• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first CUCV

danny81

I found this 85 m1009 a couple weeks ago, I think it was a good deal for 1600 bucks.Odometer shows 32,000 miles, I had to replace 7 of the glow plugs. I'm having trouble getting the last one out, I dont know if its just carboned up or swelled as the other seven were not swelled. Also had to replace the driverside door since it took a fairly good lick at one point.
I also noticed the sway bar bushing are shot, and the bushings for the leaf springs don't look that great either. But other than that its not bad at all for a twenty five year old truck.
Future plans for the truck include
LineX bedliner inside and out
actual gauges(cant stand the dummy lights)
cowl induction hood
rear bumper mounted spare carrier(anybody know where the best place to find one?)
tailgate handle for back window

Anyways this is my new project, I've gained alot of good information from this forum and I do appreciate all the knowledge

Attachments

danny81

The glowplug thats stuck is on the passenger side in the very back(hardest one to get to!!), I soaked it with some PB Blaster and let it set over night, but it didnt do the trick. I didnt want to jack on it too hard fearing it would break off and I would have to pull the head, but I found out later from this site that if one does break you can remove the injector and fish it out. When I get back home I'm thinking about doing the blowout technique, I read about it on this forum somewhere. I've also been looking for extractor tool that I've read about, I'm sure it'd come in handy

danny81

About the gauges, I was planning on leaving the dummy lights as is and using mechanical gauges for the water temp and the trans temp, Not sure just yet where I can install the oil pressure sending unit, I'll be using electrical gauges on the pressure gauges, I've still got alot of studying to do!!!
From what i've read about the electrical systems on these trucks I'm going to leave everything as is untouched as possible, I've got enough to fix without causing more problems

91W350

I was slow to jump onto the M1009 bandwagon, but what a fantastic vehicle. Not a load puller, not a rock crawler, just a great way to get around with the added security of decent 4x4 and an economical package for a large vehicle. Great ride, yours looks like it has all the potential in the world, nice find! Glen

rnd-motorsports

Nice lookin truck! alot of guys dont like the blow out way to remove glowplugs but it works just put a towl over it to stop it have done it ! :oops: I'm sure I will hear about now LOL!!! and as far a gauges I alway install gauges I hate the lights that never work the oil presure sender is in the back top of the block next to the vac pump just like a small block! and the temp sender is the one on the driver side front corner. the one on the pass side rear is for the glow plug temp sender removing the temp sender will not bother anything and you can put a tee in the oil presure sender to leave it!

danny81

I didnt know the glow plugs had a temp sender. I'm thinking the fire dept. were the ones that converted it to manual switch. Theres a selonoid wired up on the firewall that supplys the GP. This is the first diesel i've owned, but I've worked with detroits for the last 11 years. I've always loved the 71 series, They can take alot of abuse. And are easy to work on!!
I was shocked at the fuel mileage that this truck gets, I checked it twice and both times showed me i was getting 22mpg. It's still running stock 31-10.5-15's tires, Does that sound about right to yall? I havn't checked the speedo with the gps yet, it might be off a tad

danny81

Well I plan on the shop spraying the outside, but I plan on doing all the prep work myself, I figure it'd be alot cheaper if i just rolled the inside myself. The last time I checked I could get a gallon of linex for about 75 bucks,

rnd-motorsports

Yes the milage sound about right! the glow plugs would not know when there needed if not for the temp sender! they are good engines if you maintain them and don't over rev them they don't like the abuse!

sarge1

Argh. I keep seeing people post up pics of CUCV's quite a bit cleaner than mine that spent less. Starting to think I overpayed by quite a bit.....aua Nice looking rig.

erniemigi

if you ain't got one allready installed on your cucv, you might want to put in a block heater, i got mine from oreilly's for $22 for a 600 watt or you can get a 1000 watt for $40, other than that you got a good deal, nice looking truck, yeah i got mine from GSA for $1445, a heat gun was my best friend for getting the stickers off then using laquer thinner to get the residue off

Attachments

Last edited:

danny81

Very Nice looking trucks!!! Nice price on yours ernie, I dont see a speck of rust on yours. And I'm sure it'd stand out with that shiny yellow paint job!! Ranchhopper got a question about GL, Are they fairly easy to deal with? Can anybody purchase from them?
My wife likes mine so well, I'm seriously thinking about getting her one where she won't drive mine!!!
And yeah thats great advice on the block warmer, Definetly the first thing I'm gonna do when I get back to the house.
Where in MO are you located Sarge?

ranchhopper

GL is a hassle if your not used to dealing with them and their rush to get your money once you learn how things go with them it gets easier you just prepare things in advance.I always use the same guys to haul my trucks when they are over 400 miles away they know the drill and are used to working with GLs lack of assisting them getting loaded at certain sites.Most guys do OK with them go into it realizing you will have some kind of snag in the process and you will do OK.