• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA 2012 Alaska Highway Convoy

davidkroberts

i like the road flare idea.... i think im going to start keeping alot more in my trucks for bunches of reasons.... thanks

Im planning on going and bringing a m1009 pulling a popup camper. My buddy is most likely going in a 1031 pulling a m101 trailer that maybe converted into a camper.... if he goes hes kinda flighty right now.

Ill have my medium towbar with both medium and small feet just in case. I have other trucks but the parts availability and fuel economy of the 6.2 L diesel is why im taking it. Im going to be bringing a spare altenator and a few belts but im not expecting too many problems. I will have my tools with me for sure.

CatMan

MVPA 2012 Alaska Convoy

Here is a little update on the convoy plans. We now have over 55 vehicles registered and paid. The convoy recon team has been driving the route for the past ten days. Checking on road conditions, finding stopping places to part 75 vehicles. Places to stay and places to eat. The scenery is fantastic. Met with officals in Dawson Creek. They will give us a big send off. The north route is 230 miles of gravel. We nearly shook the dishes out of the cabinets in the motor home, but made it with no flat tires.

Follow our reports on Facebook at MVPA 2012 Alaska Highway Convoy. Join the group.

Gas is not too bad. $4.15 / Gal in Alaska and about $5.50 US / Gal in Canada.
Also remember that you will be driving at 30 MPH and that saves lots of fuel over the usual consumption at 60 MPH. THINK LOW SPEED.

We have seen bears, moose, buffalo, mountain sheep, carabou and many others along the roads.

Don't miss out on this adventure.

From Willow AK,

Cat Man - Convoy XO, Out

Attachments

Stan Leschert

Update on guns.

The answer is NONE!
Not in the Obama state of Canada!

I`ve been carrying one up here for the last 25 years (on duty) and the regs have gotten so stupid, even for us, that it is too expensive for even Bill Gates to ensure his own personal security.

Have them drop shipped to to USA point of entry, carry (in Alaska), and then ship back home.

Hork, its gotten to the point where even a retired CF Officer is looking to fly South! And stay!

m38mike

Stan,
That's good advice for a personal vacation, but the convoy leaders and MVPA have already made that decision for us for the convoy, for both Canada and Alaska: No Guns. Period.

There are other options, like road flares, for keeping the space between you and the critters.

:deadhorse:

On a personal note, I'm sad to hear that the regs have gotten so bad in Canada that even the "official forces" are finding it difficult to be able to carry. Like the bumper sticker says, "when you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns". I think that's a wrong answer for a free society.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update on guns.

The answer is NONE!
Not in the Obama state of Canada!

I`ve been carrying one up here for the last 25 years (on duty) and the regs have gotten so stupid, even for us, that it is too expensive for even Bill Gates to ensure his own personal security.

Have them drop shipped to to USA point of entry, carry (in Alaska), and then ship back home.

Hork, its gotten to the point where even a retired CF Officer is looking to fly South! And stay!
I just legally transported two restricted firearms and several thousand rounds of ammo through Canada with zero issues. The officer at the Beaver (ALCAN) border crossing was very courteous and professional. I also had to make a last minute change to my authorization to transport (ATT) before leaving AK and the officer I spoke with on the phone was great too. They processed my forms quickly and the process wasn't terribly difficult. I expected to have considerable issues, but all involved made it pretty easy. Just do your research and call the RCMP firearms center if you have questions.

I'm guessing the trouble with transporting for the MVPA convoy would come from the amount of time that you'd take transiting Canada with firearms. I asked for 4 days on my ATT and though they granted it, they told me that was the high end for granting an ATT. IF you asked for 20 days or so to transport a restricted firearm they would probably not grant it. Just my opinion though. I say call and see. If you transport a non-restricted firearm you'd probably be gtg. Just declare it and transport it IAW Canadian law. Of course if you are IAW Canadian law don't plan on using said firearm for self defense :( Kind of defeats the purpose in my mind.

I ended up shipping firearms to myself using UPS as well. Some of my firearms were on the Canadian prohibited list.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just found out they have shut the door on this without warning. If you haven't signed up by last Saturday you and I are SOL!aua

TIGERFANS2

Just found out they have shut the door on this without warning. If you haven't signed up by last Saturday you and I are SOL!aua
What, they closed the ALCAN? Are you sure? If you need directions I think we've got some 70's era Mileposts that can't be too much out of date :beer:

Longhunter7

Big Convoy!

The main problem with a convoy to Alaska, is that there aren't too many places that can handle a lot of vehicles at a time.

There had to be a reasonable cut off number to make it work.

CatMan

Alaska Convoy is full

Here is more information from the Facebook page about why we had to close the AC12 Convoy registrations.

The Convoy planning team didn't anticipate a maximium size group. After we completed the RECON of the highway and route conditions, road turn out sizes and available fuel stops, camping and lodging facilities in May and June, it then became... clear that we would have to limit the group size. We posted on a number of sites encouraging people to complete the sign-up process as we saw the group size quickly reaching maximium. Everyone had a year of repeated postings and articles in the magazines to get signed up early before the bucket overflowed. Its simply the logistics of the situation. Sorry that there are some that didn't speak up, sign up and pay-up sooner. There just isn't enough room on the Alaska highway for any more vehicles in a group.

We expect when we get the final registrations counted following the MVPA convention the number of HMV's will likely be close to 100! Plus the chase vehicles.

Cat Man aka Jeff R convoy XO

CatMan

Alaska Convoy is full

Here is the convoy commanders notice that was pasted on Facebook

The response to this AC'12 Convoy project has been outstanding! We have about 80-85 MVs and their teams registered and paid! Add to this number the chase vehicles and ... well ... you can guess the length of our column.

To this end I am formally announcing that registration for this Convoy IS CLOSED as of today. I have issued a note to the short list of pre-registered folks to ask them to finalize... their registrations - if they intend to do so. There will NOT be a waiting list.

Thanks so much to all folks that have registered. A special thanks to the members of the AC'12 Core team for their great work so far and as we drive towards 4 Aug'12.

I look forward to seeing the entire AC'12 team in Dawson Creek.

From Terry Shelswell, Convoy Commander

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I already got that time off from work as of last week, where I work in public service we have to put in for the next years vacation in July and it get approved or not in Aug. I am thinking on just leaving a day earlier than the convoy driving highway speed and knocking a week off the trip.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already got that time off from work as of last week, where I work in public service we have to put in for the next years vacation in July and it get approved or not in Aug. I am thinking on just leaving a day earlier than the convoy driving highway speed and knocking a week off the trip.

Now that is a good idea!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just see this project as a RICH mans event, that the normal Mver could not afford what this is going to cost or can cost, I see a easy $10,000, taking off work, getting to the stating point, and back, the trip it self and back to the starting point, break downs, ect., A jeep may be a bit cheaper but not much. This is one of the reasons that I dropped the MVPA, " RICH MANS CLUB" felling as compared to SS that is a club for everybody.
This event is different then the cross country convoy where a person could drop in on the convoy, stay with it as long as thay wanted or could afford, then drop out and go home, the cross country type of event was more for the everyday MVer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks