• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1028

forest522

Both those rides look great! I like the height on the 1028. The re-arching of the springs on the 1009...that made a huge difference in the balance front to rear. Most of those I see around, including mine, seem to have settled some in the rear. Looks like I need to get those springs to the shop. Did you remove them and take them in or have it all done and placed back on the truck for you?

Great pair sir!

Danger Ranger

Neat. Good lookin trucks. If you will pardon my asking, but how is driving with just your hands? Does it keep you busy, or what?

What were the slotted mag wheels/tires for?

IdahoPlowboy

Both those rides look great! I like the height on the 1028. The re-arching of the springs on the 1009...that made a huge difference in the balance front to rear. Most of those I see around, including mine, seem to have settled some in the rear. Looks like I need to get those springs to the shop. Did you remove them and take them in or have it all done and placed back on the truck for you?

Great pair sir!
Forest522 I learned the hardway that Re-Arching didnt last very well for me and I will have to replace the springs. Many on here gave the same advice and said it would be money well spent buying new springs and I did not listen. They have started to sag and are about 1/2 an inch lower on the passenger side and it drives me crazy looking at it{the m1009}. I tried the same with the M1028 and and ended up buying new springs also. I have had the front and rear springs out of both these trucks twice and should have had to do this only once with each. On the plus side I have gotten very good at changing springs and diffs so I have learned a lot.
Yes you could probably have the shop do the remove and replace but you would save by doing this yourself, it is easy.

IdahoPlowboy

LOVE your builds! I thought about the swampers but went with the HMMWV 12 bolts instead. I too have a 4" lift on my M1028. Looks just about perfect. Nice builds.
WARWAG I have watched your builds and say the same, You have done a great job posting pics,I hope to do the same also. The swampers were great on my old Silverado in the 80s and I just really like them a lot. I guess I just miss some of the stuff I had back then.

IdahoPlowboy

Neat. Good lookin trucks. If you will pardon my asking, but how is driving with just your hands? Does it keep you busy, or what?

What were the slotted mag wheels/tires for?
I t takes a little gettin used to but works out just fine. The one thing that I miss is driving manual transmissions There are just to many things for your hands to do driving a stick.
The slotted mags are 16.5s that I was going to use on the M1028 but stayed with the stock wheels and the Q78/16s instead. I really do like the looks of those slotted wheels though, Maybe some day.

martindc1

Nice CUCV's, your m1028 looks just right. How much tread life do you get out of the Q78 Super Swampers? That front axle looks like a Dana 44, what gear ratios are you running?

IdahoPlowboy

I dont remember how many miles I would get out of these tires back on my old truck. The front diff is all Dana 60 and the truck has the original 4.56 gears.

2HIJOS2126

Sweet lookin CUCV's plowboy... I seen you driving your 1028 in Idaho Falls a few months ago and also in Ririe a month ago or so... That lift and tire combo look awesome.. I hope to get a 6" lift and some meaty cleats on my 1028 soon... keep us updated on the progress...

IdahoPlowboy

Sweet lookin CUCV's plowboy... I seen you driving your 1028 in Idaho Falls a few months ago and also in Ririe a month ago or so... That lift and tire combo look awesome.. I hope to get a 6" lift and some meaty cleats on my 1028 soon... keep us updated on the progress...
We need to get together sometime.

2HIJOS2126

For sure that would be cool... Turns out I met a guy yesterday that works at Idaho Steel that said he knew a guy named Roger from Ririe that owned a truck like mine and also a military Blazer... Im assuming thats you... He was at my friends shop in Ucon where I was welding up my roof rack... I didnt catch his name though... But I would like to check out your M1028...

biggestc69

Perfect combo of lift and tires on the M1028! Not too much lift and just the right amount of tire. I run 34x10.5 Swamper LTB's on mine dailey driver. Truck never broke down or gave me any problems so I did the dumb thing and just kept driving it. Well appartenly I make alot of left handed turns because that drivers back tire is SLICK! If your gonna daily drive rotate about once a month. I'm just gonna drive the M715 til I feel like shelling out another load of cash on tires that because of my own stupidity I only got a year and a half out of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks