• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 2hr project (finished at midnight)

crazywelder72

About 5 years ago my childhood best friend gave me his original Hurst grip out of his old '68 Cuda. I never did anything with it as I always felt I needed to wait for the perfect project.

Well it hit me today and I knocked it out tonight.

I first had to remove the old line/lock switch and solder new leads on. These will be connected to the air horns so i wont have to take my left hand off the wheel to hit the button on the dash.

After all that was done, I just needed to find a nice piece of bar stock, take a few measurements, and start turning and threading.fat lady sings

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any pics of the whole lathe? Some of us are tool junkies too!

Neat simple project. Did you turn the threads, or use a tap and die?

I have a Boxford VSL500 and a South Bend Heavy 10.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you want an easy way to fill in the lettering, use vasoline. Just "paint" the letters with it, then tape off the outside of the box. Then spray it with a rattle can. The lettering will wipe off when it comes to paint with a light oil.

crazywelder72

Any pics of the whole lathe? Some of us are tool junkies too!

Neat simple project. Did you turn the threads, or use a tap and die?

I have a Boxford VSL500 and a South Bend Heavy 10.
Tap and die... I never was never taught how to really cut a thread. I'll get a few pics up. I have 2 lathes, This is a 1943 10" Logan. My other is a 1934 13" Southbend. My Logan is real sweat, the SB came out of a school.... does the job but i just use it for bigger jobs.

zout

Boy that T handle brought back flashbacks of the 60's. Amazing what a person forgets over the years till you see something and brings back a flood of thoughts stored away.

Nice lathe

plym49

Nice use of a T handle with meaning, and nice shop!

You need to paint that go-kart to match your truck and mount it so that the truck 'spits out' the go-kart for special missions. I'm thinking the Bat Kart dropping out of the Bat Copter (remember that movie)?

Maybe you're Batman. :)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want an easy way to fill in the lettering, use vasoline. Just "paint" the letters with it, then tape off the outside of the box. Then spray it with a rattle can. The lettering will wipe off when it comes to paint with a light oil.

I remember doing that about 25 years ago on the center caps of the first car I had...I repainted the car and wanted to paint the center caps, but didn't want to paint the emblems...didn't think of vasoline, but a light coat of grease does just as good. Thanks for bringing back some old memories :beer:

plym49

I remember doing that about 25 years ago on the center caps of the first car I had...I repainted the car and wanted to paint the center caps, but didn't want to paint the emblems...didn't think of vasoline, but a light coat of grease does just as good. Thanks for bringing back some old memories :beer:
I've tried that technique both ways (vaseline and grease) and it has never worked for me. The solvent in the spray paint thins out the coating, and the pressure of the spray pushed it aside, making a mess.

crazywelder72

Nice use of a T handle with meaning, and nice shop!

You need to paint that go-kart to match your truck and mount it so that the truck 'spits out' the go-kart for special missions. I'm thinking the Bat Kart dropping out of the Bat Copter (remember that movie)?

Maybe you're Batman. :)

I totally agree!!! That would be awesome. The funny thing is a few years back I was well on my way to building a Jet powered go-kart.

The Bat mobile had a jet engine. Should I have it drop put from the undercarriage, or a special lift out from the bed?:cool:

crazywelder72

Actually I am going to hijack my own thread for a bit if you all don't mind. I have some clutch and brake questions.

About 2 days ago when I was going up a little hill in 4th gear, I noticed the rpms started to shoot up a bit without noticing it pull any harder. As soon as I felt it I let off the pedal and everything was normal again. Was this a sign of the clutch slipping? It has happened a few times since then.

Also I have noticed I have had a tremendous amount of trouble downshifting in the past few days also? It wants to grind the gears. Up shifting isnt a problem at all. Is this a clutch issue also?

Last, Today the brake peddle felt soft. I had full air pressure but the peddle would go almost all the way to the floor then it would firm up. Not sure where to look first, Air pack? fluid level? something else?

I know there is a lot I just posted but I know you guys can handle it. Help?!?

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely sounds like the clutch is slipping. Maybe transmission fluid level issue?

I would start by bleeding the brake system and see if that helps the pedal out. If your master cylinder vent was converted over to the "Axle check valve" style vent, that may be an issue. There was a theory that I fully support, and is the reason I changed mine back to an open vent. Check this thread...So, I'm thinking of changing my MC cap vent

crazywelder72

Speedmon, that was a good thread and link. Thanks.... I dont know if it has the vent cap or the tube. I will look, but we are in for 48 hrs of torrential rains.... Do you know what the thread size is?

crazywelder72

i just got exhausted looking thru tm's. I didnt have much luck. TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1 chapter 3 (page 67) but still isnt what i'm looking for.

Any step-by-step threads? looking for any helpful info, maybe I can adjust it to keep it from slipping? (but where and how)

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get under the truck and make sure there is no oil coming out of the hole in the bottom of the bellhousing???????

If the transmission leaks or the rear main seal leaks into the bellhousing it will saturate the clutch and it will slip.

The only real adjustment is on the pedal free play...as long as you have the correct free play that will not help or cause the slipping. It could be possible to have some broken fingers on the pressure plate I guess, but hard to tell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks