• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My EX-Police M1010

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Here are some pics of a M1010 I just picked up as my first MV. I've followed this website a while and finally jumped in with both feet!

This M1010 has been converted to 12V (batteries are wired in parallel) but the box lights and box A/C unit still function. The fuel-fired heater doesn't do anything at the moment (haven't looked at it very closely yet), and all of the air particulate filter and other medical equipment has been removed except for the beds.

The DUVAC appears to still be on the fender and hooked up so I don't know what the wiring is up to. There is a ground disconnect in the cab so I just turn that off every time when I park it.

The truck only has 12,833 miles on it and runs great, drives OK. I drove it 100 miles home and the only issue I had was the A/C compressor clutch locking up on me. I had to cut the belt to make it the rest of the way home as I wasn't smart enough to bring any tools with me.

My only plans for right now are to fix the A/C, replace some steering/suspension/brake components and figure out exactly what kind of 12V/24V wiring I have going on. Wish me luck!

goldneagle

Looks good man. Welcome to the site. Keep the pictures coming. Try to upload the pictures to our server. This way they will always be here with the thread.

firecontrol86

That is a sweet looking truck man! I would love one of those! I know they're pretty heavy, but does it drive like block of steel or is pretty comfortable?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good!

One thing I noticed is that they removed the channeling on the sides for the Red Cross panels. Check the top of the box to see if they removed that one as well. There's a chance that you could get some leakage when it rains even if it's there but doubly so if they removed it. Some good caulking should take care of any issues.

Welcome to the M1010 Club!

HoJoPo

Looks good!

One thing I noticed is that they removed the channeling on the sides for the Red Cross panels. Check the top of the box to see if they removed that one as well. There's a chance that you could get some leakage when it rains even if it's there but doubly so if they removed it. Some good caulking should take care of any issues.

Welcome to the M1010 Club!
I wondered about the RC panel mounts on mine as well, they've been removed from the sides, but they're still on the roof, so I should be good.

Nice looking M1010. Mine was also ex-police (Antelope Valley Search and Rescue), and the previous (civilian) owner had misconnected the batteries, mine has the 24V system but was wired with 12V batteries in parallel, and boiled the batteries the whole way home. After replacing them and wiring them correctly, everything is working great. Yours appears to have a 12V alternator (mine has the dual military 24V Leece-Neville), you probably don't need the DUVAC anymore, unless they're having it drive the field on the 12V alternator...

Hopefully they changed your glow plugs, on mine when it was 12V the glow plugs wouldn't get hot enough, on 24V they work great. On 12V the air conditioner will run at 1/2 speed, I had problems with mine icing up a bit on 12V, but on 24V it's working great, and cools much better. The only things 24V about the A/C are the fans, if you could find 12V replacements and possibly beef up the wiring, it might work better (at least, that's all I saw that was 24v specific).

The fuel fired heater on the other hand may not like 12V, though supposedly mine worked when the batteries were wrong, but I didn't test it then (works fine now, gets hot fast!)

BikerBi11

Good looking score, and welcome to the 1010 club. Mine alse has police experence. I am haveing a few roblems with mine, but I will get everything fixed.... in time

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a sweet looking truck man! I would love one of those! I know they're pretty heavy, but does it drive like block of steel or is pretty comfortable?
The truck drives pretty comfortable. With all of the weight the springs ride real soft, Cadillac style. Right now the handling isn't perfect, especially the brakes (lots of pulsation). The truck accelerates great due to the over-gearing. I'm hoping for a lift and larger tires in the future to help increase the top speed. I don't think I'll ever tackle the 700R4 swap since what I have has so little mileage on it.

With the single alternator in the low position do you think I could fit the Banks turbo kit? I don't need it now but might after a lift and larger meats.

HoJoPo

The truck drives pretty comfortable. With all of the weight the springs ride real soft, Cadillac style. Right now the handling isn't perfect, especially the brakes (lots of pulsation). The truck accelerates great due to the over-gearing. I'm hoping for a lift and larger tires in the future to help increase the top speed. I don't think I'll ever tackle the 700R4 swap since what I have has so little mileage on it.

With the single alternator in the low position do you think I could fit the Banks turbo kit? I don't need it now but might after a lift and larger meats.
Yes, you should be able to clear the banks kit, since it comes over the top of the engine. Yours should be just like the civvy truck with air conditioning, as far as the accessory mounts go.

congrats on the M1010, Shrapnel, i too have one of its twin brothers... great truck, and even stock they will go places a truck its size has no business going!! seems we have a similar build plan, which is a quite common direction to go for most M1010 owners it seems. Firecontrol, youd be amazed how comfy these things actually are to drive, not nearly as harsh and rough riding as most old big leafsprung 4x4's, even on long roadtrips. ive gone 3-400mls one way, and would do it again in a second, although it will be nicer when lifted and bigger meats to make it a little longer-legged on the freeway... and probably the best vehicle ive ever driven in winter weather, even icestorms. wouldnt think so with the rear locked, but the weight of the box offsets the typical badhandling a locker would cause on ice.[thumbzup]

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A/c now working!

I just got my truck back from my friendly neighborhood repairman and now have cold A/C! I can run it with just the cab evaporator cooling and the condenser fans run on slow speed and when I turn on the box evaporator the condenser fans kick into high speed. Cooled me today enough to not sweat in 95° heat.

The truck is running great. I've changed most of the fluids (engine, trans/transfer, diffs) and next on the list are new glow plugs and then shocks. The truck is a little cold blooded right now and I'm having to try harder than I should to get it going in the cool mornings.

Attachments

Last edited:

HoJoPo

I just got my truck back from my friendly neighborhood repairman and now have cold A/C! I can run it with just the cab evaporator cooling and the condenser fans run on slow speed and when I turn on the box evaporator the condenser fans kick into high speed. Cooled me today enough to not sweat in 95° heat.

The truck is running great. I've changed most of the fluids (engine, trans/transfer, diffs) and next on the list are new glow plugs and then shocks. The truck is a little cold blooded right now and I'm having to try harder than I should to get it going in the cool mornings.
That must be nice to have both box and cab AC. How is it plumbed to both? Is that a military mod, or aftermarket?

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen two M1010's now that have had the in-cab A/C unit, but both of them were ex-police. I have no idea how it was when the military had it. Mine has also been converted to 12V. I can take extra pictures of the A/C lines if anyone needs to see it close up.

I plan to insulate the cab so that I don't get as much heat and noise in there. I'll probably insulate the floor of the box and put carpet on it to quite it down back there as well. Right now my rear box A/C blower motor is also really loud (tons of vibrations), and there are about 100 other things I feel to need to fix or upgrade...

Hightechken

Nice looking truck. My limited knowledge of how they handle is that it seems to me the trucks with dual rear wheels handle pretty "clunky" and with single rear wheels they handle pretty nice.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A/c pics

Here are some pics of the A/C lines and the in-cab unit. The lines just split off at T-intersections and go their separate ways. I know a lot of vans have rear A/C added on so this must be common enough. The cab lines go across the engine and through the firewall under the glove compartment. The rear lines go underneath the truck and then up between the cab and the box.

Right now I only have two issues with the A/C. The in-cab unit isn't draining right (simple to fix, just haven't gotten to it yet) and the box A/C blower is insanely loud. I did pull a rats nest out of the box A/C on Saturday (no rats, thankfully), but I think either the blower wheels are loose on the motor shafts or they are rubbing something. Lot's of vibration on medium and high speed.

Attachments