• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1008 and its problems

cheiser666

Fried my new starter yesterday. Truck was running for 5 min and couldnt hear the starter wizzing away. Hopefully just the solenoid.

I must have a bad ground because it was cranking slow causing hi amps low volts to starter.

cheiser666

I dont beleive it was the starter relay, i think it was due to lack of volts or a bad ground. I did do the doghead though.
Balancer is on order! (not into rebuilding motors)

cheiser666

Got the truck running in tip top shape, All i needed was new batteries. The batteries I got were no good and autozone replaced them and the truck started right up. Glow plugs work, headlights, interior lights, heater. good to go. Just need to clean up some wiring and work on the steering column.

bshupe

Im not sure Im following you with bad batteries and/or low voltage was causing the starter to continue turning post ignition? At the least, low voltage can cause a mechanical relay to not latch properly which in turn causes arcing which causes pitting which when unattended to will cause the contacts to weld shut creating the condition you have described.

You mention not liking to rebuild engines..... you might want to look a little deeper into the problem you had and not just rest on the fact that the truck is running well now with new batteries.

My 2cents or perhaps less.

cheiser666

bshupe- what happened was not enough amperage to turn the starter fast enough. Therefore the solenoid welded its contacts until it was 1 piece. there was a large load on the starter and not enough amperage. I think its something like low amperage and high voltage causes alot of heat. I might have that backwards.

bshupe

I think voltage closes the contacts and amps turn the motor but now Im guessing too. Time is the other factor here. Even a small amount of amps for a long time will burn/weld the contacts closed. They are pretty soft metal actually so it doesnt take much to get some pitting started and one there is some pitting the arcing gets worse and worse.

cheiser666

So my gen 1 light is on. I checked voltage at gen 1 and i am at 11. I guess that my brand new alternator is bad, wtf. I guess I can rebuild it. Anyone know why a 2 week old alternator would not charge? It is an isolated ground alternator.