• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MWM diesel?

fuzzpuss

Has anyone bought any of the MWM 2.8 liter diesel engines from GP? The engine fits the M1161 air transportable Growler from the Marines. I bought one about 2 months ago. It looked new, still in the crate wrapped in plastic and such. Well I am having quite the time finding the parts for this engine and am wondering if anyone else has a lead as to where to go to get parts for this thing. I went directly to Growler manufacturing directly, both a phone call and email... NO RESPONSE. I went to a Navistar dealer and the had never heard of MWM, funny cuz Navistar bought MWM back in 2006. Anyways I finally contacted MWM Brazil and they directed me to to the only authorized MWM dealer in North America out in Ohio called Hercules manufacturing. I need a starter and a flywheel and a computer, I was quoted a price for a stater of 617 bucks and that does not include shipping from Brazil. The flywheel is 428 bucks and also does not include shipping from Brazil. Unable to get a computer. I know that the flexplate fits a 4L60 transmission but would a turbo 350 bell housing have the same bolt pattern. Any help would be nice!

fuzzpuss

Oh man.... well I hope I can at least find parts for the engine within reason. Thanks for the heads up ur right that guy IS A TURD!!!!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody needs to be in JAIL. Actually, a BUNCH of people need to be in jail for this. This "Colonel" needs to lose his pension as a minimum. Heck, you might as well have gone with a beefed up M-151A2, with what that Growler piece of crap was.

m1161

Oooops, I got a warning for sending you the ebay listing. Can't send active auction listings.

Well, it's the guy who has the transmission controller listed. I'm deep into trying to find manuals
and from them there could be cross listings for parts...depends on what manuals, if any, I can locate.
FWIW, I Googled 2330-01-531-2701 and that is the NSN, National Stock Number. Tons of info just
from that search.
Larry

m1161

A NJ story; I received the title or SF 97 last Saturday. Monday, NJMV issued a new title, plates and got insurance. It's on the
road and performing nicely. The insurance is based upon it being a collector vehicle which expects limited mileage to be attained.
The addl' cost for insurance was $24 ! Probably good idea to use ear protection.

m1161

Finally got my M1161 to my friend's local service facility. Tracking down the oil filter
took time and will have to find one now that we know the model. They normally do large trucks.
They wondered why it was so easy to register as it's a diesel without computer control.
So, apparently, there is no computer. There is a transmission computer "box" just above
the passenger's feet. Still no manuals located and learning the systems ain't easy.

fuzzpuss

I finally got the starter and flywheel from Brazil.... My bad I needed a flexplate and starter . I went to a Brazillian website for 4x4ers and did google translate and from what I read these are great engines that are getting upwards of 3 and 4 hundred thousand miles before needing major work. I know that the transmission in the growler is the 4L60E. I am needing the flexplate now!

m1161

I finally got the starter and flywheel from Brazil.... My bad I needed a flexplate and starter . I went to a Brazillian website for 4x4ers and did google translate and from what I read these are great engines that are getting upwards of 3 and 4 hundred thousand miles before needing major work. I know that the transmission in the growler is the 4L60E. I am needing the flexplate now!
Congratulations on your accomplishments. Could you give me a lead on how to get that starter? I'm searching for months now trying to buy one and hitting one stone wall after another. I even managed to get the MWM part number ( 9.0572.01.0.0097) but nobody has been able to cross reference it! Any info on that starter would be appreciated.

My second M1161 was purchased for parts but turns out not to have not been used at all! The starter had been damaged by a stuck relay that kept the start pulse on the solenoid due to welded contacts in the slave relay!! No wear on any of the pedals or other parts! But finding that starter has been, as you know, a hassle.

Thanks,
Larry

m1161

Congratulations on your accomplishments. Could you give me a lead on how to get that starter? I'm searching for months now trying to buy one and hitting one stone wall after another. I even managed to get the MWM part number ( 9.0572.01.0.0097) but nobody has been able to cross reference it! Any info on that starter would be appreciated.

My second M1161 was purchased for parts but turns out not to have not been used at all! The starter had been damaged by a stuck relay that kept the start pulse on the solenoid due to welded contacts in the slave relay!! No wear on any of the pedals or other parts! But finding that starter has been, as you know, a hassle.

Thanks,
Larry

fuzzpuss

Thanks,
Larry
OK but your not going to like it... I contacted a company in Ohio called Hercules manufacturing... turns out that they are the only ones who import for MWM Brazil in the entire U.S. Don't expect anything but heartache while contacting these folks. The owner was who I had contact with the whole time and the guy acts like you are an inconvenience and not a customer I was directed to the owner from the other employees at Hercules BTW. I did get my parts, but only after I sent an email to MWM Brazil after months of basically getting the run around from owner of Hercules and they got all over his ass about it. If I could have gotten the parts directly from MWM I would have. I would text the guy directly and 3 weeks later text him again just to keep on him, and 99% of the time he wouldn't even be courteous enough to give a quick reply back on the status of the order. I hate to recommend these guys but unless someone can cross reference the numbers to a generic starter from autozone or something your screwed. I will open the crate and pull out the starter and get the starter part # for you here in a little bit... hour away. Even though Navistar owns MWM I went to a Navistar (International) dealer in Vegas and the guy working there claimed to have worked there for 26 years and knew nothing of MWM or that Navistar owned them, he even aked the main guy there and he knew nothing of the merger or of MWM, that and they acted like pompous asses anyway.

SO... The growler and its parts system sucks! I played stupid and texted the owner back a couple of weeks ago and said I had a friend who needed a flexplate... he claimed he checked with MWM and the don't make a flywheel... I asked about a flexplate and he tells me they don't make a flywheel... I ALREADY HAVE A FLYWHEEL, I need a flexplate so I doubt the guy ever checked with MWM he just said that so I wouldn't both him anymore.

fuzzpuss

So I have decided to go with the manual transmission and use the flywheel that I got. I am going to use the SM420 and a DANA 300... I saw a jeep site that was saying the NP205 was too wide for the frame rails. I have a 1988 Mitsubishi Montero that the MWM is going in and it is just slightly bigger than a samurai so I need all the room I can get. I know the automatic trans is the 4L60E or 4L80E that bolts to MWM, so any help with finding a bellhousing that fits that pattern and that of the SM420 would be a tremendous help!

m1161

So I have decided to go with the manual transmission and use the flywheel that I got. I am going to use the SM420 and a DANA 300... I saw a jeep site that was saying the NP205 was too wide for the frame rails. I have a 1988 Mitsubishi Montero that the MWM is going in and it is just slightly bigger than a samurai so I need all the room I can get. I know the automatic trans is the 4L60E or 4L80E that bolts to MWM, so any help with finding a bellhousing that fits that pattern and that of the SM420 would be a tremendous help!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, great. I see you have the 12V version of the starter. When you open the box, could you send me the number on the starter...I think it's on a pasted label. I have folks in Germany and Georgia, starter sellers, trying to locate this starter. They need a number and they are sure they can get the unit. Just a change to 24V is the difference.

The manuals: I got them from the Ukraine. He sent it to me on the internet. Once I downloaded it, he took down the URL. My son, the nerd, copied it to a CD and I will mail that to you as soon as he copies it. It is in 3 languages, english too :>) All the parts, trouble shooting, and spacing criteria...3 complete manuals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks