canadian $$ per Liter. I did the conversion to US $$ per US gallons. Ouch! Fuel up there is currently selling for $4.85 for unleaded and $5.26 for diesel. Guess we don't need to wait for $5 fuel, we just need to travel to the Yukon.

Stan Leschert

If the Convoy will come near Vancouver, B.C., I will try to assist you, as I am able, from my side of the border. Feel free to PM me with local questions, and I'll try to do what I can.

Once the convoy route and timing are promulgated, we will have a much better idea as to what might be required.

Until then....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks