• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MWM diesel?

killjoy35

Oooops, I got a warning for sending you the ebay listing. Can't send active auction listings.

Well, it's the guy who has the transmission controller listed. I'm deep into trying to find manuals
and from them there could be cross listings for parts...depends on what manuals, if any, I can locate.
FWIW, I Googled 2330-01-531-2701 and that is the NSN, National Stock Number. Tons of info just
from that search.
Larry
Larry
Finally got my M1161 to my friend's local service facility. Tracking down the oil filter
took time and will have to find one now that we know the model. They normally do large trucks.
They wondered why it was so easy to register as it's a diesel without computer control.
So, apparently, there is no computer. There is a transmission computer "box" just above
the passenger's feet. Still no manuals located and learning the systems ain't easy.
Hercules Manufacturing in Ohio. Doug Brinkley is the president, I called and he ordered all the needed parts for the MWM 2.8. It wasn't fast, but he let me know that up front.

Hope this helps

KY35
OK but your not going to like it... I contacted a company in Ohio called Hercules manufacturing... turns out that they are the only ones who import for MWM Brazil in the entire U.S. Don't expect anything but heartache while contacting these folks. The owner was who I had contact with the whole time and the guy acts like you are an inconvenience and not a customer I was directed to the owner from the other employees at Hercules BTW. I did get my parts, but only after I sent an email to MWM Brazil after months of basically getting the run around from owner of Hercules and they got all over his ass about it. If I could have gotten the parts directly from MWM I would have. I would text the guy directly and 3 weeks later text him again just to keep on him, and 99% of the time he wouldn't even be courteous enough to give a quick reply back on the status of the order. I hate to recommend these guys but unless someone can cross reference the numbers to a generic starter from autozone or something your screwed. I will open the crate and pull out the starter and get the starter part # for you here in a little bit... hour away. Even though Navistar owns MWM I went to a Navistar (International) dealer in Vegas and the guy working there claimed to have worked there for 26 years and knew nothing of MWM or that Navistar owned them, he even aked the main guy there and he knew nothing of the merger or of MWM, that and they acted like pompous asses anyway.

SO... The growler and its parts system sucks! I played stupid and texted the owner back a couple of weeks ago and said I had a friend who needed a flexplate... he claimed he checked with MWM and the don't make a flywheel... I asked about a flexplate and he tells me they don't make a flywheel... I ALREADY HAVE A FLYWHEEL, I need a flexplate so I doubt the guy ever checked with MWM he just said that so I wouldn't both him anymore.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Hercules. I had the opposite. Doug,wasupfront and told me it would be a while, but if I was willing to wait the parts would be delivered. It took 8 weeks, but MWM was not helpful, and I figured I'd had no choice also.

KY35

jmpogue89

I forgot to mention, I have all the manuals on the M1161 diesel engine. If you'd like a DVD copy, let me know and I'll send you one.
larry
Hi Larry. If that offer is open for the CD i would like one. I am new to this site and don’t know if there is direct messaging

m1161

Sure, I'll have my son burn one for you. my e-mail is growler@wrnj.com drop me an address. There are 3 manuals on the CD. The last is total engine parts but in Portugese....not a problem however.

Too all Growler peoples,
I have loaded the diesel engine's manuals for you to download at
www.542Ocean.com there's a whole series from trouble shooting to
a parts breakdown. Hope it helps.

fuzzpuss

So the starter I got from Hercules was not for this engine... It doesn't fit and is too long, the snout doesn't fit the plate for the mounting...so I'm back to square one... anyone want to buy a crated MWM with a flywheel $3500 you pick up unless u want me to haul it to you.

fuzzpuss

Larry

Hercules Manufacturing in Ohio. Doug Brinkley is the president, I called and he ordered all the needed parts for the MWM 2.8. It wasn't fast, but he let me know that up front.

Hope this helps

KY35

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Hercules. I had the opposite. Doug,wasupfront and told me it would be a while, but if I was willing to wait the parts would be delivered. It took 8 weeks, but MWM was not helpful, and I figured I'd had no choice also.

KY35
Yeah and I have no idea why the guy was like that...never met him in person or acted any particular way with him just nice as could be and got nothing but excuses and such...too bad I was really hoping to get this thing installed but forget it now I will sell it and put in a cummins 2.8 now

W427

So the starter I got from Hercules was not for this engine... It doesn't fit and is too long, the snout doesn't fit the plate for the mounting..
If it helps, there is more info on the starter here. The starter appears to be relatively inexpensive and easy, but it's the nose adapter that you need to make it work.

fuzzpuss

If it helps, there is more info on the starter here. The starter appears to be relatively inexpensive and easy, but it's the nose adapter that you need to make it work.
I would say that it won't work because the starter has only 2 mounting holes but mine requires 3 thank you for the help though

Attachments

m1161

So the starter I got from Hercules was not for this engine... It doesn't fit and is too long, the snout doesn't fit the plate for the mounting...so I'm back to square one... anyone want to buy a crated MWM with a flywheel $3500 you pick up unless u want me to haul it to you.
I too ordered a starter, not cheap, and it was in no way a match for the M1161's MWM engine! I managed to fix my original starter by finding the solenoid replacement on the eBay place., $29!! The nose of the "correct" starter is 3 inches diameter and too long. It requires two adapter plates to restrict the insertion distance into the plate. I understand the 1161's gearbox on that starter was made by Perkins...not verified. All the possible Denso starters I came across had 3.5 inch diameter noses.

fuzzpuss

I too ordered a starter, not cheap, and it was in no way a match for the M1161's MWM engine! I managed to fix my original starter by finding the solenoid replacement on the eBay place., $29!! The nose of the "correct" starter is 3 inches diameter and too long. It requires two adapter plates to restrict the insertion distance into the plate. I understand the 1161's gearbox on that starter was made by Perkins...not verified. All the possible Denso starters I came across had 3.5 inch diameter noses.
The starter you have doesn't have any markings on it? a ton of pictures with tape measure for comparison would be great here! Also, where did you order your starter from?

W427

I would say that it won't work because the starter has only 2 mounting holes but mine requires 3 thank you for the help though
That is correct, and that is what the adapter is for. See the other linked thread for the service supplement on the starter and the new image of the adapter. Denso starter + adapter = ITV starter assembly. (y)

m1161

That is correct, and that is what the adapter is for. See the other linked thread for the service supplement on the starter and the new image of the adapter. Denso starter + adapter = ITV starter assembly. (y)
Too, the "new" starter that doesn't fit has a 9 tooth gear. The flywheel requires 13 teeth on the starter pinion gear.

m1161

The starter you have doesn't have any markings on it? a ton of pictures with tape measure for comparison would be great here! Also, where did you order your starter from?
I'll be back to you with pix in a few days unless you want to give me an e-address to send directly. I don't do well with attaching pix on this complicated Steel site. I like GrowlerForum.com , less complicated.
This starter has no gearbox and is small...Type # M002T8871ZA, No. 77 28, and this 90572010009504
I bought it from Hercules in OH. Took about 8 weeks to arrive.

m1161

I'll be back to you with pix in a few days unless you want to give me an e-address to send directly. I don't do well with attaching pix on this complicated Steel site. I like GrowlerForum.com , less complicated.
This starter has no gearbox and is small...Type # M002T8871ZA, No. 77 28, and this 90572010009504
I bought it from Hercules in OH. Took about 8 weeks to arrive.

Attachments

W427

Too, the "new" starter that doesn't fit has a 9 tooth gear. The flywheel requires 13 teeth on the starter pinion gear.
Agreed, and what I described is specifically for the ITV engine/trans/flexplate/ring gear/adapter combination.

@fuzzpuss: In configuring starters, the adapter (if necessary), drive gear number of teeth, diameter and length are affected by factors such as the flexplate used, ring gear diameter, number of teeth (pitch), depth of ring gear, block plate (relative starter position) and starter radial offset. If any one of those factors change, the combination changes and different parts are needed. The Bosch/MWM direct-drive S-10/Xterra 12V starter can work, but only with the specific combination of factors found in those specific vehicles. Not the ITV version. Change something and it doesn't work. This is a common issue in custom cars, engine and trans swaps. A good starter vendor can help guide selection of a functional unit for unique combinations, such as the ITV (which is effectively "custom") or whatever you're doing. I hope that helps, and best of luck!

9-tooth starter drive (Bendix) used on certain MWM 2.8L-powered GM and Nissan combinations:
Bosch_9d_MWM-GM-Nissan.png

Last edited:

m1161

Agreed, and what I described is specifically for the ITV engine/trans/flexplate/ring gear/adapter combination.

@fuzzpuss: In configuring starters, the adapter (if necessary), drive gear number of teeth, diameter and length are affected by factors such as the flexplate used, ring gear diameter, number of teeth (pitch), depth of ring gear, block plate (relative starter position) and starter radial offset. If any one of those factors change, the combination changes and different parts are needed. The Mitsu/MWM direct-drive S-10/Xterra 12V starter can work, but only with a specific combination of factors. Change something and it doesn't work. This is a common issue in custom cars, engine and trans swaps. A good starter vendor can help guide selection of a functional unit for unique combinations, such as the ITV or whatever you're doing. I hope that helps, and best of luck!

9-tooth starter drive (Bendix) used on certain MWM 2.8L-powered GM and Nissan combinations:
View attachment 795550
Just to be clear to anyone following this thread, the starter I ordered from MWM was a complete lo$$. It wasn't compatible with my MWM diesel in the M1161. Since it was only my solenoid failure, I found an exact replacement solenoid (24V) on eBay. Simply slipped the replacement on the original starter and was off and running. The new starter sits on the shelf. Wish I'd found that eBay solenoid sooner.

saddamsnightmare

Good luck bud, the Growler manufacturer raped the government with that contract as in all around dickhead. Check out the story about it:
From what I can see, the government raped themselves by requiring a vehicle to be specially built. I am sure that there are other machines already on the road that could meet the need. BUT remember the $300.00 hammer and the $600.00 toilet seat...? Military procurement at its best.
Have a Great Morning!

W427

After researching the hell out of these and owning them, and although it's off-topic for the MWM Engine subject title, I'll only respond by saying that much of the info thrown around is "questionable", to put it politely. So, take it all with a grain of salt. Some claims are true, some not, and dickheads don't phase me as I work with some regularly. The ITV program was a planned 10-year experiment that was successful in it's goals. That doesn't mean the vehicle was best for the job (they were not under any delusions it would be), but rather what they learned about internally-transported battlefield vehicles and logistics. That was the goal, and it delivered answers. I have other darker thoughts about the M327 mortar system the PM designs centered around, but that's a different topic.

And, no, nothing was out there with the combination of features they already knew they wanted for the experiment, such as 4-wheel steering and "collapsing" suspension and ROPS. It may have sucked at being a super-ATV, but succeeded in the research goals, and the vehicle is actually designed rather well from a custom-engineering standpoint. Factory assembly and USMC maintenance was poor in some regards. Fortunately for us new owners, what didn't work well in an MV-22 Osprey, a minefield, or Congressional committees doesn't matter to us, and what's left is rather cool. Except for limited engine parts availability I'm not even sad about the MWM engine (the thread subject), as the 2.8L TDA was used by VAG/VW, GM, Nissan, Ford and others, by a company that holds nearly 1/3 of the world market with a great reputation — just not familiar to us Americans. I won't claim anything it isn't, and others shouldn't claim things it's not. Sound fair?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks