• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 003 is down

Harleyd315

I had an 003 running for about 14 hours when it just quit. The engine cranks, but almost sounds like no compression, no smoke out the ex pipes either. Pulled the valve covers spun the motor, valves on the fist 2 cylinders just barely move, 3 + 4 dont move at all. Intake pushrod on #1 cylinder bent. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bent pushrod doesn't sound good. Since you were turning it by hand, did it feel like it was building any compression? If so, try to adjust the valves and give it a go.

dependable

The only time I bent push rods when engine was running was when I tried to burn though some very old fuel in a utility tractor. The varnish gummed up the valve guides. I got away with freeing up valve stems and replacing push rods. Were you using good diesel? Any chance it was over heating? Good luck.

Keith_J

The engine is interference, if the cam stops moving but the crank moves, there is a good chance a piston will hit an open valve. This bends pushrods.

storeman

Chris,
I have push rods, valves, heads and complete engines. Have not taken any down to the camshaft. Have scrapped the blocks at that point. Will help however I can. 804-725-4055
Jerry

dependable

If the cam broke, and it is an interference engine, I would consider re powering the genset. Who knows what else is wrong. There are a bunch of MEP-003 engines around, including at least 2 sellers with new or rebuilt in SS classified. Realize this doesn't help if you power is down.

Harleyd315

Thanks for the help guys!!!!! Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. I kinda think maybe the cam is broken, no time to check it now. I have been busy moving 005"s around for the FD in our town. First the people shelter, then over to the animal shelter and now to a gas station that the PD has comandeared to fill up police and emergency vehicles. We are screwed power company says 5 to 7 days to get the grid back up. Refineries won't deliver any fuel oil and the whole town is on back up generators for water and sewer, using 90 gals per hour. I have my 005 keeping my house and shop working. And to top it all off I have 2 003 engines sitting in Mechanicsburg,PA waiting for me to pick up. I am truelly blessed though, I'm still breathing and looking at the green side of the grass!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again and be safe out there!! Will keep you posted!!!

Keith_J

Sounds like you have the right attitude. I'm still waiting on word from my cousin and aunt in New Egypt, just north of JB McGuire-Dix. Last word was the lake level was rising (Oakford).

Phone rings through but no answer.

Harleyd315

Finally got around to pulling the broken engine apart. It appears as if the oil pump shaft let loose and the loose gear broke the crank gear. The unit ran fine for about 14 hours during the storm and the just quit. Is this common or just an isolated incident? 2013-03-25_09-47-19_875.jpg2013-03-25_09-52-11_177.jpg2013-03-25_09-42-51_413.jpg2013-03-25_09-42-00_140.jpg2013-03-25_09-47-08_7.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks