• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Crew Cab Deuce Build

w3azel

How did you tie in the supports on the bottom and corner? I really wish I could see the spot welds to drill them out and replace the whole floor with one or two pieces but they painted some thick #$%! on it so that outs. I might just trace around the supports, leave the thin sheet metal on top then lay a new floor over it. It still doesn't help me on welding the supports from the second cab onto the first cab though. I just don't think 16ga skin is strong enough when the truck gets a rocking. I might tie some square tubing along the bottom maybe build it for the side and roof support as well. I'm just trying to bounce ideas off of you so your insight would be awesome.

FatBuddhaBoo

How did you tie in the supports on the bottom and corner? I really wish I could see the spot welds to drill them out and replace the whole floor with one or two pieces but they painted some thick #$%! on it so that outs. I might just trace around the supports, leave the thin sheet metal on top then lay a new floor over it. It still doesn't help me on welding the supports from the second cab onto the first cab though. I just don't think 16ga skin is strong enough when the truck gets a rocking. I might tie some square tubing along the bottom maybe build it for the side and roof support as well. I'm just trying to bounce ideas off of you so your insight would be awesome.
I welded a couple of pieces of angle iron (not shown in the pictures, sorry) from the underside where the sheet metal filler would be welded in to keep it from flexing and added a couple of spot welds. I had contemplated welding some square tubing into the holes of the original cross cab support, but didn't (why I can't recall). Added a piece of angle metal where the cabs merged near the floor, and may weld in more higher up for additional support. No other supports were welded between the original and added cab, as I felt that between the exterior sheet metal weld and the floor welds it is pretty solid. Combined with the bolted on roof I don't think it's going anywhere.

Very little flex in the 16 ga...I would think it would be sufficient.

inside weld 1.jpgwhole floor.jpg

w3azel

Boom angle iron. I was trying to reinvent the wheel and your way is better.How did you do the squared sheets for the floor. Is it just welded on top of the old cut floor or did you remove the old floor. The first pic has the old angle cut floor and the second is of nice squared off pieces.

FatBuddhaBoo

Boom angle iron. I was trying to reinvent the wheel and your way is better.How did you do the squared sheets for the floor. Is it just welded on top of the old cut floor or did you remove the old floor. The first pic has the old angle cut floor and the second is of nice squared off pieces.
In this pic you can see what is original floor and new floor (new floor is really shiny!). Essentially just squared off the original sections that were left and welded in the new. Also note that I left some original floor between the door and first new section on both sides.

rear floor1.jpg

Then I trimmed off the old section of overlap and welded in a seam piece to join the rear and front cab floors on the passenger side. I had a good deal of rot though under the drivers seat so this piece was much larger.

dside floor2.jpgpside floor.jpg

Last edited:

w3azel

So I thought I was so close to finishing up my crew cab build till yesterday when I mounted the rear doors and they didn't fit. I'm going to do a thread on the build but lets just say the back doors have a sag or twist or something that makes them not line up and have a gap on the front top hinge. Was wondering if you had any issues like this or did you keep your doors on to prevent this problem from showing up. I thought I did a great job lining up everything but obviously not. I had to rebuild the section between the doors and it still has a gap and I created a gap on the back of the front door but atleast both doors can close. I learned so much with this build.

FatBuddhaBoo

So I thought I was so close to finishing up my crew cab build till yesterday when I mounted the rear doors and they didn't fit. I'm going to do a thread on the build but lets just say the back doors have a sag or twist or something that makes them not line up and have a gap on the front top hinge. Was wondering if you had any issues like this or did you keep your doors on to prevent this problem from showing up. I thought I did a great job lining up everything but obviously not. I had to rebuild the section between the doors and it still has a gap and I created a gap on the back of the front door but atleast both doors can close. I learned so much with this build.
I never took the doors off when I lined up the two cabs, so any gap that was there was still the same once the two were joined. With that being said, the rear cab doors do not close as nicely as the front cab doors, which was a known issue when I got the cab. Looking at the hinges it appears they may need to be replaced which I hope will fix the issue.

Like you I learned a ton from doing the build, and if I ever had to do it again I'm confident the it would come out much nicer. Regardless I am happy with it so far, and hope to get back to working on her soon (dealing with some medical issues at the moment :-( ). Only minor things like painting the interior and finishing the exterior paint, putting in the rear seats and installing the door seals. There's a few local car shows that always have a couple deuces show up that draw a crowd, and I'm certain mine will draw much more attention.

FatBuddhaBoo

Wow, can't believe I'm 8 months into this and still going!

Got the rear cab seats aligned and holes drilled. Painted the rear and passenger side interior, mirrors, windshield, gas tank and bed sides Behr 383 green. Also painted the outer portion of the tailgate and the under section of the front fenders Rustoleum red.

On the schedule tomorrow...second coat of Behr on the toolbox and battery box plus interior touch up, paint the tailgate and possibly hang the second toolbox and rear mud flaps. Rear seats get bolted in Sunday before football starts!!!

IMAG1241.jpgIMAG1240.jpgIMAG1237.jpgIMAG1242.jpgIMAG1235.jpgIMAG1234.jpg

Reckless

The funny thing is, I was going to use the EXACT same seats for the front and my seat is ripped in the EXACT same spot! Haha. But I got rid of those and went a different rout that was a little slimmer.

FatBuddhaBoo

Yeah, I put an identical set in my M1009 as well, including the same tear!

I'm going to get some Coverking Ballistic Seat covers for them from a certain auction site, so the tear isn't an issue. As for width, it's got a couple inches on each side from the plastic to the door frame, and plenty of leg room for someone my size in the rear (I'm right at 6'0"). With the seats folded forward it will give me access to some storage space under and behind as well.

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

Parking brake cable moved up, seats bolted in, 2nd step box bolted on, tailgate painted, under side of front fenders painted, and a whole bunch under the bed that I somehow missed. Decided I need to removed the gas can holder and chip the paint off the paint of the front driver side step box before painting that section, and forgot to get hardware for the mud flaps so those did not get installed.

IMAG1245.jpgIMAG1244.jpgIMAG1243.jpgIMAG1248.jpgIMAG1247.jpg

Last edited:

Reckless

I actually decided to use cargo van seats in my truck. The van is flat through out, so there was no worry for risers or any of that, just welded on some angle iron and bolted them down!

Trucks looking GREAT! Are you brushing the paint on or spraying it? What kind of prep are you doing before paint?

FatBuddhaBoo

Trucks looking GREAT! Are you brushing the paint on or spraying it? What kind of prep are you doing before paint?
Thanks!

As for paint, everything was lightly sanded, while some sections were sanded a bit heavier to get to some rust. Anything that was bare metal or had signs of rust gets hits with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and anything that was not was hit with regular primer. For applying the Behr, a combination of brush, small roller and a Harbor Freight electric sprayer have done the trick nicely.

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

Realized late yesterday that in all this I had neglected to weld the front troop seat frame supports back on the bed! aua

So a bit of sanding new and old paint off and a little trimming of metal I got them welded in place today. Not the prettiest of welds on the passenger side one, but functional regardless. Tomorrow I'll prime and paint those sections and hopefully start needle gunning the tool box step.

IMAG1250.jpgIMAG1251.jpg

FatBuddhaBoo

Wow, it's been over 6 months since I've updated this thing!

A lot has happened in that time. Had a major health scare that put me out for a time, then with the holidays and what not not much happened with the truck (hence the delays) until the last three weeks.

Anyways, got the troop seats rehabbed and installed, needle gunned a lot of heavy paint off the rear bumper, dside and pside steps, replaced the battery box cover, replaced the pside rear door, installed new dside front door window mechanism, adjusted the window stops (no more broken windows), and rehabbed the entire bed. Painted the interior floor Rustoleum flat black as it holds up better than the Behr to heavy traffic.

Had to remove the flood lights that were mounted on the back of the cab to get the front piece of the troop seats...gonna have to find a new place for them now. :(

IMAG1256.jpgIMAG1255.jpgIMAG1257.jpgIMAG1342.jpgIMAG1349.jpgIMAG1348.jpg

Oh yeah, found this under the jerry can mount when I removed it....

IMAG1254.jpg

All current major work is complete. Just need to install some wipers, rehab the bows, install some canvas finish some cosmetic touches, then put some miles on her!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks