• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First CUCV

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Second the thought that is a manual GP switch. Not stock at all.

All the questions you have asked so far are addressed in the TM troubleshooting sections.

You may need to remove the instrument cluster and clen all the electrical contacts. The trucks have lived a hard live and need some TCL. Many threads covering the cleanup of the cluster.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing, remove each fuse clean the sockets with some Electrical Contact Cleaner and replace the fuse with a new quality fuse. Don't buy the China fuses from harbor freight.

We have seen it many times that the owner thought the fuse was good when in fact it was bad.

CycleJay

Could be a switch for some cool spy's car type add on...
Like tacks, oil slick, smoke screen, rear-facing machine gun to deter tail-gaters.. LOL
Or just shut off only the tail-lights to make some money getting rear ended on purpose. LOL

Just my $0.02 cents...

jccomer9

Well as soon as i get a chance to look into it I will let you all know what its for. Also ordered some glowplugs yesterday on eBay, cheaper than the 60s and easier on me since I wont have to worry about modifying the connectors on them. Still Havent had a chance to do all my electrical troubleshooting, been to busy with Christmas and all. Plus its just too **** cold out for me right now.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watch your language. This is a family friendly website and appropriate language is required.

The system will blank out some words but as forum moderators we can see what the words are and WILL give you some time off if it becomes a problem. We are not prudes here so some leeway is allowed. The F-bomb WILL get you in trouble.

Carry on.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All glowplugs are not created equal. You may not like the performance you get from the plugs you ordered. What part number are they?

jccomer9

So since I wont be getting my glowplugs in till next year, I decided to go ahead and order my lift kit from ORD while they are running their Christmas sale. Got 4" front springs, 4" shackle flip with 4.5" Super Shackles, TC sx8000 shocks, new u-bolts front and rear, new sway bar bushings, drop pitman arm, rear greasable bushings, extended s/s braided brake lines, and also ordered the bolt-in steering box brace. Said it wont ship until at least next Wednesday though :( On a side note, I havent heard anything from Military Offroad Tires about the order I placed on the 21st... Beginning to worry about that. Shipping prices from ORD really surprised me though, I thought it was going to be alot more than what it was.

georgia mike

When I bought my 1008 the previous owner told me he had installed new glow plugs. They looked new so I have no reason to doubt his word (he's a member here, anyway). They were Wellman's and in a few short months they were shot. I actually munched one of the tips in cylinder #1 after it burned off. Out of the 8, three were still good, one was missing the whole tip, and the others were so swollen that I barely got them out of the heads without breaking them. I replaced them with AC Delco 60g's. I had to swap the wire ends to fit the new plugs, and they take a little while longer to warm up, but from everything I've garnered on here, it's a small trade off for not having to worry about them swelling when they go bad.

Last edited:

jccomer9

Where did you get the wire ends cause if they are that bad that is probably the route I would wanr to go as opposed to grinding the tips down every time I get new plugs... just seems like a hassle

georgia mike

I just used regular old 1/4" crimp on speaker connectors. They were quality pieces though, not cheap-o Harbor Freight stuff. They are completely vinyl insulated from tip to tip. I keep an eye on them to make sure the vinyl insulation hasn't melted from the heat, and have yet to see any issues.

EDIT: like these:

264.Jpg

Edit again: I should also mention that the glow plugs have been converted to work with straight 12 volts instead of all the stepping down 24 volts deal. It was also done before I got it, so I don't know what all was involved to convert it, but apparently it's the better way to go. With the 24 volt setup, when one plug goes bad, the remaining glow plugs receive too many volts and the problems cascade from that point. Or so I've read here :p

Last edited:

georgia mike

Yes. That may not be the proper way to do it, but it's working for me, and I've had civvy 6.2's in the past and they were that way when i bought them, and were still that way when I sold them.

jgb680

I used the new wire ends on my m1008, most of my original ends were worn out and loose anyway. The ends work well, and I have been running the 60gs for two years with no problem. If you need to purchase the right size wire ends you can get them at any auto parts store.

richingalveston

you can get those ends in High temp, they are red. that is what I just put on my 1009 when changing to AC60g's and getting rid of the resistor. I beleive the High temp ones are good to 250 degrees. they are real close to the exhaust thats why I went with the high temp ones.

cpf240

I went with the Bosch glow plugs when I changed mine. I bought the glow plugs and new terminal ends from Cucvelectric. The terminal ends look just like the originals, but wider. When I put the new terminal ends on, I crimped then soldered them and added heat-shrink tubing. I converted to 12v supply and replaced the glow plug relay before putting in the new glow plugs. Luckily, only 2 of the wellmans were bad, and none swollen beyond easy extraction. I did pull the batteries and the rear battery tray to make access easier.

MarcusOReallyus

I just used regular old 1/4" crimp on speaker connectors. They were quality pieces though, not cheap-o Harbor Freight stuff. They are completely vinyl insulated from tip to tip. I keep an eye on them to make sure the vinyl insulation hasn't melted from the heat, and have yet to see any issues.

EDIT: like these:

View attachment 401174
That doesn't look like vinyl to me. That looks like nylon. Nylon is MUCH better than vinyl. Of course, it costs a bit more, but it's well worth it. I used to install business radios and cellphones (back when they were car phones) for a living, and I always used 3M nylon connectors. Well worth the little extra they cost.

Yes. That may not be the proper way to do it, but it's working for me, and I've had civvy 6.2's in the past and they were that way when i bought them, and were still that way when I sold them.

It's working for you because it IS the correct way to do it. :beer:

Always use a quality crimp tool! Like the Klein shown below (second image).

Those El Cheapo all-in-one stripper-crimpers (with the connector kit, first image) are not worth your time and money.

Attachments

georgia mike

I used to install car audio & security systems. These were left over from those days. Nylon is correct, for some reason I was thinking vinyl. Maybe one too many sips from the Sour Apple Sass bottle last night lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks