• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 85 M1008 restoration project

Status
Not open for further replies.

helm1008

I would like to hear some comments and talk tech specs. im interested in learning about the extreme cold heaters for hunting up hear in Maine and about doing a 6.5 turbo in a 6.2, I spent a day in the scrap yard and have already picked up a turbo set up for 25$ best deal ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

helm1008

I have to thank my dad for the body work he is doing on the truck for me. He is the best i know at it. I will be doing engine work to it when shes back up to Maine.

helm1008

ya he is awesome at body work. he is doing it for me, i could do it, but he offered and knowing how good he is i couldn't pass up the deal. The truck is down in FL right now going to try and get it back up to ME soon so i can start working on it myself still a lot i want to do when he is done doing the body work on it. i really would like to install the turbo i picked up using a low boost of course in hopes not to blow up the bottom end

helm1008

If anyone knows about the in cab external heater for these trucks I would love to learn more. It would be awesome to shut off the noisy diesel while hunting and stay warm:beer:

evldoer

Very nice start to a good looking truck.

Looks like your Dad does good work! Let me know when he is done with your truck. I will send him one of mine to start on.

If you are going to put bigger tires on that truck then for sure you will want that turbo installed. I have 37s on a truck and before I put the turbo on it really fell on its face every time I came to a hill. Now with some boost it is a completely different truck. It can now hold its own up to 65-70. There is a lot of good info on this site for the turbo installation, and almost anything else you want to concure. Spend some time searching and you will find a lot of answers, and some interesting reading.

Keep the pics coming, we all like to so a lot of pictures

helm1008

Definitely want to install turbo, but I need to figure out how I'm going to do it i would like to use a lot of 6.2 parts. how did you do yours did you keep stock injectors and use spacers for the manifolds, and how did you make the manual boost. did you use stock fuel pump?

evldoer

I have an aftermarket Banks kit on mine, found a good deal on a used kit that came with a passenger side manifold which is a lot easier to use then the 6.5 manifold. With the GM 6.5 manifold, some of the guys are using 2 manifold gaskets stacked to get clearance for the injectors and some guys say they didn't need the extra room,. I kept my mechanical lift pump, drilled a hole and welded a piece of tubing to the fuel pump adapter plate for the oil return. For your manual boost controller, everyone refers to it as a "turbo master". Its just a spring installed in place of the vacuum servo, or whatever its called. There is a few DIY videos on YouTube on how to make them.
I would recommend getting that turbo on while your truck is apart, it is a big job and way easier if you have the fender off on that side.

Last edited:

CPAPPY

Nice start on your truck, I totally agree what evildoer just said recommend getting that turbo on while your truck is apart, it is a big job and way easier if you have the fender off on that side. I added extra gaskets on mine and used stock injectors and ran the exhaust on the out side of frame. Have fun with your project.

helm1008

I have an aftermarket Banks kit on mine, found a good deal on a used kit that came with a passenger side manifold which is a lot easier to use then the 6.5 manifold. With the GM 6.5 manifold, some of the guys are using 2 manifold gaskets stacked to get clearance for the injectors and some guys say they didn't need the extra room,. I kept my mechanical lift pump, drilled a hole and welded a piece of tubing to the fuel pump adapter plate for the oil return. For your manual boost controller, everyone refers to it as a "turbo master". Its just a spring installed in place of the vacuum servo, or whatever its called. There is a few DIY videos on YouTube on how to make them.
I would recommend getting that turbo on while your truck is apart, it is a big job and way easier if you have the fender off on that side.
i would use the banks if i had the money i have the oil return plate of the other truck, now i just have to decide if i should rebuild the old turbo or use it as it is, it has a little shaft movement but the blades don't touch the walls. also ive been chasing this one down for some time is there anyway to put the 37s on without spacers is there a aftermarket black powder coated rim or something i can use?

helm1008

Nice start on your truck, I totally agree what evildoer just said recommend getting that turbo on while your truck is apart, it is a big job and way easier if you have the fender off on that side. I added extra gaskets on mine and used stock injectors and ran the exhaust on the out side of frame. Have fun with your project.
i can just run the exhaust right in the stock dual pipes cant i ?

helm1008

some more photos of the truck and its condition when i got it, i want to make this build thread with a lot of pics.

helm1008

hear is the inside of the truck. took the bench seat out and we got ambulance bucket seats for it.

helm1008

the bed you see in the picture is in pretty good shape has normal angry military fist marks if any one needs a solid bed that one up for sail. we buy luck found a nicer one for the truck cheep sometimes its easier/faster to buy hole new bed then do the body work on the old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.