• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First Deuce Arrived (Long post with Pics)

wikallen

Drain your tanks after you park it every time. Get out the TMs on operation. Reach in from behind the spare tire to get to the drains on the air tanks.

Also, per the TMs, adjust your parking brake correctly. You will loosen the handle first, then have to get under the truck and adjust the shoes per the TM.

As far as hills go, like mentioned before, start in the low range, but use 2nd gear. You can let the clutch out, and the truck should start going fwd even without pushing the accelerator. After you get moving, you can choose how you want to get back in high. I mostly work my way into 5th, then grab the high range and back into 4th. Or you could start out with L2 and instead of shifting to 3rd, grab H2 instead. Whatever you are most comfortable with.

Never use the clutch to hold yourself on a hill. In fact, I never hold the clutch at a stop, I take it out of gear and my foot off the clutch.

sellbooze

I thought my truck didn't have a air pressure buzzer till I read this post. Some one at some point had disconnected that 85 wire from the pressure solenoid. I got her plugged back in and BUZZZZZZZ .
I feel much better to now that I will have a heads up if the air has failed.:driver:

wbdodgeiv

As far as hills go, like mentioned before, start in the low range, but use 2nd gear. You can let the clutch out, and the truck should start going fwd even without pushing the accelerator. After you get moving, you can choose how you want to get back in high. I mostly work my way into 5th, then grab the high range and back into 4th. Or you could start out with L2 and instead of shifting to 3rd, grab H2 instead. Whatever you are most comfortable with.
My shifting strategy as well. I split it in one of three places, depends on how much time I have to get going, if I am on a hill, traffic, etc. I think that shifting from low to high in second (L2-H2-H3) or third (L2-L3-H3...) If you are on a hill, L2-L3-L4-L5-H4-H5 works pretty well. I find the fastest way to make the split it so shift the xfer case then double clutch and rev match on the 5-4 shift. This takes longer so I wait till I the ground is leveling out, other wise I just cruise at 35mph until I have the time to shift and not lug the engine.

x-ray

I've read some other threads about freezing lines and draining the air tanks. I'll have to find the appropriate manual and learn how (though yesterday was well above freezing). I haven't started it up today to see if I can get air pressure again, but even if I do, I certainly don't want it to drop off like that again.

Any advice?

After you are sure you have drained the tanks well, checked for leaks, etc. I would also check/adjust or replace the air pressure regulator - They are only like $15 or so new and easy to install (simple plumbing skills with a wrench). Its under the hood and against the firewall and looks like this one here-

OD Iron LLC Military Vehicle Parts and Accessories

It can be adjusted on the end to increase or decrease max pressure of the air system. Maybe your regulator is set way to low.

andytk5

Way to go on Nat Geo!!!:driver:

I watched that with my family (we recently purchased one) and they were excited to see our truck and all the cool reasons to have a multifuel! Looks like you and your wife have a blast with it. Bravo!

pinzgauer pete

prepper

Yup I was watching preppers just yesterday, and saw the deuce and thought well this guy has the right idea..just to find out Jeremy is a member of this site. Very cool and definately a nice truck that has so much potential for customization and can serve as a self contained mobile shelter...just in case the sheit..hits the fan

dmetalmiki

Nice truck and Informative post. I have not read all the replies..But had noted your question "how do I get power in to the body"?
There are TWO plug sockets above your head on the shop body in picture of you holding arm up to truck.
One is for 115 volt A.C. Mains inlet and one is 24 VOLT D.C.
The one nearest the floor is the 115Volt inlet.
Above is the 24 VOLT D.C. Inlet.
I don't use that on mine as I have (U.K.) 240 A.C. mains in running my appliances and THEN an 240 volt dropper transformer down to 115 Volts (ac) for the ORRIGINAL U.S. 115 Volt ac Equiptment. (lights Heater etc).
My internal lighting is U.S. 115 A.C. and blackouts with 24 Volt combatt emergeancy lighting.
Your INPUT for truck JUMP STARTING is on the back of the drivers CAB on the round quarter near the "grab handle". 24 VOLT D.C. In. Good Luck , Oh and practice "Double Clutching".

Attachments

Last edited: