• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MY 1952 M211 GARWOOD CRANE TRUCK

292FARMER

Hello!
Welcome to the madness from Salmon River Country!
Very cool set-up there. I have a 1945 Ward LaFrance M1A1 Heavy Wrecker equipped with that style crane and it is proving to be pretty handy.

Just so you know, that Garwood crane has it's own manual. TM 9-1796. "ordnance maintenance: crane assembly for heavy wrecking truck"
The TM 9-796 manual is for the whole truck (WLF) but has LOTS of info on the crane and is out there as well.View attachment 827876

Once in a while they pop up , but seem to be pretty rare.
Just remember when using those control levers to throw them with authority. Snap in and snap out. DON'T try to "feather them".
Does your unit have item "m" called load indicator? I'm guessing it shows percentage of lift capacity vs boom angle. I didn't know if your had it can you snap a pic? Mine is missing but I see an arrow welded on boom that I assume would point at that. Curious to see what it was. Thank you

Attachments

292FARMER

PICKED UP A REB POWERSHIFT KIT, ALSO TEST FITTING A SPARE TANK WITH STEP SO I CAN GET RID OF JERRY CAN AND ALSO HAVE A DECENT PLACE TO STAND AND RUN THE CRANE CONTROLS.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
PICKED UP A REB POWERSHIFT KIT, ALSO TEST FITTING A SPARE TANK WITH STEP SO I CAN GET RID OF JERRY CAN AND ALSO HAVE A DECENT PLACE TO STAND AND RUN THE CRANE CONTROLS.
Really Neat! It seems that the step tank will be in a perfect position to operate the levers too!
Definitely a cool truck.

I particularly like the simple, straight forward instructions in the shifter box. It obviously came from a day gone by when a person took responsibility for their actions... Even including a reminder that an already broken transmission isn't going to be fixed with a new shifter. :cool:

292FARMER

Really Neat! It seems that the step tank will be in a perfect position to operate the levers too!
Definitely a cool truck.

I particularly like the simple, straight forward instructions in the shifter box. It obviously came from a day gone by when a person took responsibility for their actions... Even including a reminder that an already broken transmission isn't going to be fixed with a new shifter. :cool:
yes i am pleased with how the step tank sits. its been either a stretch from ground or stand on deck and bend over to reach the levers haha. i am hoping to add videos of me operating the crane..but havent figured out how to load videos yet just pics

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
yes i am pleased with how the step tank sits. its been either a stretch from ground or stand on deck and bend over to reach the levers haha. i am hoping to add videos of me operating the crane..but havent figured out how to load videos yet just pics
Good Deal! I think we don't have the ability to host movies / videos here.
Best I have been able to find is a linked video.

Seems that most of the videos are on YouTube.
Wonder if there is a SS Web software upgrade that would allow it?
I'd bet a lot of us would be willing to chip in for that feature...
Then all our stuff could be in one place.

292FARMER

Good Deal! I think we don't have the ability to host movies / videos here.
Best I have been able to find is a linked video.

Seems that most of the videos are on YouTube.
Wonder if there is a SS Web software upgrade that would allow it?
I'd bet a lot of us would be willing to chip in for that feature...
Then all our stuff could be in one place.
HMMM definitely an idea..im not a computer guy though haha. ill try the you tube link at least i can share them somehow to the group!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1952 gmc m211 heavy wrecker - YouTube short video i did going over basic specs and use on the Garwood US6A crane/wrecker body
Hot Dog!!

I was the FIRST thumbs up on your YouTube video going over the specs :cool:
Very Cool.

It is really interesting that your truck lift capacity is about the same as the M936.
Actually your specs are MORE than the hydraulics on the M936.

Very cool to see that it has boom jacks and outriggers too.
The outriggers being rusted in the tube is a common thing.
Lots of WP finally got 3 of the four (of mine) out of their tube!

292FARMER

Hot Dog!!

I was the FIRST thumbs up on your YouTube video going over the specs :cool:
Very Cool.

It is really interesting that your truck lift capacity is about the same as the M936.
Actually your specs are MORE than the hydraulics on the M936.

Very cool to see that it has boom jacks and outriggers too.
The outriggers being rusted in the tube is a common thing.
Lots of WP finally got 3 of the four (of mine) out of their tube!
yeah been slowly breaking them free, lift capacity is high..but was also originally on a larger truck so keep that in mind. they could be found on the kenworth M1A1 which i believe was closer to a 5 or even 10ton truck..for ww2 era.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Great videos Kyle ! That is a great truck. Boy, that crane is excruciatingly slow. It's hard to tell how the PTO is set up on your M211, does it come off the transmission or transfer case ? Since you have the KW M1A1 book you probably know that originally the PTO came off the transfer case, the T/C had to be in neutral and the truck's transmission was used to select the speed. I'm not sure if you have a neutral position in your transfer case or not, I'm not too familiar with the M211. Maybe when you get your shift kit installed you will be able to select a higher transmission gear when operating the crane ? Here is a video of an original M1A1 operating. it's slow at the beginning but he speeds it up at the end.

1943 Ward LaFrance M1A1 Wrecker Boom Demonstration - YouTube

292FARMER

Great videos Kyle ! That is a great truck. Boy, that crane is excruciatingly slow. It's hard to tell how the PTO is set up on your M211, does it come off the transmission or transfer case ? Since you have the KW M1A1 book you probably know that originally the PTO came off the transfer case, the T/C had to be in neutral and the truck's transmission was used to select the speed. I'm not sure if you have a neutral position in your transfer case or not, I'm not too familiar with the M211. Maybe when you get your shift kit installed you will be able to select a higher transmission gear when operating the crane ? Here is a video of an original M1A1 operating. it's slow at the beginning but he speeds it up at the end.

1943 Ward LaFrance M1A1 Wrecker Boom Demonstration - YouTube
mine does come off the transfer case, case goes into neutral. i am hoping the shift kit will help select speed better my issue now is sometimes the governor starts kicking it up gears or down gears mid use, so i usually just leave it on low side keeps rpm/speed jumps control-able. I doubt ill gain much speed anyways..i have found most older stuff was never in a hurry any-ways.. I've found its nice and relaxing the slower pace. its a nice change from the rush everything else I do. now if I can just make a recliner mount up there while I run it....also im sure the pto ratio wasnt designed for this body setup originally. ive debated changing the chain ratio going up from pto...but sometimes slow is relaxing haha,

292FARMER

Finally He-man'd the boom jacks up onto the boom then to body, really makes a difference driving around yard even. you don't have a 20ft steel beam lurching back and forth as you drive. did have to break the rust free on the pivots on the boom so they rotate nicely now. I do still need to free the boom jacks up them selves as they are supposed to extend out...but that's a horror for another day hahaha. dont mind the paint testing colors before i finally settle on one and sand her down and do body work.

Attachments

292FARMER

FINALLY GOT 75% PAINTED HAHA. ended up using it to hold the pinatas and used it to make a small zipline for the kids birthday party. kids loved it hahaha. we got real heavy rain up in NH, it broke logs up river free pushed them into town beach & dam. brought the beasty down and ripped them out of the water haha.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks