• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My CUCV spin on fuel filter mod

AECS

Thanks everyone for a great thread. I'm getting ready to do this mod on my 84 M1009. Couple quick questions though:
1) I'm going with the WIX 24770 base but I'm not sure about which filter to use. I plan to run 60/40 Diesel/WMO starting soon. Can I still use the 3 micron 33005 (NAPA 3005) or will I have to step down to the 12 micron 33405 (DAPA 3405). Is there a reason no one has mentioned the 6 micron 33426 (NAPA 3426) that is similar diameter?
2) I've seen pictures of the bleeder valve on one of the output sides but I haven't seen any pictures of the setup for the marine squeeze bulb primer on the input side of this base. Anyone care to enlighten me?
I just got the 4770 in with the 3426 and the filter is to big for the base, it looks like it is to big by agout 1/16 of an inch or so on the phone to fleet filter in the morning.

rsh4364

How often y'all changing your fuel filters ??
When I did my spin on filter I used wix 24770 head and wix 33005 filter.The head has two input and two outlets,I added a fuel pressure gauge on input side and a fuel pressure gauge on output side,when I see outlet side start to drop Ill change filter.I also monitor input side as I run elect.lift pump with a pre filter so when input press. drops I know its time to change pre filter.

Last edited:

chesapeake

Back on post #158 I added that I had made this conversion. For the past few weeks it has been hard to start (warm or cold outside). The GPs are less than a year old, I replaced the batteries 2 days ago (group 31 with 950 CCA). It seems to turnover for 8-10 seconds, fires off and dies within 2 seconds. Repeat the process and then it fires and stays running. From then on it cranks in less than a 1 second. Let it sit for 4-5 hours and it will happen again. The fuel filter is less than 3 months old. I plan on replacing it tonight, but just curious if others have had this problem. Fuel pump was replaced over the summer.

The first spin on filter I ran was a Wix 53305 which is tall and had water drain on it. I was worried about the weight and so I have a 3305 I believe now. It is shorter and no drain. When I replace it tonight, I will go back to the tall one.

Any suggestions?

richingalveston

I had this problem last week. I thought it was a fuel problem but ended up being the glow plug relay going bad slowly. Over a three week period, the wait light stayed on longer each time I would start it. Over those three weeks it kept taking longer and longer to start. It was now taking two long glow plug cycles to start the truck. When the truck started it smelled bad and had a lot of smoke.
when warm, it would fire right up.

starting checking for bad glow plugs and quickly found that only a small amount of power was getting through the relay.

when you do get it started, if there is a lot of smoke and bad fuel smell for the first 30 seconds, it is probably a glow plug problem. If you have no smoking or fuel smells after it starts it is probably an air in fuel issue allowing the fuel system to drain back and not holding pressure.

The glow plug relay had some really corroded contacts inside. It would pass 12V through so when checking with a meter it showed to have power on the output but it could not pass enough amps to heat the plugs fast enough.

chesapeake

Rich,

My wait light doesn't stay on longer than normal. I thought it could be the GPs so after the click from the GPs turning off, I would use my manual switch and it didn't have any effect. Yes it does smoke andf have a fuel smell when it does fire off. Great, I am horrible at electrical troubleshooting. How many amps should be coming of the relay?

Thank you for answering. Now I won't be chasing a Ghost

richingalveston

did you check your glow plugs to make sure all are good.
I believe it is around 70 amps at 12V when all 8 plugs are functioning correctly. (not 100% sure on the amps)

Are you still using the resistor. Bypass this if you are, it can be a problem also if one side quits.
The resistor can malfunction and take out your glow plugs by providing to high of voltage.

I found that if you are not getting fuel, when it starts it is a rough idle no smoke or smell and smooth's out quickly.
If it is a glow plug problem, lots of smell and some smoke and has no rough idle at first.

I had the problem of not getting fuel because my shut off valve was sticking. I have been running 2 stroke oil in every fill up and this has stopped. sometimes it sticks open still and I have to tap on the IP to get it to shut down. This was happening about a month before the glow plug relay started acting up so my experience is with recent problems on my truck.

A manual switch on the glow plug relay will only engage it the same as the controller card. If it is not passing enough current, holding it longer wont make much of a difference.

chesapeake

I haven't checked them. I was thinking it was a fuel issue.

The glow plugs were repalced about a year ago with AC 60. I have bypassed the resisitor.

It smokes and smells when it fires off for just a second. When it fires up for good, it will smoke and smell and it sounds like it surging and smooths out quickly into a nice idle. I run an additive (can't remeber the name. Gray bottle and stinks) and 2-stroke on everyother fillup.

I realized after I hit send that my gp bypass had no bearing on this hahaha.

richingalveston

sounds like a glow plug issue, the surging and smoke is the excess fuel burning off from being flooded while waiting for the glow plugs to get hot enough.

my glow plug relay was only a year old and looked brand new. It had a lot of starts on it but not a lot of run time hours since my truck was in the build stage for the last three years.

I would get a new relay and try it. If it was not the problem then you have an extra one. I keep an extra one in the truck since it is a critical part of the starting system.

You can jumper across the terminals with jumper cables (you will get some sparks on connection). Hold this for the 10 to 15 seconds then see how fast it starts.
You will need a clamp meter to measure the amps flowing through the output of the relay, to measure amps at work.

check your glow plugs to make sure some have not gone out also.

It could be a fuel issue but does not sound like it. smoke and smell comes from to much fuel and not from having no fuel.

chesapeake

Rich,

The Napa store down the road has one I am picking up at lunch. Thank you for all your help. It will be late tonight, but I will write back and let you know how it goes. The relay that is on it now, is somewhere between 3-4 years old. I do know it was replaced by the previous owner, but I have had the truck almost two years.

Ted

Last edited:

Nathanater

So I've noticed with my M1009 that it won't start unless I put a 12v 50amp battery charge on the front battery. The resister is bypassed. The glow plugs cycle a lot faster with the extra power on the front battery. It won't start without it unless it's already been running. When I tried it yesterday, with out the extra power, the relay clicked off and on three times fast then I think stayed on for a long cycle. She didn't start. She puffed out smoke while cranking but never fired. I think my GPs are toast and my relay is not working right.

I plan to change the relay next chance I get and see if it helps them do the glow plugs. Any other things I should look at?

chesapeake

I just replaced the relay and I have the same issue. The truck is at my parents and he doesn't have a tester. I will bring mine tomorrow.

Talking out loud: new batteries, with the smoke and diesel smell I'm getting fuel. I have replaced the GP relay and the GP resister is no longer on the truck. GPs themselves I assume are the next logical conclusion!?

Nathanater

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423883974.702267.jpg changed the glow plugs today and it started right up really easy! Waited till the wait light went off. The glow plugs came out really easy.

Just checked it after its sat for about five hours and the wait light didn't turn on and when it disengaged the glow plugs it clicked on and off like it was half sticking but I just changed the relay out yesterday. I didn't try to start it but I'll try in the morning.

It wasnt really much of a mod as I just unbolted one and bolted the other filter base in the same holes, longer bolts and fittings adapted but thats all.

This is the ac filter base identicle to the one I found at the dismanteling yard.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks