• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Crew Cab Deuce Build

Patruck

I have so many questions on placement of cab, relocation of wiring, floor! Please pm me so we can chat or send me your number. I am in the midst of the same build. But I am going soft top and triple hoop roll bar.

FatBuddhaBoo

Wow, it's been quite a long time since I worked on the Deuce! Between work on the M1009 and everything else, not much progress has been made. However, all that changed this last Saturday when I managed to get the bed cut down to about 9 feet with the help of a gas powered chop saw! It was like a hot knife going through butter! Opted to remove the front portion, as that section had quite a bit of rust from where it sat in DRMO Jax with a bed full of water for an extended time frame. Plus, with the plans to build a custom camper box on the back, this really just seemed like the most logical choice, not to mention keeping the existing bed mounts where they originally were.

Hopefully I will have it back in place in next few weeks. Once that's done it's time to finish the window seals, adjust the rear doors to make them close better, then final painting of the exterior and interior before installing the rest of the seats and whatever else I decide for the cab.

IMAG1117.jpg

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

Wow what a cut!

I just took the first couple steps on mine saturday. Hope it comes together as well as yours has
Thanks. If there's one thing I've learned, it's measure, measure, measure before you take the plunge and cut!

I spray painted the bed yellow in that section before drawing my line with a Sharpie so that I could see it better. Made following the line much easier! I did however have to cut the frame section with my trusty Sawzall, but that wasn't too bad either.

Your signature says you are doing a M109 crew cab build...are you gonna chop the box too, much like I envisioned here Crew Cabbed M109?

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

Well here's the update....

Bed is on with new hardware holding her down. Removed a majority of the larger, loose rust from inside the bed area then pressure washed the entire inside, outside and underside in preparation for paint. I was amazed at how much tan paint simply blasted right off, and even more amazed that the Behr "383 green" is a pretty good match to the existing green that is showing up from under the old paint.

It would've have been easier to have painted the underside of the bed with it off, but since the guy helping me sold his tractor, we had a limited time to use one that was borrowed from another. Same goes with being able to weld the front part of the bed back on before putting the entire thing on the truck. But that didn't happen, but I have a plan that I know will work just fine for reattaching it in place.

Now for the pics...

IMAG1173.jpgIMAG1172.jpgIMAG1171.jpgIMAG1170.jpgIMAG1174.jpgIMAG1175.jpg

FatBuddhaBoo

Got the entire side and under side of the bed in primer and started painting the underside green. Priming alone took nearly 6 hours using a brush and roller. Thankfully I was a contortionist in the Russian circus in my past life, so I was able to hit ever little crack and crevice with the brush!

Today I got the front piece of the bed cut, trimmed and rough fitted into place. I still have to cut the bottom section off, which being a little thicker metal will require something more than my trusty sawzall.

I'm really liking how the bed is turning out...it will almost look entirely original!

IMAG1181.jpgIMAG1179.jpgIMAG1182.jpgIMAG1180.jpg

Last edited:

w3azel

THANK YOU! I've looked everywhere for pics of a crew cab deuce that is still 6x6 and you have done it. It looks awesome. The 4x4 ones are nice but I don't want to sacrifice off road capability and I just love having two rear axles. I'm going just slightly off design of yours but its going to be close. Hope to start cutting Sat.

FatBuddhaBoo

THANK YOU! I've looked everywhere for pics of a crew cab deuce that is still 6x6 and you have done it. It looks awesome. The 4x4 ones are nice but I don't want to sacrifice off road capability and I just love having two rear axles. I'm going just slightly off design of yours but its going to be close. Hope to start cutting Sat.
Yeah, I like the look of the 6 wheels as well. Plus it keeps more of the original look and feel of the truck.

Hit me up if you got any questions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks