• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1008 and its problems

cheiser666

History of truck,
- received the truck and was told it was good to go, just needs a starter.
- noticed it did not have any alternators.

Start of work.
- I realized the purple wire at the starter was cut and connected to a long lead (im guessing to test the starter)
- Installed new starter and could not get any power to the purple wire at the starter. I traced it and had power all the way to the firewall but not into the engine bay. I ended up splicing the other purple wire that goes to the fuel filter. I put the splice 6 inches before the anode/cathode.
- I can not get power to any of my lights. I started by replacing fuses and noticed that my 10amp brake and 30 amp lights fuse holder was missing the left side of the fuse holder. I pulled the fuse block loose and cannot find the other wires. I am probably going to do some more searching when i get time.

Question - Which side of the fuse should have power if i am looking into the block? are the colors of the wires the same on both sides of the fuse? I did find a cut red wire heading up into the dash (no power to this wire).

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any chance to go back to the previous owner to question him/her about the discrepancies?

Iceman3005

When I hear "it is good to go just need X" (put broken part here), I can figure that there is more wrong then just "X". Hope it was a good deal, sounds like a mess.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the same truck you were going to scrap, in the thread started around Dec 2nd?

It would be alot easier for everyone to follow one thread that has all the details of the condition of this truck. Most members are not going to go look at all the threads posted by you, yo find the "back story" . food for thought.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That should work alright.

southdave

1st on hook buss feed to batteries
Hook Batt. up run jumper wire to the S term on starter (24 volts), should get the starter to spin..
install 2 jumper on the front battery run 1 them to top injectinon pump.
the other jumper install momentary switch in line feed the GP block on the fire wall
This how I got running once.. read the TM s alot it will all gell after about 80hrs of reading
as for the lights check the black out ltging thingy

cheiser666

Can someone tell me where power originates for the headlights? I am going to run a fused power wire to bypass the busted fuse block.

Does power begin at the service light switch?

cheiser666

There is really only the 2 wires that are missing, i dont think i need the whole block. The wiring diagrams for lights do not show the origin of power. they show a wire going to the back and a wire going to the front lights.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone tell me where power originates for the headlights? I am going to run a fused power wire to bypass the busted fuse block.

Does power begin at the service light switch?
The diagrams are not very clear on this circuit. I have visually traced them and verified the path.

1. Power comes from the 12v Terminal block on the firewall and goes to the left side of the headlight fuse socket.
2. Across the fuse
3. On the right side of the fuse there is a metal jumper going to the right side of the STOP light fuse (so the head light fuse feeds the stop light circuit)
4. from the right side of the Stop light fuse the ORANGE wire feeds the Blackout Service Switch.
5. From the BO Switch it feeds the Headlight switch
6. Also attached to the feed for the headlight switch is a feed wire for two more circuits Fuse #16 - Courtesy Lamps and Fuse #14 - 30 amp Flasher, Back-up and Accessories

So the SINGLE 30 amp fuse for the headlights feeds many other circuits. People wonder why the fuse and the fusebox melts.

Attachments

Last edited:

cheiser666

Got the truck running today. Got the running lights working, still no headlights. I think its the High/Low switch which i will replace tomorrow.

Truck cranked really slow until i jumped it with a deuce. Started right up.

My Gen1 Light does not come on but my gen 2 does come on. Any ideas? Does it matter that i have 2 isolated ground alts?

Ran the truck for an hour, started fine. Took deuce back, cranked slow again and no start. wtf! I will use voltmeter and see what the charging is.

Glow plugs seemed to work fine even though the previous owner used starting fluid on it.

Other thing- When it was running the crank pulley seemed very wobbly. I try to move wiggle the balancer but no luck. Any ideas?

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would replace the balancer befor even thinking of starting the engine again.

Do not use starter fluid.

It is ok to have both isolated ground generators as long as you use a strap to ground the
the forward battery gen.